Ideas for International Jobs

bounty

Ideas for International Jobs

Post by bounty »

Hi,
I have taught in England for 10 years as a primary school teacher and I am just about to complete a year of International Teaching in Oman.

I have signed up for another year but I am looking for ideas of places to go next. I am a very hard-working and committed, have a strong CV and so would prefer a good school if possible, especially as the school I am at now does not pay the best. I am also sporty and like to run outdoors, so being stuck on a compound in Saudi would kill me.

I am looking for a good school 1st, but not just for the money, (for the school) and then considering the place 2nd.

I am looking at Asia in places like Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, etc. Are there other places I am not considering ?- I would try most places. I would prefer somewhere not too busy and polluted so have ruled out China or place like Bangkok/Jakarta. I like a night out but somewhere like Dubai is not for me.

Sorry, I know this sounds needy, but it is scary moving country. I am not very good at deciding. Is the TES the best place to send CVs, or the schools?
dover2013

Re: Ideas for International Jobs

Post by dover2013 »

Montevideo.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I know quite a few runners who run outdoors in Saudi all year around. There is a running group called the Riyadh Roadrunners that organizes a season of running, including a marathon, there are biking groups, swimming groups, football groups, rugby groups, walking groups, dancing groups (many different kinds), language groups, singing groups, drama - all of this in Riyadh, the most conservative of 'international' cities in the Kingdom. The British School of Riyadh is a very good school, the package is top rate, the accommodation lovely, with access to a wide range of facilities.

Don't let yours or others' preconceptions put you off of even considering an area. We spent 7 years in Saudi and would go back if the right opportunity came along. Although we are happy in our new positions, there are definitely things we miss about Saudi.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Why bother with the ME, and avoid the Kingdom, theres just no reason to stay in the ME if your not motivated by the money when many of the locations you cited in Asia like Malaysia. I would of consider one of the little tigers with Singapore high on that list as well as Japan.
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Remember that if you move to Singapore, Malaysia, etc. in SE Asia its hot and humid. It seem pretty obvious that heat and humidity can slow you down, but I didn't really think about it before I moved to SEA, ran half as much, and gained 5kg. You may also want to consider how developed a place is for infrastructure. Running in crowded and chaotic places like say, Ho Chi Minh vs. places like Tokyo is a big difference.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

There are several running groups and clubs that run around the Imperial palace in Tokyo on a daily and weekly basis.
bounty

Post by bounty »

Thanks, they all seem like good ideas. The dry heat seems preferable to the humid conditions.

I would love to go to Japan but not sure if it is too expensive. I also don't see many jobs advertised there. Is it competitive.
bounty

Post by bounty »

ps, Montevideo look amazing too! It is so hard to decide! Unfortunately I only speak French (very badly) so learning the Spanish from scratch would be tricky.
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Yes, it is competitive. Japan has relatively few international schools and people tend to stay at the good ones for a long time. They are not really places people just happen upon, but plan years for. ASIJ, Yokohama, perhaps St. Maur for top schools. About a dozen others between Tokyo and other cities at not as high a level. Japan can be expensive, but no more than any other developed country. The days of the bubble are long gone.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@bounty

Japan is very competitive, its one of the most desirable regions. When you look at regions that are less hot than the majority in or near the tropics you have Japan, SK, and China, you've already rules out China for health reasons and of the remaining two SK and JP, JP provides a better life experience.
ASIJ, Yokohama, BIST are the top tier schools.