AP Schools

CDNTEACH

AP Schools

Post by CDNTEACH »

Hello all -

Any recommendations for top AP schools or AP training? Am I shooting myself in the foot by pursuing AP, not DP?

Thanks
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes you would be shooting yourself in the foot. AP isnt really a program the way IB is. AP is solely an external assessment program. Marks/rating are determined entirely by the exam. There is no requirement for anyone to be AP trained to teach AP courses. What makes a course AP is having an approved syllabus, and many schools just buy one. The standard for training is a 5 day workshop, which if you attend you get the completion certificate. What matters (like IB) is having documented success in teaching it.
IB (DIP) is far more marketable.
nikkor

Re: AP Schools

Post by nikkor »

It kind of comes down to what you want to teach. There are plenty of excellent jobs with schools that use each curriculum. I'm not worrying about all the great AP jobs drying up any time soon.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Its easier to market and extrapolate AP from DIP than from DIP to AP. DIP scores are attached to an IS, its a direct representation of the ISs performance and hence its reputation within the IBO community. AP is attached to a testing center (some ISs are testing centers) but the performance is less attached to the school. DIP scores matter in determining if a student gets an IB diploma, its an exit level requirement. While there is an AP diploma there is nothing requiring an IS to use the program or offer the AP diploma, its just a test score that may or may not get the student tertiary credit.