German driver license? International driver license?

nightheron

German driver license? International driver license?

Post by nightheron »

I recently accepted a position in Germany. Has anyone had experience with using their American driver license to get a German license? I don't intend to purchase a car, but it would be nice to have the option to rent a car on occasion. Or does anyone know about the validity of an international driver license?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You can use an IDP (International Driving Permit) as long as you are on a tourist visa, when you have a resident permit (work permit/visa) you are required to get a Euro/German drivers license, within 6 months. The IDP is actually just a translation of your driving privileges, you need to have your actual US license.
There are 2 pathways, some states have full reciprocity, you can walk in and exchange your license for a German one by just submitting the paperwork. Other states only have partial reciprocity, and you must complete the written German examination.
seashell

Re: German driver license? International driver license?

Post by seashell »

I did it! I am from a state with full reciprocity although it took them a while to figure out I was from Washington State, not Washington D.C. I've also never driven a manual drive in my life. It depends on the state you are from. You could have to take an eye test, first aid course and the theory test. You need to get your license translated ADAC will do it for about 50 Euro I believe. They will take and keep your American license so if you will need it go before you leave get a copy (most people tell them it was lost). German drivers licenses are good FOREVER, no need to renew.

Although my partner and I just bought a car here it is expensive between petrol, insurance and in this area parking. If you can check out Stadtmobil, a carsharing service. I find driving here to be super aggressive and I'm not at all appreciative of no speedlimits on the autobahn--hence bf is the official driver in this family.
nightheron

Re: German driver license? International driver license?

Post by nightheron »

Thank you! Very helpful. I did a little research and I currently live in a state without reciprocity (CA). Before I go overseas I will be using my family's address in Ohio as a permanent address. Ohio has full reciprocity so I am wondering if I get an Ohio driver lisence this summer if it will count or if I will be seen as trying to cheat the system. Thanks for any help!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@nightheron

You need to be licensed 180 days in whatever state you are claiming reciprocity from prior to entering Germany. If you cant meet that standard you have to fulfill the requirements as if your state did not have full reciprocity.