Singapore

Spawnboy99

Singapore

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Can anyone help me regarding Singapaore, have an up coming interview, understand Singapore is and can be expensive, but would like to know trends regarding salary etc from people that live their. Some people are saying you need to earn $60,000 Sing Dollars with accomadation allowance just to survive, dont know if thats true or not. This would be a married couple no kids with only one person working as other half maybe able to apply for a transfer with job.
owenleb

Re: Singapore

Post by owenleb »

Singapore is quite expensive. 60,000 with no housing is on the low end of the scale around here and would be quite difficult. Housing rates fluctuate depending on location but you are probably looking at 2800 US a month for something decent - more than that if you're closer to the city. Utilities are also high.

The rest of Singapore is what you make of it. Buy a car, it'll cost you big time. Take taxis, not so much, and public transport is cheap. Eat out at restaurants, it'll cost you. Eat at the local food centres and it won't. There's also the travel - unlimited destinations nearby but travel in SE Asia is getting more expensive and it depends on how you travel - upscale travel can add up. It's easy to get sucked into the 'spend money' philosophy here and discipline is required if you want to save money.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Thanks that what people are saying any schools to stay away from ????
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

60,000SD is about 5,000SD a month. Taxes are about 20% in SG A 1LDK apartment that isnt a house share or room share (private just you) will cost about 2500SD a month, thats 30,000 a year or half your salary and thats before taxes. That leaves you about 1500SD a month (after taxes). utilities will run you about 250SD, mobile 100SD, MRT about another 100SD. You can eat for about 10SD a day if you eat cheap at home, and eat school lunch. Thats about 300SD a month. This leaves you about 750D for discretionary spending and savings.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I was in Singapore for about 25 years, and left early last year at the age of 66 to retire in the States. The taxes in Singapore are low, about 10%. However, the GST is very high, and as a result, the cost of groceries is perhaps close to the highest in the world.

The last year I was there I paid for my own apartment, since I retired there. My apartment was about 700 sq feet, furnished, near the MRT (subway), and I paid S$2,500/month. However, I now find out that rents have fallen more than 10%, so the situation is certainly better now.

The last year there I had the opportunity to sub at all the schools, and it was so much fun. I think that S$60,000 might be difficult with a wife and child, so you'd need to live far from the center of the city.

Regards,
Rob