Prem Tinsulanonda, Thailand

Yantantether

Prem Tinsulanonda, Thailand

Post by Yantantether »

Does anyone have any specific first or second hand knowledge of this school?
Salary scale, housing allow., flights, atmosphere, etc.

Thanks
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Prem Tinsulanonda, Thailand

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Disclaimer: I have never worked there.

Salary is around $40K per year (give or take 5K depending on education and experience). Flights every 2 years. Housing provided. No idea about salary scale.

I have interviewed with them and later had further experience of the admin I interviewed with. It's a boarding school and fairly isolated from my understanding so you are "on" most of the time (if not actually on duty). You need to be OK with boarding duties, extracurricular activities and being immersed in the school life. On the plus side, I hear that it is a nice campus and beautiful part of the country. I can't add anything about current admin or atmosphere at the school. I am wondering why the savings potential is a little light (around $5K for a single teacher) given that your expenses should be fairly low.

I would love to hear something from someone with recent/current 1st hand experience.
PIEGUY

Post by PIEGUY »

Plenty of reviews on the paid section of the site. Most look accurate. New administration during this year - no idea if/how/when they're changing things. Can be a 'fishbowl' - most teachers live on campus. Pay is the most a teacher can hope for in that region of Thailand - and they earn their pay. Absolutely need a vehicle.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

wrldtrvlr123 wrote:
> Disclaimer: I have never worked there.
>
> Salary is around $40K per year (give or take 5K depending on education and
> experience). Flights every 2 years. Housing provided. No idea about salary
> scale.
>
> I have interviewed with them and later had further experience of the admin
> I interviewed with. It's a boarding school and fairly isolated from my
> understanding so you are "on" most of the time (if not actually
> on duty). You need to be OK with boarding duties, extracurricular
> activities and being immersed in the school life. On the plus side, I hear
> that it is a nice campus and beautiful part of the country. I can't add
> anything about current admin or atmosphere at the school. I am wondering
> why the savings potential is a little light (around $5K for a single
> teacher) given that your expenses should be fairly low.
>
> I would love to hear something from someone with recent/current 1st hand
> experience.

Thanks for that WT. Any idea if there is tax to pay out of that salary you stated? Also, any idea what the housing is like?
Agree, the savings should be higher than that, unless as I mentioned, there is 20% tax out of that? Also, you would most likely have the added cost of needing to buy a car/bike.
TeacherInThailand

Post by TeacherInThailand »

I teach at a different international school in Thailand and have been to Prem's campus as part of activities with my current school.

It's a huge, beautiful campus in the middle of nowhere about 20-30 minutes north of the city of Chiang Mai (which is a nice size city with everything you'd want). The teacher housing are on-campus apartments. Not fancy, but nice and definitely live-able. The one I stayed in while there (they put up the visiting students/staff in their housing) was a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment with a living/dining room combo and a separate kitchen.

As to taxes, in Thailand, generally taxes are taken out automatically... I'd say about 4%. You can file a tax return at the end of the year. I got a refund last year of almost everything I paid in.

As for overall salary, from what I understand, the pay at Prem is good for Thailand... and the cost of living in that area will be on the lower end.
Quijanotango

Post by Quijanotango »

Regarding taxes in Thailand at 4%, either I just got the best news in weeks, or I am afraid this is just not right...before accepting my first IT job in Thailand, I did quite a bit of research on taxes. There is a tax scale with bands which go up as high as 30% taxes. I would think anybody working at a decent IT in Thailand would hit the 30% threshold. This does not mean you'll pay 30% taxes on all your earnings but only the amount over that Threshold. Just google 'taxes in Thailand' and you'll find all the relevant info. Bear in mind that accomodation is also considered a 'benefit in kind' and hence taxable.
Please make my day, prove me wrong and tell me that taxes in Thailand are only 4%...
Vernacular

Post by Vernacular »

It's not 4%!
Sliding scale, based on income, up to about 30%. The highest rate will certainly include teachers at most international schools.
TeacherInThailand

Post by TeacherInThailand »

Oops! Sorry for the wrong info then.

My school did our salary package in different sections... base pay, housing, "other" (pay for subbing for other teachers and/or tutoring). I was thinking they only took out about 7% total, but then I got back a lot of it. But I could be totally wrong. I'm definitely not a math teacher!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I only know some very low paid ESOL instructors who pay anything but the 30% tax rate that an IT would be assessed.