What's it like at the bottom of the barrel?

Tyshine

Re: What's it like at the bottom of the barrel?

Post by Tyshine »

I can't say I read every post, but I can say go for it. I was once an ESL teacher, and where I am now is much better. I went through the TR program, and know other people who have been successful with it as well. I also know other teachers who were once ESL teachers years ago and are very happy they made the transition.
senator

Post by senator »

The bottom of the barrel can be great. Often, these schools will leave you alone as soon as you show that you know your stuff, unlike the "Top Tier" schools with their "What have you done for me lately" attitude where you have to constantly prove yourself on the hour.

As I've stated before, just because a school is a bottom tier school does not mean you cannot have fun, teach well, travel, and save $$$!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@sophiamartin

I dont disagree with senators observation. There isnt a list of ISs in any tier, and ISs in the margins (between tiers, such as floaters) has some of the greatest degree of disagreement.
tcatsninfan

Post by tcatsninfan »

This isn't on topic, but I've been a registered member of this site for months and yet I can't seem to send private messages anymore. What's that about? I'm logged in now and can't even find any option to check my old messages. Do the admins disable your PM privileges if you don't log in often enough or something??? I even tried to use a link in an old ISR notification email telling me I've received a PM, but the link just gives me an error message.

The reason I'm posting this here is because I wanted to PM leipanga. I'm in a similar situation in some ways and thought we might compare notes. leipanga, can you try PMing me? Thanks!
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PM's have been (permanently?) disabled for everyone. The stated reason by the site administrators was that they had received many complaints from forum members who had received unwanted or harassing private messages.
tcatsninfan

Post by tcatsninfan »

wrldtrvlr123 wrote:
> PM's have been (permanently?) disabled for everyone. The stated reason by
> the site administrators was that they had received many complaints from
> forum members who had received unwanted or harassing private messages.
Jesus. I'm sure it's happened before, but I've never heard of a message board disabling private messages. Craigslist refuses to get rid of their sex ads but ISR removes PMs. OK.

Is there some way to talk privately with someone besides posting email addresses in threads?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Not easily. Unless someone joins/belongs to another forum where you can PM and wants to volunteer the forum and user name (like TES).
leipanga

Post by leipanga »

Hey! First, thanks to everyone who posted more recently with advice/encouragement. I still obsessively check this forum so it's appreciated. :)

Second, I know it sucks that PMs don't work. I have a spam/throwaway e-mail at preservingmachine@gmail.com that you're welcome to contact me at, though!
tcatsninfan

Post by tcatsninfan »

leipanga wrote:
> Hey! First, thanks to everyone who posted more recently with
> advice/encouragement. I still obsessively check this forum so it's
> appreciated. :)
>
> Second, I know it sucks that PMs don't work. I have a spam/throwaway e-mail
> at preservingmachine@gmail.com that you're welcome to contact me at,
> though!

Just sent you an email. Thanks!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I recall that the harassment in PMs was more about spam type of issues.

If you want to post an email address i advise you do so and then edit the message and remove the address, bots index this site nightly and your email could be harvested for advertising and spam.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Probably right. I've never gotten spam or harassing PM's so I can't say much about it.