ADEC vs UK

sid

Re: ADEC vs UK

Post by sid »

And one more thing that you may or may not care about. I do, but others don't.
Flats in the UK are teeny tiny compared to what you'll be used to in Canada. Seriously small. Whereas in the UAE, spacious compared to Canada. Being a bit claustrophobic, the larger flats would tip me over to choose the UAE.
Both options include discipline issues. UK has less money, smaller flats, and the possibility that your service will be indelibly recorded as supply teaching, meaning useless on a CV.
I don't agree with other posters that the UK service would be better on a CV or more valuable to you as a developing educator. It could go either way, and you won't be able to know in advance which will be better for those factors.
I say go to the UAE, do a couple years, and then move on as a stronger educator to whatever sort of post suits you.
Oh, and from the UAE, you can visit Jordan, Oman, Lebanon and check out their historical sites. Not so extensive as in Europe, but some pretty cool stuff. Roman ruins, Petra, Aqaba, stuff like that, and the flights are shorter...
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

If it was something other than ADEC like one of the top tier ISs in the ME than there would be something to debate, but ADEC isnt going to do anymore for a resume than supply teaching in the UK, at least youll have NC experience and build some familiarity with the curriculum.
The UK option has far more opportunity to develop utility and marketability, ADEC has no such opportunity. theres no "other way to go" for the ADEC position, the only benefit you cite is larger housing.

Its either grief and the money in the ME or its grief and professional utility and marketability in the UK