What to bring to Japan

lizzieworth

What to bring to Japan

Post by lizzieworth »

Hello,
I'm moving to Japan in the summer to start a new job (yay!) but have no idea what I should bring! I have to ship my things in advance and can't wrap my head around what I should start packing. I'm not planning on bringing any furniture, but I am wondering if I should bring things like a blender or iron... Does anyone have any suggestions for what items to bring? Thanks in advance!
pgrass

Re: What to bring to Japan

Post by pgrass »

Anti-perspirant deodorant. It is not as easy as you think to buy.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

Are you sure about that? I've found that available in basically every convenience store or HAC Drugs in Japan....

It's however not available in the supermarket.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

That is usually just deodorant that lasts 15 minutes in the summertime. It isn't anti-perpirant.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

Your right - most of the stuff is body spray. They normally carry one strong MALE (don't know about female) type in Lawsons. For the rest - you have to go to chemists.....
zeddyau

Post by zeddyau »

Congratulations on the position. I am also heading to Japan come August.

If anyone else can add to this list it would be greatly helpful.
PIEGUY

Post by PIEGUY »

1. A comprehensive map for the train system nearest where you'll be living. Study it thoroughly before you go.
2. Japanese phrasebook.
Vernacular

Post by Vernacular »

Shoes, if you're anything larger than 'petite'.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Google Maps works great for the JR and the Metro. Its pricy but you can get western brands of anti-perspirant from Amazon JP and there is usually one kind of anti-perspirant at the larger drug stores and pharmacy. There is an American Pharmacy/Drug Store at Shinagawa station and a smaller one in Shibuya in Tokyo.

My suggestion list:

1) Medical: You dont know when your health insurance is going to kick in, when youll have a chance to see a doctor, and a lot of other factors. Generally medication is MUCH cheaper out of the states. Have your prescriptions written in their chemical/empirical formulation (Tylenol is not Acetaminophen its Paracetamol). Have your doctor write a letter listing all your medications, dosages, and what you take them for. Have your doctor stamp it with their department of health stamp. Have your optometrist do the same for your glasses/contact lens. If you use contacts research in advance whats available. Some of the newer lenses arent available yet in many places. Having that little white prescription slip, just isnt the same. Some places require a medical examination and blood work for a visa/work permit. Talk with your school about this in advance, some schools will want you to have it done in advance some schools will take you to a clinic when you arrive. Understand that many Asian countries will not admit you if you have HIV or TB (thats the reason for the blood work and chest x-ray). You might want to have a physical before you leave and a letter about any chronic or current medical conditions you have. Im on the fence about vaccinations. Im vaccinated against everything practically, but unless your teaching out in a very rural or undeveloped area (such as a jungle) about the only thing id really recommend is hep a and hep b. If your traveling to Africa you HAVE to have a yellow fever vaccination, even if the area isnt endemic now, you dont know how it will change.

2) Documentation: Bring AND have uploaded a copy of your contract, work permit, airline itinerary, passport, drivers license (including international driving permit/IDP). You should also have copies of your kids birth certificates and your marriage certificate (as well as their passports and other documents).
If your planing on driving in your new country you might need an IDP. They are only good for a year, but Ive heard people get and pay for 2 of them and just have them dated for subsequent years. That said if your REALLY going to drive you need to get a local license at some point, try to AVOID giving them your USA drivers license as in some countries they find their way on the black market. Your passport is the most important document, and you should register with the nearest embassy/consulate in your area when you arrive. Avoid walking around with your passport, yes you can be asked for it anytime, but the only time you really HAVE to have it is when your going to the bank, checking into a hotel, going to the consulate and registering at the police/immigration office. The rest of the time carry a photo copy of the ID page and your visa page. If you ever get stopped and asked why you dont have the original tell them your very sorry, and you didnt know, but loosing your passport is a time consuming and expensive process, you have to replace the passport AND the visa. Once you get a PR/or alien registration card, carry that with you. Lastly have copies of important banking, including credit card numbers and checking account and routing (ISBN and SWIFT) numbers if you have bills back home to pay or plan on doing a wire transfer.

3) Personal care: So basically unless your really brand loyal to a certain product (shampoo, shaving cream, makeup, razor blade) you can most likely find a local available brand. If your happy with any shampoo for instance you will be fine. When you start getting picky thats when you have problems. Most stores will have one (maybe 2) international brands and unless you understand the language you will recognize them from their packaging. These tend to be the most expensive as well. Some things are just not available (if you use a new razor, you might not be able to find the blade refills), in which case you have to consider the cost of ordering them online or having someone back home send them to you, or switching. Its very impractical except for small things that have a long reuse time to bring enough of something for a whole year (things like soap, shampoo, mouthwash, etc). Ive had several ethnic coworkers who were very unhappy they couldnt get certain hair care products.
Personally, the two things i have trouble with finding are antiperspirant and contact lenses. I use to have a problem finding rubbing alchohol, but then i just bought a bottle of 180 proof grain alchohol and problem solved.
Woman have it harder, guys need like a dozen things tops woman seem to amass a never ending number of bath/beauty stuff (i had a teacher this year who couldnt find a ped egg, (i dont know what that is), but took her months to stop complaining about it). If you HAVE to have proactive or some other very specific bathroom thing, you need to find out if its available and then decide if its important enough to you to order and ship overseas. Lastly, if you ever need to find something the airport may have a shop that carries your specific item, and also try asking or checking at one of the international hotels in your area. Sometimes the concierge can direct you to a supplier, or you may find that a shop in the surrounding area has it. You may also be surprised what you can buy from a hotel directly. I had the hardest time finding frosted flakes and was at a hotel brunch once that had frosted flakes, and then talked to the restaurant manager who was happy to sell me boxes of it (though it was expensive).

On a side note hotels are AMAZING resources. Need to send an international fax, no problem. Need something translated, they can do that. Want to go for a swim, ask about a daily facility pass. Want a bottle of Moscatto, the wine steward can take care of you. Need a haircut with someone who understand English, they probably have a salon, and if they dont have it, they can tell you where to find it. Want to find a certain place, walk up to a hotels front desk and say your sorry but your trying to get to such and such place and they will write the name of the place down on the back of a business card in the local language then write the name of the place in English on the front and show the card to a cab driver.

4) Clothes: It should be no surprise, that you should find out the weather on your region and plan according, (you will not need a lot of sweaters in Singapore, but you will need a light jacket, sweater or wrap. Outside Singapore is hot and humid but INSIDE the air-con is set at 65-70). Some places have wet seasons where everyday you need an umbrella, dont bring one but buy one there. Check or ask about your schools dress code, some schools are fine with casual dress (khakis and shirt), some expect business attire (shirt/tie/jacket). As far as wardrobe stick with one or at max two themes. Blacks and neutrals work well for me., these type of overall themes are easy to adapt with accessories (Its easier to bring one black suit, and 5 ties, then 5 black suits and one tie). Woman have the hardest time with this because they have "outfits" that are composed of individual pieces that dont work with anything else in their wardrobe. Thats a lot of space for one days cloths. I think everyone should have one stunning piece and thats it. Understand that you may or may not have a washer and dryer. You will likely have access to a washer, but in a number of countries they dont use have dryer, you line dry your cloths. As such you should bring clothes that are machine washable, and anti wrinkle or no iron. Plan your wardrobe for longevity. There is little use in bringing 20 pairs of socks, socks are cheap and easy to find. Same thing with button down shirts and other "basics".

The only two things that are must haves are large sized shoes (above a 10) and large cupped bras (above a B) are next to impossible to find in a lot of asian countries. if your loyal (or your kids) are to "American" brand anything like A&F, Aeropostale, Hollister, etc, those brands are not likely to be available locally, or at very high (almost couture) prices.

5) Electronics: Bring your laptop, tablet, etc. Make sure you brink the adapter and a plug convertor. Be wary of other computer devices, most of them will need transformers and things like hard drives could easily short or overload. Things like hard drives, scanners, printers, are affordable and readily available. Of course if you need the hard drive because of the data, then you need it.
Smart phones are a maybe, if you have a GSM phone and can get it unlocked then bring it. If your on Verizon, or Sprint or other CDMA carrier, know that most of the rest of the world uses GSM, and your phone isnt likely to work. Maybe if you have a high end SLR camera, and wont settle for a phone camera bring that (but thats a lot of bulk). Aside from that the only other thing id recommend are an electric razor (if its dual power). Hairdryers and other small electronics are generally inexpensive cheap.
DVD's are a maybe, on one hand you can watch them on your laptop, and there isnt likely to be a lot of English language or American programing. Everywhere Ive gone there has been only a couple channels. That said region 1 DVD (USA) probably wonk work in a foreign DVD player, and an American DVD player (NTSC) is not going to support a foreign video standards. In many asian countries DVDs can be DIRT cheap, like $.25-$.50 each (yeah they are counterfeit), but thats the way it is.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I've been putting off writing this post - but it should be helpful for the most part.

In general, most objects can be found quite easily in Japan but there are a couple of things which I strongly suggest you bring. The main things are below:

1) Bring all of the clothes you think that you may need - as sizes/shapes/styles are most likely different than what you will find at home. Basic things like socks, shoes, gloves and the like are easy to find. Of course, specific female shoes can be a bit hard to find but females with more western style shoe sizes can easily pick up sports shoes which are mens sizes. I've got a normal sized male shoe and picked up most of my shoes in Japan (I've also got a fat sole). A strange piece of information I've been told (I'm not sure if it's true) is that many larger asian people tend to have fat on their backs, unlike caucasians who tend to have most fat on the front. There are larger male stores in Japan (called aptly Big & Tall) which I've never looked at but have seen in most larger cities.

2) If you like tea towels - bring them with you as good ones are hard to find. The same is also true of good sponges which are different than what I am used to in Australia. There are however a plethora of other types of sponges in the many 100 yen stores.

3) Almost all appliances can be purchased in Japan at a reasonable price. Do note that if you are waiting to buy an expensive laptop or camera, it's probably best to get it at home as prices seem to be more expensive in Japan and many models may be Japanese language support only (specifically for cameras).

4) If you want access to good cookware it can be found but is a bit more expensive and slightly hard to find compared to other countries. This is mainly due to the fact that most apartments have no ovens at all - and they are also hard to find. You can source ovens locally, but they tend to make the international space station look simple as they are all pre programmed in Japanese. My suggestion is to buy a more simple electric oven from Costco (I did this in Taiwan but not in Japan).

5) Learn to love Amazon Japan and Amazon US/UK. You can get a lot of clothes delivered and Japan Post is awesome. If I got home before 6PM then I could ring an English speaking JP rep to get my package delivered that night between 7-9PM.

6) Just bring the things which are really important to you - so don't overpack things which are sentimental but sit in a box. If you can leave a couple of boxes in your home country - this will make a big difference.

Unlike other countries I have lived in - there are not really a lot of things which I would bring with me. There might be some specific sweets or a type of food that you like which you could not find - but most things can be found in Japan.

If you have any specific questions - just PM me!!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with clothing its probably the number one most important category to consider. Especially for kids. Stores like American Eagle, etc during a sale shirts are around $50, and its very easy to spend a lot of money on clothing. My dark blue long coat (dress coat) was $600 and that was a pretty average price. Of course you can shop in Ginza and Omatasando and spend huge sums of money on LB/Prada/Armani as well. For many Japanese who will never own a car or house clothes and wardrobe is what they spend a significant amount of money on.

You can get tea towels pretty cheaply Daiso sells some cheap ones for $1, and the same with sponges you can get various sizes in multi packs also for a $1. If you want nicer ones and want to spend the money Tokyo Hands has them for about $5-$10.

As far as electronics go, if you have a real nice SLR I would of course bring it from home. If you were planing on buying one Id wait until you come to Japan, yes you will pay more (you pay more for everything) but you will get a local warranty and service options. You can get any electronic gadget and device you want, including Apple products, Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, etc.

If you really want an oven, you can get a table top toaster oven that will work just find for sheet cake, etc. Your apartment will also have whats called the toaster. Its a small broiler about as wide as a piece of bread and as long as two slices of bread right below the burners of your stove. You can do 2 chicken breasts, a NY strip steak, 3 fillets or a fish.
Cake is pretty cheap and widely available to just buy. There are bakerys all over the city many right in the train stations. Bread tends to be expensive though. If you like the fluffy white bread they come in basically small quarter loaves that vary in the number of slices. You can get 10 very thin slices or 6 Texas thick slices, its the same loaf, and prices are about $2 and up.
Yes good cookware tends to be expensive, but you can get cheap stuff and just replace it more frequently. Another option for kitchen equipment is Craigs List JP, people move and just give stuff from rice cookers and electric kettles etc away.

Yes love Amazon JP, delivery is practically the same day, usually within 4 hours. You can also pay at a Conbini store or through an ATM.
machan

Post by machan »

Congratulations on your new job!

1. Deodorants: It's been a year since I was back in Japan, but a store called Don Quixote has literally everything at a discounted price. They have a lot of imported products like deodorants, cosmetics, etc. A lot of Japanese people use deodorants in the form of spray instead of a roll-on or stick kind, but I saw regular American deodorant sticks at Don Quixote. I wouldn't buy any toiletries at a convenient store (Lawson, Seven Eleven, Family Mart, etc) because they are usually overpriced. You can also go to a drug store like Matsumoto Kiyoshi to get stuff pretty cheap. HAC Drug is fine, but I think their pricing is not the best in my opinion.

2. Shoes: If you wear U.S. size 8, you might have a hard time finding shoes that fit you. I wear Size 8, and it's usually the largest size available. There are stores specializing in larger sized shoes like Ginza Diana, but you'll have to find where they are located.

3. Clothes: Again, if you wear larger than Size 8, you may have a hard time finding clothes. I wear medium in the States, but I can only fit into sizes L or XL in Japan.

4. Underwear: I remember reading about limited bra sizes in Japan, but that's not necessarily true. They do have cup sizes up to G and even larger. You would have to go to a department store or a special lingerie store (Wacoal, Triumph, etc) to get larger sizes, but they are available.

5. There are IKEAs in Japan where you can buy affordable furniture. Be sure to check out a chain called Nitori, which is basically the Japanese version of IKEA. They have a variety of items including kitchen utensils, bedding, etc.

6. Electronics: If you are from the States, you should be able to use everything you are using in Japan. Computers and tablets definitely cost less in the States.