Cambridge Silk Road International School_ Bishkek, Kyrgystan

qwunk89

Cambridge Silk Road International School_ Bishkek, Kyrgystan

Post by qwunk89 »

Hi. Does anyone have any feedback on this school? I cannot find any reviews online.
qwunk89

Re: Cambridge Silk Road International School_ Bishkek, Kyrgy

Post by qwunk89 »

Vandsmith,

You got me all excited. I thought I finally had some first-hand feedback on the school . . or at least living in Kyrgyzstan. You did bump up the thread.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I cant comment on the tier of the IS, as its basically Silk Road and QSI in the region. The IS is about 2 years old its a definite local school and local leadership/ownership but with a British atmosphere and cultural environment (in the same way that Hogwarts has a British School atmosphere). They offer a British NC program and external Cambridge examinations, but they arent accredited by Ofsted.

New school means growing pains, and disorganization, but you could fly under the radar pretty easily if you wanted to, and could make excuses for two years. Theres also room and opportunity if you wanted to skip the line into leadership which often happens with new ISs that are finding their way. Just start jumping in and taking responsibility and you could probably self anoint yourself an HOD in a few months, could be in line for senior admin/management by the end of the contract.
qwunk89

Post by qwunk89 »

Thanks for the response PsyGuy. Definitely some useful information. Apparently, the number of students are doubling for year two and are comprised of about 60% local students and 40% international students. Thanks again for the reply. I think I am going to accept the offer.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@qwunk89

Well yes but double their current numbers still isnt a very big student population. That 40% "international students" doesnt mean westerners.

If you take the offer strongly consider continuing your search, Silk Road is a nice low hanging fruit/safety position.
qwunk89

Re: Reply

Post by qwunk89 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @qwunk89
>
> Well yes but double their current numbers still isnt a very big student
> population. That 40% "international students" doesnt mean
> westerners.
>
> If you take the offer strongly consider continuing your search, Silk Road
> is a nice low hanging fruit/safety position.

Is it acceptable to continue searching after accepting a position?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@qwunk89

That depends on the circumstances and who you ask. If the IS and you were agency repped, there would likely be some consequences if you didnt spin it right. With a young 2 year IS thats mostly local and lower tier, no ones going to care,or be in a position to exercise any serious or even likely minor consequences. The risks however are greater in the case of this IS:

1) They are young, and likely with unstable resources, funding, or ownership could easily vanish resulting in the IS disappearing, or staff reductions.
2) They have a small enrollment, and while growing it doesnt take much to change the staffing requirements of the IS, your position could be excesses or an over hire very quickly and easily.
3) Private ownership is a single individual, meaning there arent any safeguards to protect your job or contract if someones friend or family member wants or needs your job.
4) Usually the most important factor an IS needs to protect in relation to contract integrity is its reputation, this IS doesnt have one, if they rescind your contract/offer its not even going to cause a whisper or ripple in the IE community.

Is your "word your bond", sure if the strength of the bond goes both ways and for certain classes of ISs it is, but while ITs may "break contract" or pull a runner, with ISs its a withdrawn contract or rescinding your appointment, and then they file a piece of paper and wont think another moment about you or their "word/bond". Nothing happens to them, there isnt any oversight or enforcement that an IT can for practical purposes pursue.
qwunk89

Post by qwunk89 »

PsyGuy,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm new to this process and your insight and advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Alliecat

Post by Alliecat »

@qwunk Has your research turned up anything new? Did you accept the contract?
qwunk89

Post by qwunk89 »

Yes, I did except the contract and will by flying to Bishkek at the beginning of August. Are you considering a position at the school?