How to block posters

reisgio

Re: HOW TO BLOCK POSTERS

Post by reisgio »

This entire thread should be removed if this forum is to have any ability to attract users who will actually add to the dynamism of the forum. If a new user came on here this week he or she would be completely underwhelmed by the utility of ISR's forum and ISR overall.
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

I've never read so much drama on a forum page. We are supposed to be educators, lets not relive high school people.

What does your professional code of conduct ask you to do when you have an issue with someone? Please enlighten me, because I follow the ATA professional code of conduct. Yours, I hope, is similar to mine, or at least it calls for this professional stance when trying to resolve an issue: "go to the person who you have issues with and talk to them, if that cannot be resolved, then you seek higher authorities." To prove and put my point into more professional wordsmith, I have copied and pasted four sections from the ATA code of conduct, which I honour to the letter:

"12
The teacher does not undermine the confidence of pupils in other teachers.
The teacher criticizes the professional competence or professional reputation of another teacher only in confidence to proper officials and after the other teacher has been informed of the criticism, subject only to section 24 of the Teaching Profession Act.
The teacher, when making a report on the professional performance of another teacher, does so in good faith and, prior to submitting the report, provides the teacher with a copy of the report, subject only to section 24 of the Teaching Profession Act.
The teacher does not take, because of animosity or for personal advantage, any steps to secure the dismissal of another teacher.
The teacher recognizes the duty to protest through proper channels administrative policies and practices which the teacher cannot in conscience accept; and further recognizes that if administration by consent fails, the administrator must adopt a position of authority.
The teacher as an administrator provides opportunities for staff members to express their opinions and to bring forth suggestions regarding the administration of the school."

source: http://www.teachers.ab.ca/About%20the%2 ... olleagues-

So ultimately people I am asking as a professional, and as a gentlemen to other ladies and gents that we, as a collective, agree to stop "bashing" pysc guy for his opinions.

just my 2 rmb.
phi

Post by phi »

To Admin

I'm not quite sure why using the one word or two word version of "cr@phole" to describe a region is something that should not be allowed - it is one person's opinion after all and they should be able to express it. Incidentally, there is a thread calling Bucharest a backwater or something similar on this forum - now as a former resident I could take offense and report that user or I could grow up and accept that it's not everybody's cup of tea - guess which one I'm going for. After all I'm sure Bucharest will still stand despite that bashing and so will the Middle East.

As for bashing schools by tiering, that's even more confusing to me. I thought this forum was meant to give us, regular teachers, a voice and ultimately keep us all informed - that includes warnings about schools where one might find it unpleasant to land Are you suggesting that nothing negative should be posted about any school anymore or are you just objecting to the language? To clarify, is it ok to say something like "I have it on good authority that X is a truly awful school" but not ok to say "X is a sh*te hole"?

I would really hate to see this site turn into a boring factual guidebook of international schools providing only factual info, not to mention that would be redundant as such info is freely available already on a multitude of other sites.

To other posters: I have read many many of psyguy's posts and yes, his opinions and language are strong but he NEVER gets personal, while a lot of other posters did and that is bullying plain and simple - though poorly disguised as "political correctness".
Yantantether

Re: How to block posters

Post by Yantantether »

@ lifeisnotsobad

Don't take it personally, they didn't even inform me of why I was banned either! Actually, they didn't even tell me I WAS banned! I just couldn't login anymore :-)

Anyway, enough of this, summer hols are approaching folks :-)
bigfatgit

Post by bigfatgit »

As one of the 2 members who complained about the use of "crap hole", I used it as just ONE example of what, I feel, was unacceptable about a lot of posts by another member - posts that (again) I feel were intended to be offensive / provoking (and I don't mean "thought-provoking").

In a personal email to ISR Admin, I said;

To be honest, ISR is generating a lot of negativity on several other teacher forums over your bans while allowing one poster to break nearly all of your terms and conditions. Try searching "crap hole" on the forum and see how many times the same poster comes up slagging off an entire region. Now substitute USA for the Middle East and wait and see how many of your members complain. Still find that acceptable?

I also believe a lot of his post are intentionally misleading - pontifications about schools without actual knowledge of them (other than using Google etc) can affect teachers looking for genuine advice - and when challenged, he goes on the offensive

A lot of the posts since then have been unacceptable but, once again, you do have to ask, "Why were some taken to task and others weren't?"

Some of his recent posts actually make me concerned for his health and well-being

ADMIN RESPONSE: YOU COULD HELP US BY POINTING OUT THE POSTS YOU FIND UNACCEPTABLE BY USING THE FLAGGING FEATURE THAT ACCOMPANIES EACH POSTS. YOU COULD ALSO USE THE BLOCKING FEATURE OUTLINED BY A PREVIOUS POSTER AND THIS WILL REMOVE ALL POSTS FROM YOU VIEW.

AS WE HAVE SAID THE FORUM HAS A LOT OF TRAFFIC AND IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR US TO MONITOR ALL POSTS. YOUR HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED SO WE CAN ALL AVOID THIS PAST INCIDENT.
Ifyousayso

Post by Ifyousayso »

Group hug, move on.
notyouraverageturd

Post by notyouraverageturd »

You are wise to block a certain poster. The guy often posits opinion as fact, and is totally off base. Hopefully most of those who come seeking advice are smart enough to see through him, too. I would hate to see someone take a job or make a life choice partly based on his ill-informed comments.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

chilagringa wrote:
> As a junior high teacher I know how to strategically ignore people if I
> need to.

*like*
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

what other teacher forums? dave's?
i would love to know because i'd like to have as much info and opinions about the international teaching scene and cities as possible...care to share any particularly good/useful ones? anyone?

thanks in advance!

v.
bigfatgit

Post by bigfatgit »

www.tes.co.uk then look in community

And it's free!
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Unfortunately they won't let us name schools or people and comments of any use to me are not permitted. There is some good information there but it stops short of what I'm looking for. Any other suggestions? I'l love to find another resource. Dave's ESl Cafe has some good forums but there terms of use are super strict, and even compared to the recent ISR update of the forum use rules. Here's an example from ESL cafe.

Public comments or questions regarding Moderator actions or decisions have never been permitted on this board.
Instead, address your comments/questions by PM to a Moderator. Public posting of such comments/questions here will result in a permanent ban to include one's IPs. There is no requirement for a Mod Team explanation or justification of actions or decisions taken. This is something all members agree to when joining this board. This policy is applicable to all forums on this board.

Hey! Maybe the ISR forum ain't so bad after all. I for one am glad to see some of the worst offenders gone from this venue.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I was totally banned from Dave's ESL cafe once upon a time for asking about someone else who was banned. They are crazy strict over there.
bigfatgit

Post by bigfatgit »

TES doesn't let you name schools but there are easy (cryptic) ways around that eg Al Rehab British School = Amy Winehouse School, El Alsson = Al Jolsson etc

Some times they go a bit crazy and and delete things - they used to delete all my posts about the ACE Club, (presumably thinking it was the initials of a school), until I sent them a photo of about 40 expat teachers drinking "lemonade" at said premises (Association of Cairo Expats

One thing about the TES is that if one poster comes on and talks "nonsense" in an authoritative way or tries to dominate the forum, they get blown out of the water in, often, quite funny ways. It's very much self-moderating in many ways

One poster actually wrote several sections in his book / web blog of his postings about various posters (myself included) as a "Dad's Army" script (for you youngsters on here, Dad's Army was a classic British comedy about the Home Guard in WWII)

Comedy genius
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi BFG! I remember you from TES and postings from Egypt, a long long time ago now :-)

The problem with TES is it is British-centric, so many schools that are relevant aren't commented on. More people coming over there might cure that, but so far, apart from the drama, I am pleased with ISR and what I can find out.

I do notice though, that on TESjobs, back in the day there would be 16,000 positions posted (yes, dear readers, sixteen THOUSAND JOBS POSTED FOR WORKING IN THE UK!), but now there is only 1600 to 2,000. Things got tough over there!
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Yes! I haven't been on TES for some years. Your comments remind me of the time I was at the Jerry Lewis just down the street from the Bob Hope. I've looked for you guys over there but can't find you. Can you try to post a link here. Maybe it will last long enough for me to see it.