Do one year contracts harm your CV?

chilagringa

Re: Do one year contracts harm your CV?

Post by chilagringa »

I mean for when I move back into IT
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chilagringa

I would highly advise it. You may have a recruiter/admin/HOS who isnt familiar with the employment environment in your domestic location. Schools often assign initial screening of application materials to non-supervisory staff. Your resume might pass through secretaries, and office staff, teachers and administrators outside your domestic region.
Recruiters/admins/HOSs may not be current on the employment conditions domestically even if its a region they are licensed or experienced in.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

When it comes to logistical questions like that his advice seems pretty sound.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I would say that if you absolutely have to leave after only a year be prepared to either bury that year or defend it because it will red flag some recruiters. And absolutely make sure that you stay in your next job for 3 or 4 years. I have a couple of one and two year stints on my resume - all perfectly valid and explainable but they have caused me problems. There's good advice on here that you should always try to do the third year after the initial 2 years.
erbear79

Post by erbear79 »

I have a similar question. I am new to international teaching, have been offered a 2-year contract. If I go and after one school year decide overseas teaching is not a fit, can I say I don't want to come back the next year? How far in advance does someone usually need to let a school know something like this? I'm not going in with the intention of leaving, but am curious how that works. I'm assuming people have done it, but would like some inside perspective. Thanks.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@erbear79

Understand that many ISs require notice of leave around Octoberish, so you would be submitting your intent to leave your position after only a couple months at most. An admin may well dismiss then and there someone who attempted that. It would be more stable to hire someone for the rest of the year and next year than keep someone around who was leaving so quickly.

If resigned before your term of service matures or expires, you would essentially be breaking contract. The ISs policy may reduce or eliminate some or all of your end of contract benefits such as flights, shipping, bonuses, etc. You would likely also have to pay the placement fee back to your premium agency, and they may bar you from their service for some time. Lastly, breaking contract may adversely and negatively effect your reference as well as your license for contract abandonment.