Living in Shenzhen China?

whoamI?

Living in Shenzhen China?

Post by whoamI? »

Hi Shenzheners (or ex Shenzhen teachers).

I'm just wondering how this city is. I've read it is expensive, but cleaner than say Chongqing.

How much would it cost to rent a 1 bedroom apartment?
Are there still "night markets" peppered throughout the city?
Do you find the city to be very westernized, a little bit, or not very much at all?
How often do you see blue skies? haha

What are some of the best experiences you've had in the city? Some of the worst?

Do you hear lots of Mandarin on the streets?

Any other tidbits you can share?

Thank you so much, and I apologize for the scattered logic of my questioning!
eion_padraig

Re: Living in Shenzhen China?

Post by eion_padraig »

Mandarin is spoken widely as most Chinese living in Shenzhen are from elsewhere, so it's much more likely to be the common tongue of folks.

How much would it cost to rent a 1 bedroom apartment? This depends heavily on the quality and the area of the city you want to live in. For instance, Shekou you could pay a lot, while outlying areas you'd pay very little. It would be helpful to know what area of the city you'd be considering as that is a big factor.

Do you find the city to be very westernized, a little bit, or not very much at all? I think Shenzhen is probably the easiest place to live as a foreigner in China. While Shanghai may be bigger with more foreigners, Shenzhen is right by Hong Kong so it's easy to get across the border. The foreign population is pretty big too. What you don't get in Shenzhen is a long tradition of anything, but because you have transplants from all over China it's easy to find food types from lots of other areas of China. Again, none of the Mainland cities are as Westernized as Hong Kong, but Shenzhen is a easy place to live.

How often do you see blue skies? The weather tends to be nice in the Fall, but clear days do not necessarily mean pollution free. Shenzhen typically has better air quality than Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou. From January through April you'll get fewer sunny days, and the air quality tends to be worse. You might get a good day of sunshine a few days a week. The bigger issue for me is how humid and hot it gets.

I would say the downside to Shenzhen is it's lack of specific character, but it's also a pretty well designed city. The subway is convenient. You get a taste of what the rest of China has to offer, but people are transplants. Very few old people in the city, which is very strange when you compare it with other Chinese cities.
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

eion_padraig wrote:
> Mandarin is spoken widely as most Chinese living in Shenzhen are from
> elsewhere, so it's much more likely to be the common tongue of folks.
>
> How much would it cost to rent a 1 bedroom apartment? This depends heavily
> on the quality and the area of the city you want to live in. For instance,
> Shekou you could pay a lot, while outlying areas you'd pay very little. It
> would be helpful to know what area of the city you'd be considering as that
> is a big factor.
>
> Do you find the city to be very westernized, a little bit, or not very much
> at all? I think Shenzhen is probably the easiest place to live as a
> foreigner in China. While Shanghai may be bigger with more foreigners,
> Shenzhen is right by Hong Kong so it's easy to get across the border. The
> foreign population is pretty big too. What you don't get in Shenzhen is a
> long tradition of anything, but because you have transplants from all over
> China it's easy to find food types from lots of other areas of China.
> Again, none of the Mainland cities are as Westernized as Hong Kong, but
> Shenzhen is a easy place to live.
>
> How often do you see blue skies? The weather tends to be nice in the Fall,
> but clear days do not necessarily mean pollution free. Shenzhen typically
> has better air quality than Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou. From January
> through April you'll get fewer sunny days, and the air quality tends to be
> worse. You might get a good day of sunshine a few days a week. The bigger
> issue for me is how humid and hot it gets.
>
> I would say the downside to Shenzhen is it's lack of specific character,
> but it's also a pretty well designed city. The subway is convenient. You
> get a taste of what the rest of China has to offer, but people are
> transplants. Very few old people in the city, which is very strange when
> you compare it with other Chinese cities.

Thanks for your advice, the school I'll be working for is located in Shekou. Is there another district or "area' that is close to Shekou, but not asking for 15000 rmb rent? Or is that the standard?

I'm coming from Wuhan, so I'm actually worried that Shenzhen will be too westernized.

Thanks for your tips.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Yeah, Shekou will feel like you are not in China if you're coming from Wuhan. If you want something more local and a chance to engage with Chinese folks more, living in another district where rent is less expensive might be a good idea.

So I've been to some of the schools in Shekou, but I'm more familiar with areas of Shenzhen In Eastern Shenzhen. So first, you'd want to know where your school picks up teachers (I'm thinking there should be buses for teachers) and see what the areas around those locations look like. Often international schools in China recommend teachers just take the apartments of teachers who are leaving if the landlord has been good. there are some advantages to that, but again you may not consider those places a match for you personally.

If it's reasonable to get to your school via the subway, you may want to see what travel times are like. Generally, the subways are not too bad earlier when international schools open since most Chinese work places open later. Going back home after work is likely to be more crowded, but I think Shenzhen has the best subway system in Mainland China. It's the least chaotic, and probably the best designed. Being on the subway line has real advantages when you are doing things for fun on evenings and weekends.

What about spending a weekend or time before you leave China for the summer in Shenzhen looking around? Granted apartment searches are terrible in China, but it could be worthwhile.

Honestly, you may not end up liking Shenzhen as much as Wuhan, but there are lots of cities in Guangdong and Fujian that you could visit on the weekends if you want a more authentic China. But I will say Shenzhen has no where near the pollution that Wuhan does, but I'm a big fan of Hubei food. If you have a decent level of Manadarin, you'll get by just fine all around the south. And you'll be able to meet local friends if you're interested.