An Ideal World!

steve416

An Ideal World!

Post by steve416 »

So I am in my second contract in international schools and have been thinking a whole bunch about whether or not I would like a future as an IT (note: elementary teacher qualified k-6).

I graduated in Ontario with a B'ed and went abroad immediately as a result of the lack of opportunity for work at home (I had also done the ESL thing previously and had returned to school with becoming an IT in mind).

I have worked two years for a big British School and now work in the PYP (first year but I will stay next year so I will have 2 years experience in the PYP for the next job hunt).

Niether of the International schools I have worked with have been great. I find my current posting to be quite a slog but I am pushing through so I can get the PYP experience (I have taken a couple PYP courses in this time).

It seems like Elementary is always a competitive field and I am curious as to how I can differentiate myself in the future. What in your minds makes an Elementary teacher incredibly employable (other than a spouse in a high needs area)? Moving forward what could I do to make myself as employable as possible? If you could describe what you imagine the most employable elementary teacher imaginable to be what would they be like?

I don't think this will factor in too much but I do hold a Special Education Specialty from Ontario and have some experience working with SEN students at my current school. Also because it does seem to matter somewhat in the International School world I am Male, white, late twenties and hold an EU passport.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Short answer: a linguist, long answer: diversification and innovation.

Diversification:

1) Your next step is a Masters degree.
2) You already have PYP, Canadian, and British school expertise/experience, adding American school experience would round you out very well.
3) ESOL, SPED, and GT qualifications would address any special population needs, and add some utility and marketability to your resume, especially if you could show experience working with those populations in an IS environment.
4) An EU passport would help.
5) Completing PYP exhibition training and teaching exit level primary.

Innovation:

Building a SOTA (State of The Art) approach to education, really defining your methodology and pedagogy that is something unique and special. One of the reasons so many ISs slog through primary is that we still train and deliver primary education the same way as we have for 50+ years. Its still numeracy and literacy as distinct units. We have two distinct groups of individuals in a classroom, children (students) and adults (teachers). Those two groups learn differently. Adults break learning down into smaller and smaller procedures and then attempt to reassemble them cognitively. Young children are "wholistic" learners (no thats not spelled wrong), they have the capability of integrating learning units without the need of mediation (the whole learning through play builds on this concept). This gives us two different learning modalities in the classroom, most educators try to find a middle, which by definition necessitates some loss from optimal learning.
If you developed a learning approach that had a strong curriculum (most schools dont really have a curriculum, its what ever the teacher thinks is best that conforms to the guidelines provided) that was innovative, and in both methodology and pedagogy and presented it well youd have a lot of very interested admins, who would see your approach as a SOTA solution to whatever they think their problem is.
Thats really the key to marketability, being the best solution to someones problem.

Creating a "Grand Project" program where all the learning units were organically met through students whole world exploration within a real world frame work such as a school as a business, or education as a novella or producing a television show, and then create a product that describes the process, the procedures the format, and accounts for behavior management, and meeting traditional learning objectives with assessments, essentially creating your own "school in a box" product that was explicitly "different" from the traditional, that would get attention.

Linguist:

Language skills open up all kinds of doors.

1) So often in ISs we have westerners who only understand English. Language proficiency allow you to function within a culture (assuming it matches your language skills) much more easily, and takes a great deal of burden off of school resources. The school doesnt need to hold your hand as much. It also provides you with deeper opportunities to communicate with parents, and the other school members, and if your pursuing administration makes the tasking (those school tours) easier, and because its rarer more valuable.

2) It allows you pursue bilingual immersion options in a school and classroom. Young children are better able to learn languages in developmental age ranges when building early language proficiency. To do this though you need someone fluent in the host language to have an immersion or bilingual primary classroom, and its rare to find that.

3) Language proficiency opens doors to national curriculum ISs that because of language ability are generally closed to most ITs. You need french fluency to work at a foreign Lycee, or German to work at a foreign Gymnasium. A lot more schools become available and to you and because the language proficiency is so rare, there are very small pools of ITs applying for those positions.
steve416

Re: An Ideal World!

Post by steve416 »

That was a really thorough reply. Definitely different than I expected as well (I mean this in a good way)!

I have a couple quick questions about the diversification section, the SOTA approach I need to give some more thought.

The spec ed speciality I hold from Ontario would qualify me to work as Special Education Resource Teacher in Ontario so I am assuming this works for a Sped qualification? I do currently work in the Special educational needs department at my school on top of my regular classroom duties.

Would I be more marketable teaching upper primary (exit level primary). I am currently teaching a 4-5 split (I taught grade 3 for for the previous 2 years) and will later this year be working on my first exhibition. There is opportunity for me to do exhibition training later this year as well.

I had actually been thinking about moving down in grade level to the more 1-2 range. I was told often in my B'ed program about how much more marketable I would be in lower primary (marketable in state schools in Ontario) because of how rare male teachers are in that range.

Would staying in Grade 5 and doing exhibition training be a better idea because it is a more specialized skill set?
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Funny you brought up lower grades as I was going to even suggest lower into ECE teaching T-k or K. First taking some course work. I think you may find the classes interesting and helpful even if you didn't move to a lower age. To connect with the suggestion about working on methodology, teachers often forget or never really learn how children learn. Ok general statement I know, but we all know more than a few teachers that teach the way they always have and never seem to keep kids and their interests in mind. We learn how to teach them (direct instruction) but without an ECE background some teacher programs may never require taking more than a basic child and adolesence dev class. I've found all of my ECE class work incredibly beneficial in my teach experience from preschool directing (current) to past experiences in 2nd, 4th and yes even at the university level.

You're very right about males not being common in the younger year classes and this is a shame. i have a few male friends who are just amazing in the lower grades, but it's a lonely spot!

I'm taking advantage of my schools masters ( and Ed if I stay on longer) opportunities this next contract. Stateside it would cost me over $30k and 3yrs and it would be a lifetime of teaching before I'd see ANY monetary payback for that investment. From hours and hours researching IS options most schools do appreciate and compensate well for higher degrees.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

My impression (I'm in secondary) is that being a male elementary teacher makes you far more marketable than being a female elementary teacher based on the limited number of men teaching lower grades and the desire to have male role models in elementary schools. Again, the rest of the stuff people talked about is great too. The few single male elementary school teachers I know have had great success in getting hired at schools they were interested in once they had experience and PYP training.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@steve416

Yes, your SPED qualification would meet that requirement, you can check that off the list.

In general yes, upper primary experience and success is more marketable. You have competitive lower secondary schools in many regions that parents want to get their children into, and successful experience in upper primary is going to have significant value compared to a teacher with minimal or no experience. Adding further experience and qualification with exhibition is going to add to that value, since many PYP teachers lack exit year PYP and exhibition training and experience. You always increase your marketability when you can and have done something that has a demand and the suplly is low.

I disagree with the other contributors. The male primary teacher is more common in domestic schools, but in ISs its not. There is certainly available male primary ITs if that was the case. Most ISs especially ones that have a predominate local national student populations, parents want a more maternal teacher for their young children.

Yes, staying in year 5 and adding exhibition training would increase your marketability, and the opportunity is available to you now. If you let it go and someone else does the training and takes over exhibition and year 5, the opportunity may not become available again without moving ISs, since that would require the school to absorb the cost of training another IT in exhibition when they already have one.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

steve416 wrote:
> That was a really thorough reply. Definitely different than I expected as
> well (I mean this in a good way)!
>
> I have a couple quick questions about the diversification section, the SOTA
> approach I need to give some more thought.
>
>
> Would I be more marketable teaching upper primary (exit level primary). I
> am currently teaching a 4-5 split (I taught grade 3 for for the previous 2
> years) and will later this year be working on my first exhibition. There
> is opportunity for me to do exhibition training later this year as well.
>
>
> Would staying in Grade 5 and doing exhibition training be a better idea
> because it is a more specialized skill set?

If you are happy at your school and have an opportunity to gain the additional experience of exhibition training, why not give it another year? If you're in a supportive environment and are enjoying teaching that age, stay and grab that training.

If you do decide to explore younger years, do consider some of the ECE coursework even as a fresher of developmental stages. The school I will be joining next year does have at least one male teaching in every grade level from K-5. That's unheard of to have that many stateside, so I'm thrilled there will be that diversity of teaching staff at my IS. As a longtime child development teacher (early years for IS world), I can tell you the field wishes more men would break the stereotypes and teach in the younger years. I've had the pleasure of working with two men at the toddler/young 3s and they were incredible educators as well as nurturing and supportive. I have a colleague who directs a co-op school for 2-thru kinders in the Seattle Washington area. "Teacher Tom" is beloved by his students and families.

Good luck this year and on. You've got some good problems to solve I think! Feel free to PM me if youve got an early years questions.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

"The school I will be joining next year does have at least one male teaching in every grade level from K-5. That's unheard of to have that many stateside, so I'm thrilled there will be that diversity of teaching staff at my IS. As a longtime child development teacher (early years for IS world), I can tell you the field wishes more men would break the stereotypes and teach in the younger years. I've had the pleasure of working with two men at the toddler/young 3s and they were incredible educators as well as nurturing and supportive."

That's great for your school Basmad6. I certainly see the value in it. I would still say that ratio is not that common at international schools, and I suspect your school is a bit of an outlier. Better schools probably have an easier time recruiting to do that if they have that as a goal. And are there some schools that don't see it as an advantage? Sure, I can see that happening too.

Now, if you count a male PE teacher who works with various grade levels then maybe my school has that too. But if you're saying, your school has at least one normal classroom teacher per grade level who is male from K - 5 I think that is not very common, but admittedly don't have statistics to back up. I just know the few schools I've worked at and meeting elementary school teachers at other internationals schools. They have been overwhelmingly female. I also take this from a couple friends who are male elementary classroom teachers who've commented that it's easier for them as male teachers finding jobs as single teachers and (more importantly) teachers with trailing spouses.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

It's not common anywhere. Males tend to not teach in the lower grades and its a shame whether they don't feel comfortable or hirable who knows. I'm just thrilled the staff I'll be working with have bucked the "system" because the male teacher's kids and their female peers benefit from the different perspective. I guess you can say it's similar to women not going into sciences or math as frequently as their male counterparts. Interest, skill, desire or even comfort being part of what is viewed as a "boys club" could be factors. Great though when there's a variety of staff at all levels.