Contract ? – Typically how comprehensive are IS contracts?

Liberty218

Contract ? – Typically how comprehensive are IS contracts?

Post by Liberty218 »

This will be my first International School experience and I would love to hear from some seasoned IS teachers. I just received my official contract from the school it has been notarized and is translated in both English and the country’s native language. The current version of the contract gives a high level overview of the package, but does not give a lot of specifics around many other critical elements. For example it only states that I will be provided a “settling in allowance”, “furnished housing” and “health insurance.” My concern is that the contract does not include ANY additional information that we've discussed verbally. For example: the amount of the settling in allowance in writing, an overview of housing provided (e.g., two bedroom, etc.) and details on when health insurance begins. Is this typical? One other worrisome element is that it says “attempt” to pay on X date each month. Has anyone else ever seen this type of language in a contract in the clause around pay? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I want to be sure to get this part right! Thank you in advance for your help.
Heimtun

Re: Contract ? – Typically how comprehensive are IS contract

Post by Heimtun »

I am an attorney as well as a teacher, and I would never sign a contract with terms as vague as you outlined. The contract that my husband and I signed has the shipping allowance specified, payment terms (i.e. amount in US dollars, 12 monthly installments, the step on the scale, etc). The purpose of a contract is to have both parties on the same page as to the relationship between the parties, and any ambiguity should be resolved.
It should be perfectly reasonable to write them and ask for them to insert specific language as to each of the benefits you will receive, number of working days in your contract, etc. If they balk at your request, you should think twice before signing.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

My experience has been that the contracts havent always included what gets talked about orally. That said, I have been satisfied with director follow through on oral promises.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Mine has specifics in it. Everything we discussed via Skype, email and in person was in the contract. I'm guessing there's a deadline to sign, ask for clarification first highlighting the verbal commitments.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

A contract should have numbers when it comes to how much, how long, how big, etc. I would first start by requesting an updated contract with specifics. One of four things will happen:

1) You will either get a corrected agreement it in the form of an updated contract (or as an addendum, memorandum of understanding, etc. to the contract).

2) You will get an explanation, something along the lines of the only quantity the IS can guarantee is your salary and everything else housing, relocation, travel, etc is determined by the current policy which is "fluid" and subject to change, adoption, modification, etc.
The other type of explanation you may get is the "definition" explanation, they apologize for the misunderstanding but the school will only provide relocation reimbursement or travel up to a certain amount and only for what the actual costs are, and under specific conditions (special receipts must be procured, etc). Since they dont have these values now, they cant or wont include them in the contract.

3) You will get an excuse, the school will try its best to comply and provide you with conditions such as a 2LDK apartment, but if your just a teaching couple and you dont have kids and there isnt a 2LDK available than you might not get a 2LDK apartment.
The other excuse you might get is the IDK (I dont know) excuse which in the case of your health insurance the IS may be int eh process of negotiating a new policy or a new carrier, and the only answer they really have is they dont know.

4) The misrepresented themselves. Talk is cheap, in their mind your worth $X and their bargaining position gets a lot stronger once you get on the plane. Its too late to pursue other options, and youre on the ground. "Sorry you didnt understand" is the common apology, but this is the situation and the deal, something between what they intended to provide and what you thought they agreed too. Take it or leave it.

Contracts vary widely by region and culture, and what westerners consider a contract often means something different in Asian countries. Most often its an indication that the other . will try to the best of its ability. Many Asian organizations however will not perform against their interests simply because it is on a piece of paper. They wont lose money or overpay just because something is in a contract.

Contracts really dont mean anything, they are for the benefit of the school not the IT. If the school breaks the contract, as a foreigner you often have very little recourse and even fewer resources. If you get there and they dont deliver your only real enforcement is to walk, at your own expense. They will post a vacancy and go back to their applications and fill the position in a week. Youre in a foreign country where you dont know the language, dont know the system, and probably have limited resources. What are you going to do for income while you take a year to go to court or a labor board. The school if they dont pull your visa will likely revoke your work permit. You dont have a place to live (since they are supplying and probably guaranteeing your housing). So you find a hotel and start looking for another job, or you go home.
Even if you do say, the IS isnt going to testify that "Yes, they broke the contract" they are going to say you misrepresented yourself, you were unprofessional, or a bad fit. All of those are legitimate and valid reasons to cancel a contract and are VERY difficult to defend against. The admin/management knows that in all probability your just going to leave.

Your agency wont do anything (most likely) to help you. Its going to be the same you said they said, and as long as the IS pays the placement fee another vacancy for the school to fill is an extra $1500-$2500 fee for them to collect.
Liberty218

Post by Liberty218 »

Thank you for the replies. I truly appreciate the feedback. As a first time IS teacher I want to be sure I'm getting it right so I appreciate the time everyone took to help guide me.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I had a head try to pull a switcheroo on me a number of years back. Luckily, my wife saved a small piece of paper from our interview where the principal had written down a list of benefits. We were able to get him to pay us a couple of hundred dollars for a re-signing bonus, but only with the promise that we would not tell anyone. Get everything in writing now, because later on, everyone remembers what was said differently.