Singapore school board

tsalicco

Singapore school board

Post by tsalicco »

I just received an email from Apply To Education regarding the school board in Singapore recruiting teachers. I know the discussions here revolve around private schools be does anyone know anything about public in Singapore?

Thanks
shadowjack

Re: Singapore school board

Post by shadowjack »

Insane teaching expectations for a bunch of money.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You mean the Singapore MOE? They have been doing recruiting drives for SG now for about 5 years. Before that they still accepted outside/foreign applications for the civil service education ministry but they didnt advertise it. The issue since then is that Singaporeans dont want to become teachers anymore. There is more money and more importantly more status to study and enter traditional corporate routes. As a result like many aspects of the SG economy they are essentially importing a lot of their knowledge workers, while host nationals handle the "business" aspects (its next to impossible for an expat/foreigner to be appointed to a management/admin role in a SG municipal school).

SJ captured the experience beautifully positions are well paid 5000$SGD and up (10000$SGD isnt unreasonable), but the work expectations and ethic is crazy, suicidally insane. SG takes education seriously, they are the other side of the coin with Finland (same coin, just different approaches) SGs most valuable natural resource (aside from its location as an island) is its people. Students complete four years of primary and then are streamed into upper primary for 2 more years based on their abilities in language and math/science. At that time in year 6 they take the primary exit exam, and apply to go to secondary schools. Then based on their scores and applications they are assigned a secondary school. This is a VERY competitive process. In addition starting in year 3 students are tested (top 1%) for admission into gifted and talented program schools (this is really insanely competitive). The study of languages is very important in SG English is the 1st language but development of their mother tongue language is enforced throughout the primary and secondary school. Students in secondary are basically pursuing their O level examinations (O is for Ordinary) similar to a GCSE (and equivalent to the former O levels in the UK). IP students (gifted and talented) can skip O levels and go directly into a JC (Junior College) for the SG A levels or pursue an International Baccalaureate (yes IB) which is an option of all municipal secondary schools (its a national program) in SG (the IB regional office for Asia is in SG). ASP/XCs are required of all students (they must have at least one) though most of them have many more.

As a teacher you can summarize the expectations simply. Teachers are evaluated based on the success of their students, and student success is determined by testing performance and outcomes. There is no political or professional issue about what teacher performance is and how its defined or measured. If your students perform poorly YOU the teacher performed poorly. All subjects are tested, including fine arts, performance arts and vocational subjects.
The teaching profession is a year long appointment/job. There are 4 terms with 2 terms in each of two semesters. There is a month off between semesters and a week between terms, there are 3 school holidays and 10 public holidays, but teachers work for a significant portion of that holiday time. Usually a week of meds/peds and a week of curriculum between semesters. r
The work day is grueling. Classes start at 8am, but students arrive at 7, so teachers need to be there around 6. Since ASPs are required as well as tutoring your day doesnt officially end until around 6. Teachers get on average 1 hour per instructional day without classroom duties 30 minutes for lunch and 30 minutes for prep. SG teachers have usually only one prep, if you have more preps you get 30 minutes for each additional prep. Most though only have one prep. Class size is generally large with 30 students to a form/section though numbers as high as 50 will not cause anyone to blink.

Grades/marking is very serious in SG, teachers use ministry approved rubrics and assessment criteria and procedures. Grades are not disputable, a teachers assessment is generally and for the most part law (seriously law, teacher assessments have the force of law, they are not subjective opinions, they are legally admissible in a SG court as facts. This makes the burden of proof in academic cases very difficult to win, since the presumption is that the grade evaluation is a fact to begin with). This recognition has several considerable effects. Parents do not argue with teachers, admins do not argue with teachers over grades. Admins can not direct a teacher to change a grade. The only school body that can change a students grade is the school academic council, and only qualified teachers serve on the council. The council is composed of committees from each of the subject areas. As teachers they tend to watch out for each other, they tend not to dispute the professional judgement of other educators. With such a competitive learning environment a single grade can literally destroy in a sequence of cascading events a students academic life. You will spend about 2 hours a day in marking. Since grades are so serious, daily assignments and activities are more spot checked for completion than actual assessment.

As a teacher you will have no behavior problems. I mean none, zero, not even kinda sorta behavior problems. Not even attention wavering issues. You will walk into your classroom and your students will all stand, until you tell them to sit or you say something. They will not be on their phones or checking their hair and makeup. They will not be talking to one another unless it is academically related. If you tell your students "today we will be diagramming portions" whatever it is your students will be getting their colored pencils out of there desks. They are ready and they are focused, they can not afford to make mistakes. Students will do quickly whatever you tell them to do to the best of their ability. The worst absolute worst punishment you can give a student is to have them read aloud, and asking them to repeat a word, sentence or phrase. Correcting a student publicly is just the absolute most horrible thing to them. That saying there is no such thing as detention, or office referrals, or behavior management plans. Correction in a SG municipal school requires nothing more then a moment of time with a student to inform them you expect higher quality work for them.
tsalicco

Post by tsalicco »

@PsyGuy...holy crow! That was an extensive review...thank you!!! My simple response is...if you were looking to save money and get back on your feet..would you do it? I see you have a lot of opinions in all the posts...I would like yours here :)
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

'My simple response is...if you were looking to save money and get back on your feet..would you do it?'

Oh, for heaven's sake c'mon, he's told you how he thinks it is. That's your decision now to make! Why do some people need others to tell them exactly what to do even after they have the information provided them? And these people are 'teachers!'
tsalicco

Post by tsalicco »

@Yantantether thank you for your incredibly rude comment attached to an incredibly sincere and respectful thread...I feel for your students...whatever kindness you teach them of you definitely do not model it.
whynot

Post by whynot »

"As a teacher you will have no behavior problems. I mean none, zero, not even kinda sorta behavior problems. Not even attention wavering issues."

Little bit too rosy. But yes, certainly in the top end of well-behaved. Beats the hell out of a state school in most IT's home countries.

"That saying there is no such thing as detention, or office referrals, or behavior management plans."

They exist, depending on the school.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

It wasn't rude at all. Blunt maybe, yes. I'm just blown away as to why you need someone to hold your hand and literally ask them to make a decision for you! By all means seek advice and do your research, but the buck stops with you and it's your life decision to make! How are you going to promote those qualities with your future students if you are unable to confidently do it yourself now?

Regarding me and my students: I promote a level of responsibility and independence that will serve them well in the future. As for 'kindness', well I'm all for it but not sure I can influence that as much tbh. Their parents and immediate family will more likely shape that one more than I am able to!

No harm meant and I wish you well.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I cant really tell you what to do, I dont know nearly enough about your situation. In SG, no not at all, SG is now the most expensive place to live. A 1BR that isnt a room share or house share will cost you 2500$SD and thats just the rent. If you were making a top salary and you lived very frugally, and you didnt have better options you could make it work, but it wouldnt be an optimal scenario.

Detention exists, its in the operations manual, just as expulsion and suspension are in the operations manual, its just not used. Little behavior management issues such as detention etc, have huge consequences for students. The social peer repercussions would be huge. who would want to associate with someone who was a trouble maker, it would label those students as trouble makers by association. The students peers would bring them in line far more effectively and efficiently. The system is just too competitive to allow for mistakes.