*deleted*

marieh

Re: Question About Program Options for my Husband

Post by marieh »

" My question is (while we're still in the early planning stages), would he even be a viable candidate for non-bottom-of-the-barrel international schools with just a BA, post bacc certificate and teaching certification?"

From my experience, you can find positions at decent/good schools with those qualifications, but they will be in very, very sketchy locations.
klooste

Post by klooste »

Personally, I would recommend starting at a tier 3 school. It'll make you appreciate the Elites and tier 1s once you've put in your time.

Don't expect to land a job at a tier 1 school unless you've got a connection (sorry if my response is harsh, but its the reality)!
Keiora

Post by Keiora »

Thanks for the input guys. :) I don't expect (or want, for that matter) to start at a tier 1 school... I have no problem working in a less desirable location, smaller school or one that's recently starting out... What I want to avoid is putting ourselves in a situation where the only schools making offers are shady, or desperate because they're unable to keep teachers due to poor management or mistreatment. :)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

A teaching degree has more value in primary. What your husband really needs is experience. There are two factors that make an IT 1) What you can teach (degrees, certifications, etc) and what you have taught (experience), of those two experience is king. Absent experience, getting certified regardless of you get certified is all thats really going to matter. You dont want to be seen as too expensive an unproven applicant.

Bottom tier schools are going to be the only ones interested in you, primary and social studies with minimum experience is going to be marketable at schools in hardship locations or bottom tier schools that have issues retaining teachers. Thats why those schools are desperate and why they would hire you.