How would you count teaching summer school on your resume?

klooste

How would you count teaching summer school on your resume?

Post by klooste »

Hi helpers!

I am a first year teacher. One year of teaching experience usually means teaching from September-whenever your school year ends, correct?

I was wondering how would you count summer school experience on your resume? Not all teachers teach summer school, so could I technically add it as more "teaching experience" to my qualifications?

What I was thinking is this: summer school (at least at my school) is one semester, so couldn't I say that I have 1.5 years teaching experience after I teach summer school and get through the first school year? Am I making this too complicated? haha

One last thing: the summer program will usually ask teachers to teach something outside of their area of expertise. So for example, if I am an English teacher, there is a chance I may be teaching social studies. Does breadth rather then depth help on a resume? To clarify the former question, is it better to get two solid years teaching English, or to teach one year of English, a semester of social studies, a little history, some health 9, and maybe a dose or two of math?

My school is a two years and get out school, but the advantages of working at a terrible school is that once you stay more than one year, the principal will usually give you any class you want to teach. So yes, that means an English teacher could request a precalculus 12 course. I know its crazy, but I'm wondering if this situation can open up any doors for me (I would not, obviously, choose courses that are too far out of my expertise, because I still want to give the kids at my school a decent education)!

Thanks for the help all!
Helen Back

Re: How would you count teaching summer school on your resum

Post by Helen Back »

In terms of time teaching, I really don't think a school is going to care whether you did summer school or not. Obviously, put it on your resume, but at the end of the day nobody is counting less than full years. It won't hurt you, but it probably won't help either.

That said, If you do plan on doing two full years of English, then I would go with trying another subject in the summer.
Basmad6

Re: How would you count teaching summer school on your resum

Post by Basmad6 »

I had a recruiting agent tell me to break up my work experiences like you're discussing on my CV. I'd separate the summer program from school year especially if it includes a different subject area and age/grade level. I taught writing workshop classes at the university level, but since each semester was a different class/format the recruiter had me list them separately with detailed descriptions.
Just some thoughts!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You have some very fuzzy math. The average 200 day contract is a 10 month contract, adding another month or 6 weeks to it while your school calls it a semester or term does not equal extra years or any part of a year. Years matter for scale, half years matter for for recruiting and your resume, but summer is considered part of whatever year you are claiming experience.
I would not include it separately on your resume assuming its with the same school/organization you work with, in which case if you taught a very different subject or a special summer program (like a literary or STEM camp, or coaching athletics camp or program) then its worth a bullet point. If the summer program was a separate entity then its worth a separate entry on your resume/C.V.

It depends what your teaching, if your an English teacher and thats how your characterize your career then its better to concentrate your teaching subjects into what you do. If your a dual (or more) certified teacher you want to as close to as evenly as possible divide your experience amongst those subjects. You want to present the appearance of being a practitioner of your subjects and not just meeting the technical definition of teaching them or as an academic in those other subjects.

It would be a great way of breaking into other teaching fields when your lite on experience that would prohibit you or greatly handicap you from obtaining experience elsewhere, this assumes you are or obtain credentials in the additional subjects.
klooste

Re: Response

Post by klooste »

PsyGuy wrote:
> You have some very fuzzy math. The average 200 day contract is a 10 month
> contract, adding another month or 6 weeks to it while your school calls it
> a semester or term does not equal extra years or any part of a year. Years
> matter for scale, half years matter for for recruiting and your resume, but
> summer is considered part of whatever year you are claiming experience.
> I would not include it separately on your resume assuming its with the same
> school/organization you work with, in which case if you taught a very
> different subject or a special summer program (like a literary or STEM
> camp, or coaching athletics camp or program) then its worth a bullet point.
> If the summer program was a separate entity then its worth a separate entry
> on your resume/C.V.
>
> It depends what your teaching, if your an English teacher and thats how
> your characterize your career then its better to concentrate your teaching
> subjects into what you do. If your a dual (or more) certified teacher you
> want to as close to as evenly as possible divide your experience amongst
> those subjects. You want to present the appearance of being a practitioner
> of your subjects and not just meeting the technical definition of teaching
> them or as an academic in those other subjects.
>
> It would be a great way of breaking into other teaching fields when your
> lite on experience that would prohibit you or greatly handicap you from
> obtaining experience elsewhere, this assumes you are or obtain credentials
> in the additional subjects.

Ok. I don't think I'll put it into a separate category, but teaching summer school is worth at least a bullet I feel.

I'd still have more "classroom teaching hours" than someone who started teaching the same date that I did, but I'm not sure if recruiting agents care if you're willing to give away half a holiday to help kids be successful.

I've taught STEM camps before, albeit it was not classified as certified teaching experience. Ever heard of DiscoverE? Actua?

The courses that I would be teaching would most likely be credit recovery English, or social studies.

Ultimately, I am looking for ways to get as much certified teaching experience as I can. How else can I make myself more marketable? I heard IB examiner is a good bet, but I don't have IB teaching experience.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@klooste

Summer school is worth a bullet point. Yes you will have more hours, but its just going to look petty making a case for a couple more weeks of teaching as someone who doesnt teach summer school, and thats going to smell like desperation.

Ive heard of it, Id put it down under "Professional Activities" (not Professional Experience).

Id try to find something a little more marketable. Credit recovery English doesnt mean anything in IE. Social studies as a general education classroom course would be better. AP would be the best.

You do not need IB experience to be an examiner, all you need is a degree in the subject and one year experience teaching the subject at the appropriate age/grade level. This experience does not need to be at an IB school.