IS BRUNEI - SALARY/PACKAGE

Nomad68

IS BRUNEI - SALARY/PACKAGE

Post by Nomad68 »

Hi,
Can anyone give me uptodate details of the salaries/package offered by IS Brunei?
Thanks
Nomad68

Re: IS BRUNEI - SALARY/PACKAGE

Post by Nomad68 »

No replies but so many viewings.....really?
So what are the average salaries like at international schools in Brunei?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

No personal info. but this was from another forum earlier in the year:

Depending on school

Top of scale B$ 77000

Accom supplied however many pay extra

health covered except you must pay $30 for each visit to doctor

If you have chn you pay some fees, exam costs and books

Other school top closer to 55000 I would think

health covered and housing

FWIW
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Many thanks. Also, I was told by one Head teacher there that to work in a school in Brunei it seems you must be a certified teacher (even for admin/support roles) - otherwise the school can't get a work visa for you.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

The accuracy of that depends on the definition of "certified" in regards to teacher and the description of the responsibilities. If you have "interaction" with students children you need to be a qualified educator. If you do back office accounting and office management and dont have contact with students you dont. The real distinction lies in what is certified, as an ESOL teacher with a "certificate" from somewhere "not necessarily a Cambridge/Trinity certificate) would likely fulfill the visa requirements for an English Support Instructor, and anyone with a Bachelors degree could qualify for a visa as a teaching assistant. The issue recently has been enforcement, as long as the IS filled in the documentation correctly little was ever confirmed or validated. Recently, there has been more enforcement, which has caused problems, and resulted in an increase in recruitment requirements, as ISs dont want to risk being placed under a magnifying glass by immigration and labor authorities.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

@PsyGuy, I am a LMS so although I teach research skills among my other duties, it has not been an absolute requirement (in my personal experience) that I be a certified teacher. When I applied to a school in Brunei the offer was withdrawn on the grounds that the school could not get a work visa for me as all staff in schools have to be certified. It may have been baloney but i think the Principal was being honest as he genuinely was very keen to hire me. In fact it was one of the fastest job offers I have had and was made during the interview. It's moot now given the way Brunei is heading.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

Thats not true, there are ETs in Brunei that dont have professional educator credentials. They can get visas so you can get a visa. The recruiter likely found a more qualified candidate. Im sure the recruiter was very keen to hire you, and then found a candidate that they were more keen to hire. The fact that they offered you a contract during the interview could just as easily be an indicator of their desperation as much as their impression with you. You could just as easily have been a safety candidate for them.
coin_operated

Post by coin_operated »

@Nomad68

If the head teacher in question works at an international school, s/he is either woefully ignorant or lying to your face. There are local schools that hire ITs - maybe these visa requirements apply to them, but not ISs?
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@coin_operated

I cant see how a DS would have less restrictive hiring requirements than an IS. An IS may have credentialing requirements for accreditation, but those wouldnt have any bearing on a visa. The recruiter is either an idiot or a sociopath, and likely both.