Shanghai Living: Tips for packing, must do/see, beware

Basmad6

Shanghai Living: Tips for packing, must do/see, beware

Post by Basmad6 »

I'm heading to Shanghai this summer for the start of a contract and would love tips, must do/see, helpful books/blogs and helpful cautionary tips. I did quite a bit of research prior to applying for schools in China, but would love some advise from people "on the ground". I'm not interested in Shanghai/China bashing; save it for your own thread.
If you're currently living in Shanghai or recently lived there (last 3-5yrs) please share.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

My suggestion list:

1) Medical: You dont know when your health insurance is going to kick in, when youll have a chance to see a doctor, and a lot of other factors. Generally medication is MUCH cheaper out of the states. Have your prescriptions written in their chemical/empirical formulation (Tylenol is not Acetaminophen its Paracetamol). Have your doctor write a letter listing all your medications, dosages, and what you take them for. Have your doctor stamp it with their department of health stamp. Have your optometrist do the same for your glasses/contact lens. If you use contacts research in advance whats available. Some of the newer lenses arent available yet in many places. Having that little white prescription slip, just isnt the same. Some places require a medical examination and blood work for a visa/work permit. Talk with your school about this in advance, some schools will want you to have it done in advance some schools will take you to a clinic when you arrive. Understand that many Asian countries will not admit you if you have HIV or TB (thats the reason for the blood work and chest x-ray). You might want to have a physical before you leave and a letter about any chronic or current medical conditions you have. Im on the fence about vaccinations. Im vaccinated against everything practically, but unless your teaching out in a very rural or undeveloped area (such as a jungle) about the only thing id really recommend is hep a and hep b. If your traveling to Africa you HAVE to have a yellow fever vaccination, even if the area isnt endemic now, you dont know how it will change.

2) Documentation: Bring AND have uploaded a copy of your contract, work permit, airline itinerary, passport, drivers license (including international driving permit/IDP). You should also have copies of your kids birth certificates and your marriage certificate (as well as their passports and other documents).
If your planing on driving in your new country you might need an IDP. They are only good for a year, but Ive heard people get and pay for 2 of them and just have them dated for subsequent years. That said if your REALLY going to drive you need to get a local license at some point, try to AVOID giving them your USA drivers license as in some countries they find their way on the black market. Your passport is the most important document, and you should register with the nearest embassy/consulate in your area when you arrive. Avoid walking around with your passport, yes you can be asked for it anytime, but the only time you really HAVE to have it is when your going to the bank, checking into a hotel, going to the consulate and registering at the police/immigration office. The rest of the time carry a photo copy of the ID page and your visa page. If you ever get stopped and asked why you dont have the original tell them your very sorry, and you didnt know, but loosing your passport is a time consuming and expensive process, you have to replace the passport AND the visa. Once you get a PR/or alien registration card, carry that with you. Lastly have copies of important banking, including credit card numbers and checking account and routing (ISBN and SWIFT) numbers if you have bills back home to pay or plan on doing a wire transfer.

3) Personal care: So basically unless your really brand loyal to a certain product (shampoo, shaving cream, makeup, razor blade) you can most likely find a local available brand. If your happy with any shampoo for instance you will be fine. When you start getting picky thats when you have problems. Most stores will have one (maybe 2) international brands and unless you understand the language you will recognize them from their packaging. These tend to be the most expensive as well. Some things are just not available (if you use a new razor, you might not be able to find the blade refills), in which case you have to consider the cost of ordering them online or having someone back home send them to you, or switching. Its very impractical except for small things that have a long reuse time to bring enough of something for a whole year (things like soap, shampoo, mouthwash, etc). Ive had several ethnic coworkers who were very unhappy they couldnt get certain hair care products.
Personally, the two things i have trouble with finding are antiperspirant and contact lenses. I use to have a problem finding rubbing alchohol, but then i just bought a bottle of 180 proof grain alchohol and problem solved.
Woman have it harder, guys need like a dozen things tops woman seem to amass a never ending number of bath/beauty stuff (i had a teacher this year who couldnt find a ped egg, (i dont know what that is), but took her months to stop complaining about it). If you HAVE to have proactive or some other very specific bathroom thing, you need to find out if its available and then decide if its important enough to you to order and ship overseas. Lastly, if you ever need to find something the airport may have a shop that carries your specific item, and also try asking or checking at one of the international hotels in your area. Sometimes the concierge can direct you to a supplier, or you may find that a shop in the surrounding area has it. You may also be surprised what you can buy from a hotel directly. I had the hardest time finding frosted flakes and was at a hotel brunch once that had frosted flakes, and then talked to the restaurant manager who was happy to sell me boxes of it (though it was expensive).

On a side note hotels are AMAZING resources. Need to send an international fax, no problem. Need something translated, they can do that. Want to go for a swim, ask about a daily facility pass. Want a bottle of Moscatto, the wine steward can take care of you. Need a haircut with someone who understand English, they probably have a salon, and if they dont have it, they can tell you where to find it. Want to find a certain place, walk up to a hotels front desk and say your sorry but your trying to get to such and such place and they will write the name of the place down on the back of a business card in the local language then write the name of the place in English on the front and show the card to a cab driver.

4) Clothes: It should be no surprise, that you should find out the weather on your region and plan according, (you will not need a lot of sweaters in Singapore, but you will need a light jacket, sweater or wrap. Outside Singapore is hot and humid but INSIDE the air-con is set at 65-70). Some places have wet seasons where everyday you need an umbrella, dont bring one but buy one there. Check or ask about your schools dress code, some schools are fine with casual dress (khakis and shirt), some expect business attire (shirt/tie/jacket). As far as wardrobe stick with one or at max two themes. Blacks and neutrals work well for me., these type of overall themes are easy to adapt with accessories (Its easier to bring one black suit, and 5 ties, then 5 black suits and one tie). Woman have the hardest time with this because they have "outfits" that are composed of individual pieces that dont work with anything else in their wardrobe. Thats a lot of space for one days cloths. I think everyone should have one stunning piece and thats it. Understand that you may or may not have a washer and dryer. You will likely have access to a washer, but in a number of countries they dont use have dryer, you line dry your cloths. As such you should bring clothes that are machine washable, and anti wrinkle or no iron. Plan your wardrobe for longevity. There is little use in bringing 20 pairs of socks, socks are cheap and easy to find. Same thing with button down shirts and other "basics".

The only two things that are must haves are large sized shoes (above a 10) and large cupped bras (above a B) are next to impossible to find in a lot of Asian countries. if your loyal (or your kids) are to "American" brand anything like A&F, Aeropostale, Hollister, etc, those brands are not likely to be available locally, or at very high (almost couture) prices.

5) Electronics: Bring your laptop, tablet, etc. Make sure you brink the adapter and a plug convertor. Be wary of other computer devices, most of them will need transformers and things like hard drives could easily short or overload. Things like hard drives, scanners, printers, are affordable and readily available. Of course if you need the hard drive because of the data, then you need it.
Smart phones are a maybe, if you have a GSM phone and can get it unlocked then bring it. If your on Verizon, or Sprint or other CDMA carrier, know that most of the rest of the world uses GSM, and your phone isnt likely to work. Maybe if you have a high end SLR camera, and wont settle for a phone camera bring that (but thats a lot of bulk). Aside from that the only other thing id recommend are an electric razor (if its dual power). Hairdryers and other small electronics are generally inexpensively cheap to purchase in Asia.
DVD's are a maybe, on one hand you can watch them on your laptop, and there isnt likely to be a lot of English language or American programing. Everywhere Ive gone there has been only a couple channels. That said region 1 DVD (USA) probably wonk work in a foreign DVD player, and an American DVD player (NTSC) is not going to support a foreign video standards. In many Asian countries DVDs can be DIRT cheap, like $.25-$.50 each (yeah they are counterfeit), but thats the way it is.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bludgeoned again

Re: Shanghai Living: Tips for packing, must do/see, beware

Post by bludgeoned again »

Wow! Very good. It's like you've live here for years except........remember wattage differences in electrics. So, buy your hair dryer in Shanghai. Also, if you buy a very basic DVD player, it'll play anything from anywhere: the cheaper the better. I prefer Carrefour for most appliances but there are lots of options. You probably won't have an oven in your flat, if you do then that's great if not, get a good sized and decently powered counter top one. People don't wear shoes inside their home, so bring the size of slippers you need (summer and winter types) because, as stated, shoe sizes are a challenge. However, there are places in the center that have stuff made here for the export market but didn't make it out of the country ;) Take a walk on Fuxing Lu near Xiang Yang Lu. The best things I like in Shanghai are street food, a repair man on every corner to fix your shoes, umbrella, bike, pram, etc., and wet markets. Also, dive in and check out every supermarket you see because all the chains have their specialties. I'm so excited for you. welcome!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@bludgeoned again

I didnt forget watts, thats why I addressed transformers in the beginning of the electronics section. I also stated Hairdryers and other small electronics are cheap. I should have clarified "cheap to buy in Asia"

I also agree with Carrefour being a good source.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

@bludgeoned
I'm planning on a solid weekend if getting 'lost" in my neighborhood so I can guarantee I'll be wondering in and out if markets scoping out stores, vendors, etc. any tips on good street maps to carry along as in getting oriented. Found something on Amazon highly rated, but curious if you used something to help along.

I've been told not to bother with electronics other than computer and an unlocked phone. I'm due for an upgrade here, but have not bothered as I'll get a locked phone and the it's useless until I venture home. Any suggestions on buying stateside vs waiting until I'm there to get a phone? I've read prepaid SIM cards are the norm? True?

@psyguy
Thanks for the meds and prescriptions tip. Finished all of my visa paperwork so medical clearance and things were not as detailed as I'd previously read. I just needed a letter stating I was "fit and healthy to work". I'd already had a physical w my dr here and she just filled a bunch of essential prescriptions for getting me through the first bouts of anything until I get into a dr. Insurance does start day 1, but not likely I'll have time for anything until a month passes.
Tip on specifics med names, not common names, is key and I'll work on that as well. I've read I'll be just fine with medical needs, but will need to get over myself when it comes to getting only familiar meds. Did make me think I need to carry a list of NO meds as I have two major allergies and there are similar drugs used elsewhere that can mean trouble for me.
All vaccines are up to date, no TB (couldnt work in my school with it) or other major issues. I've read that some teachers have been shipped off for physicals in China shortly after arrival to repeat the clearance check so perhaps that's why the letter was all they needed as I'll be poked and prodded again?!
Tip on hotels is great! I'll enjoy figuring out who/what/where are the best spots to get some extra help. I'm in pretty solid cohort for school (already in contact) so hopefully that community will ease some of the craziness and feeling of being totally lost.
Clothes/shoes being a short, petite female has its advantages in Asia, but still planning to pack clothes and shoes to get me going and sustain through winter. Figure by then I'll have navigated the tailor/shoemaker world and can see what goods I can get custom. Their winters (minus pollution) are the same as my home winter temps so I'm hoping what I bring along will be fine.
"Essential"personal items: there's a bag in my closet with those hard to find or expensive items right now.

I will have a western kitchen to start, stocked with basic kitchen tools/items, but since I like to cook as well I've been told to pack spices and some good knives but worry about other thibgs there.

QUESTION: what about packing teacher resources and supplies. The school is well supplied but Ill be teaching in the early years & there are always random things we need/use for lessons. Worth the overage charges? Would be easier to plan if I were back in language arts for older kids, but I'm flip flopping back to my roots with munchkins.
Thanks to both. I'm looking forward to madness and compete overstimulation of China and then my breaks to follow.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Forget map apps, just go with Google maps. You can download the map files for a city to use offline so you dont need a data plan, and the blue dot will still guide you to where you need to go (well it will get you close).
Phones arent subsidized in China, youll pay full price for anything. A lot of people either buy iPhones (its an accessory) or buy android phones. You can a significant amount for international brands, or local makers like a Huawei brand phone. There are a lot of cheap knockoffs, and many of them dont have good English language support. If you want to go cheap there are still a lot of "dumb phone" flip phones and candy bar phones available.My recommendation is that whatever smart phone you have now (before the upgrade) have your carrier unlock it (they are required too) and just use that.
China has both contract plans and prepaid plans, contract plans are hard to get for foreigners, and the reality is its still the same type of plan. The contract plans available to foreigners are really just prepaid plans with an auto charge to a credit card. Thats the big problem for the real contract plans, you have to a Chinese bank credit card, and a bunch of other documentation and authorizations, and short of being a multinational corporation its not going to happen.
The pre-paid plan is simple, you go to a kiosk, and buy a starter pack that has a SIM card, this gets you a phone number and some starter airtime. Then you buy scratch off cards in various increments (100 RMB is the most common) and funds to your account. Thee are various plans and you need to get the right SIM. There are no "unlimited" anything plans.
Plan 1: you pay for every minute of call time and text both receiving and sending, but you have roaming meaning the phone works outside the city/region, and each call/text is cheaper.
Plan 2 You only pay for outgoing calls and sending text, receiving is free, but it only works in your city region, and there are other restrictions.
Plan 3: You pay for outgoing calls and texts, but incoming texts are free, and the first minute of incoming calls. This plan also only works in the city/region, but it has fewer restrictions.
All of these plans have data "access" which you can activate and it then charges you either per MB or you can buy a bucket of data usually around .5GB blocks. The per MB cost varies and .5GB buckets are about 100RMB.
My recommendation is plan 2, and avoid plan 1. The roaming opportunity isnt much use within the city and you can always get a second SIM and plan with roaming for the times you do leave the city/region.
All of the 3 mobile phone providers are state owned, China Mobile is the largest and has several branded market programs that appeal to youth/hipsters, and premium business individuals.You will not be at a loss for reception, their is strong signal just about everywhere. What you wont find is speed. China just started selling iPhones and the 4G availability is still limited and by premium access.

Yes you will get an exam again, while its exhausting and you go through a lot of people who each seem to perform one task or maybe a couple like an assembly line. What they are really looking for is TB and STDs, mainly HIV.

I wouldnt bring too good a knife, you can get really cheap knives that you can just discard and replace when they get dull. I travel with a knife but its a mizu-honyaki knife. Shanghai is fine for locating common spices: basil, oregano, pepper, rosemary, etc and similar wont be hard at all to find.

Unless you have some very specific texts, anything your school doesnt supply is going to be super cheap to locate locally. Its really not worth the weight in bringing it with you. Shanghai has a Walmart, Trustmart, RenRenLu and really anything your going to need youll find, and if you cant you can order it online through Alibaba. Really everything is made in China, so its there.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

If you are a photographer don't count on cheap gear here, however getting your prints blown up is inexpensive. The camera market is fabulous!

Play Gopher on the metro, get on a random metro and get off at a new stop, pop up to street level and explore. Go to Peoples Square on a Sunday afternoon and be amazed at how many people can fit in a metro car.

Go to the marriage market in Peoples Square and perhaps advertise your availability :)

Ride the 12 cent ferry across the Huang Pu river.

Explore a watertown.

Go to the Insect, Animal and Plant market and check out the cricket fights.

To to Antique Alley just across the street from the IAP market mentioned above and buy some genuine Chinese recently made antiques.

I don't, but apparently my younger colleagues spend a lot of time in the clubs

Take the high speed train to Nanjing and explore the Massacre museum, its free and very well done. Alternatively go to Hongzhou and walk West Lake or Suzhou and explore the gardens

Big name music acts come all the time, as well as Broadway musicals and well known sporting events

Make sure to take in the old city before it disappears. This is my favorite part of Shanghai and I never tire of wandering through it.

Going out for dinner is almost a sport here, the options are unbelievable from street food to 5 star restaurants.

Be prepared for the grungy days when the air pollution is overwhelming. These days will pass.

Sit and watch life pass you by, it can be fascinating.

Be prepared for whacky driving, and keep an eye out for your own safety.

Explore the marvelous parks, Fuxing, Zhongshan, Central, Century and many others

There isn't much you can't get here. Carrefour is well stocked and if you want something bad enough you can generally find it.

Late edit: I didn't mean to oversell Carrefour, its just a typical multi-national department store/grocery store which operates in a manner that makes it comfortable to shop in (except on Saturday afternoons when it is packed). The point I really meant to make is that Shanghai is not lacking for places to buy consumer goods, from western groceries (see City Shop or City Shopper - two distinct stores with weirdly similar names), to high end goods like Prada and Apple (at least 4 Apple stores which are not fake :) ), to the previously mentioned wet markets and small mom and pop stores which thrive in this city. As I mentioned before, if you want it and are prepared to pay for it then you can find it.
Last edited by Overhere on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

@overhere I will DEF play gopher! Awesome visual as well so thanks for the laugh. Hopefully it won't turn into a game of "wack a mole" though.
Any time I've visited a new city I prefer to cautiously get lost. It's been helpful getting oriented faster than normal.

@psyguy
Phone tips are great. Was thinking about saving this phone for China especially if it gets stolen I won't give a crap. I will have to pay for the new phone in full to unlock it, but I've got time to work on this.

Packing....well if theres a Walmart and ikea then anything random that I find I need for this age is attainable! Good to know.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Just to clarify a bit of confusion regarding electronics/wattage/voltage/converters/adapaters:

A converter is necessary only if the voltage requirement of what you are plugging in is different from your country's electrical voltage. The vast majority of modern electronics such as digital cameras, tablets, cell phones, computers, printers, and battery chargers are dual voltage, so a converter is no longer necessary. Check each of your gadgets to ensure that they are dual voltage. This information will sometimes be in raised letters or printed on a tag on the a.c. adapter or affixed to the device itself; it will say something like "Input: 100-240v."

Appliances like hair dryers, electric shavers, immersion heaters, or coffee makers may be single-voltage only for your country of residence, in which case you may need a converter of sufficient wattage. You also need to be aware of the cycles-per-second (50 or 60 Hz) of your appliance in order not to burn it out or blow a fuse. For the price of a converter you could probably buy what you want once you get to your new country and not deal with the whole voltage/wattage/hertzes issue at all. That, or buy travel-ready appliances that can handle any voltage.

An adapter simply allows the plug of your device to fit in the electrical outlet.

As for knives: I love to cook and bought two new ones to take with me on my first summer leave as I could not find the quality I wanted when I went abroad the first time. I imagine in Shanghai, however, you will be able to find good carbon-steel knives and people to sharpen them regularly.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@heyteach

Im sorry you were confused. Though your correction isnt true, my printer certainly isnt dual voltage, neither is my scanner, nor my external hard drive or my desktop. Only multinational electronics tend to be dual voltage. Phones tablets, lap tops, things business people travel with. Alarm clocks generally arent dual voltage (and they wont run well on a transformer).
What you need is a transformer for anything that isnt dual voltage

Of the personal items my electric razors tend to be the only items that are worth transporting. They are small, expensive and are typically dual voltage Items like curling irons and hairdryers are inexpensively purchased in the host location.

You can usually buy cheap adopter plugs if you need to in your host location, though one for your laptop or other electronics may have a preferred adapter that connects to the power supply better.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Unfortunately, Google Maps isn't working anymore without a VPN. This is a fairly recent happening. Again, it's nice that the app is usable offline, but you have to have a VPN on your phone to download the map. Google Translate doesn't work either without a VPN.

I didn't see it mentioned, though I may have missed it, but you'll want to get a VPN. some are free and some charge, but you may very well need one to do things like log into a international bank's website or foreign government's website. From time to time the government stops them from working, but that is usually temporary.

Besides Huawei phones, the Xiao Mi are not bad given the features they have at the cost.

Apps

I suggest Metro Man ????? as the best free metro app for China. They have all the metros in China with names listed in English and Chinese.

Pleco is a very good free English / Chinese dictionary. Don't bother with paying for upgrades.KTdict C-E is also good.

You will want to get WeChat on your phone too to connect with folks in China. All Chinese use it as do most foreigners I know.

Misc

You may want to get a filter(s) for your apartment if you are concerned about indoor air pollution and reducing particulate count. Some foreign graduate students have started selling DIY filters with Hepa filters that seem to be effective at a fraction of the price of expensive ones.

When you get to Shanghai get a transit card that you can use for the subway, taxis, and the bus.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Great tips eion_padraig thank you!

I am aware the need for a VPN, need to figure out how and where I find a good one. Know that I will need to pay for one that is reliable. Any tips/suggestions here?

Filters are non negotiable and there's a budget in place to get those once I arrive. I am hoping to buy them off of one of the teachers heading out.

Apps! Thank you! I will look for these.

Transit card...my school provides these for teachers! I am looking forward to not driving a car anymore. I am lucky to be able to ride my bike to work now for most of the school year and one of my requirements was also a public transit friendly city.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Astrill seems to be the most popular VPN, but the government has been making it increasingly difficult to use VPNs, particularly on Apple products. It works 90% of the time on laptops, significantly less than 90% on Apple tablets and all phones (it's next to useless on my Android phone). I don't think any other VPN service would be any different. We hope the government will stop their current attack soon. I still use Gmail / Google products, FaceBook and Dropbox, but you have to face the reality that there maybe times you can't access them (in my case, that includes right now). It is a minor annoyance.

If you want cheap air filters I suggest you look at these guys http://www.smartairfilters.com . We have five of their fans in our apartment. We change the filters about every five weeks (they are on 24/7). You can pay by Paypal if you can't set it up with your Chinese account. They don't seem to have much profit motive, although they do seem to be getting more professional. They seem like decent guys.

If you want filtered water, then buy a water cooler machine and get the 18 litre bottles delivered. Nestle and Nongfu both deliver. Be aware that when you buy a water cooler machine it will say on the front '?‘ (leng - cold) and '?’ (re - hot). However, Chinese have an aversion to cold water, so leng actually means 'not hot', meaning room temperature. If you want a machine that gives you chilled water you want one with '??' ?bingshui - iced water). Oddly, this was the cheapest one in the shop when I bought mine. Most do not have bingshui.

Most of the teachers at my school either ride a bike to work, get the metro, or ride battery powered scooter/motorbikes.

Hope that helps.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I would simply download the Google map for Shanghai before you leave. Something to do in the airport at departure.

I have to agree that you really do need a VPN to be connected. Astrill is the most popular, but its also the first to be targeted. Vyper is probably the second most popular. My personal preference is Golden Frog.
There are some ways to access unfiltered or less filtered access. You can duck into an international hotel get a drink and ask for the WiFi password, that will typically get you a less restricted connection.

I like the MetroMan App, it just seems slow and clunky to me, but it does what it needs too and aside from Google it does what it needs too.

I personally believe all translation dictionaries are horrible, compared to Google translate.

WeChat is awesome its like Kik or Line (JP) and everyone uses it, more so than text messaging, and its cheaper.

I wouldnt buy a used air filter. Air filters have definite short term lives, even with regular filter replacement, the machines get buildup inside that is difficult or not impossible to truly clean. Mold is a problem it will grow inside a machine.
You could just buy a fan, filters and a bungee cord and make your own filters.

It is very likely your apartment will have a water cooler. Your school or apartment office (they are huge) can help you set up the order. Its pretty cheap to have delivery.
Refrigerators in China are small, and they dont really get very cold. They are more like chill boxes and they dont usually do ice. Chinese people prefer their food fresh, and so they shop often. The only thing I really kept in mine was ber, orange juice, and Coke. It is cheaper and easier to eat out or on the go. You are not likely to have an oven, so a toaster oven is a lifesaver, you will have 1-2 gas stove burners and probably a microwave (600w-700w). You can do a lot with a wok.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Google translator doesn't work, or at least, doesn't work well. I was not aware you could download Google maps. I have never seen that option, I'll certainly look into it. Anyway, anything Google on a phone is going to suck, pretty much. Dipping into hotels really isn't much of an option. Baidu maps is good, but requires a level of Chinese reading beyond most new teachers. For translation, the Pleco app is best, but it is more of a dictionary than a translator.

'Explore Shanghai' has a good Metro Map in English. There is also an app called ???? (Shanghai Metro) which is the same but in Chinese.

WeChat works great and you will likely be using it a lot.

Update:

I just managed to download Google's Shanghai map. While it's true VPNs don't usually work when they are on the network, they generally do when connected to Wi-Fi, so you can still download apps.