Certification

jbiersteker

Certification

Post by jbiersteker »

Hi Folks,

Just a general question and I apologize beforehand if my presumptions are incorrect or my situation is not clear. I have a 4-year degree (Bachelor of Arts) with a double-major in PE and history, in addition to a fifth year Bachelor of Education (teachable areas are Social Studies and PE) from Canada. It is my experience that most of my American compatriots achieve the equivalent of my Bachelor of Education in four years, and then usually complete a Master's Degree in their fifth year. Obviously I have many more university credits than the typical American teacher with a four-year degree but we are getting paid the equivalent. Is this a normal situation in most international schools? It seems we are being penalized slightly for a more strenuous teaching requirement in Canada and with my home province of Ontario now requiring a four-year Bachelor degree (with two teachables) and a two-year Bachelor of Education program, this disparity will only grow in the future.

Thanks!!
shadowjack

Re: Certification

Post by shadowjack »

An education degree is an education degree. It gets you to the same column on the grid.

A masters is a masters. It gets you to the same column on the grid, being paid more at most schools, than the B.Ed staff.

They don't look at one is four and one is five.

Hope that helps! Sticking around another year in your present location? Asked you that awhile ago and never heard. LOL - we are at our location for another year - it's very good so far.

shad
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Hi Shadow,

My apologies for not replying before, but yes, we are staying. Ontario is getting ready to go on strike (particularly my home board of Durham as one of the 7), and we just think we can get a better education for our kids here (though the workload is tough).

Sigh, yeah I thought that would be the answer. It's a little frustrating because many of the Master's Degrees I've looked at are just warmed-over Bachelor of Education degrees and its hard to pour yourself into meaningless work that you've already done.

Anyways, onwards and forwards, we still love our decision and wish all the best to you and Mrs. Shadowjack!!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Have you looked at the U of A's masters of educational studies? 2 years - mixed online and onsite courses in Edmonton. Seems good.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with SJ, ISs base salary scales on academic degrees not years of study. A Bachelors is a Bachelors, a Masters is a Masters, etc. (you can still get a 3 year "bachelors" degree in some countries). Its too much work an effort and causes too many compensation issues to base compensation on years of study, as it would tend to reward those who moved slowly through academia, as well as raising payroll costs. ISs want to minimize costs not expand them.

I agree that many M.Ed and MAT programs are little more than re-branded B.Ed, Bachelors and post teacher certification programs, especially in the States where "certificate" awarding programs have little popularity or utility. I would think however that a 1 year M.Ed program would be easy for you to complete?
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies...my biggest problem is that I can't really stomach Faculty of Education courses (does that make me a bad teacher?), yet don't really have the time with a full-time job and family to complete one in other areas. I would love to do something in Educational Philosophy, but they are difficult programs to find.

I've recently come across one program that I am interested in but have two problems:
a. they want an essay that I have written which I don't have access to here in Korea
b. they want two recs from former professors (let's see, I finished school in 1993 and figure most of my profs wouldn't remember me, have retired or are dead).

Needless to say, I"m working with the school to try and find solutions. Onward and forward!!

Thanks!!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

JB - The MES program leads to a research masters. With it, you can actually do a PHD program, unlike many of the masters out there. You can tailor the masters to fit your areas of interest. It isn't just regurgitating educational psychobabble.

This is from a friend who did his masters there a few years back. Total cost, he said, was about 10,000. He has made that back since doing it.

Check it out at http://mes.ualberta.ca/
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jbiersteker

Yes it makes you a bad teacher, but in very good company. Masters programs are about persistence under adverse conditions not developing yourself as a scholar or practitioner.

Research masters are far more marketable in pursuing a Ph.D than an M.Ed if that is your goal. Most doctoral level education programs are little more than "how to do research" programs.