M.Ed or MBA?

blinky

M.Ed or MBA?

Post by blinky »

Greetings,

I wanted to get some opinions on getting more marketable. Currently, I am only certified to teach English. I have enough credits in theatre arts and psychology to teach those subjects as well. I know these subjects aren't the most marketable at this point. One day, I would like to get into Admin. But I would also like to teach Economics as well. At this point, I would just like a job that would help me pay for further development. So for you experienced teachers, if you were me, do you think going for an MBA would be a better strategy than doing an M.Ed? The MBA would enable me to teach more courses, whereas the M.Ed would not. But would the M.Ed make me a better candidate for the administration positions in the future? I have heard conflicting things on this. I appreciate any input on this.

Thank you.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You dont need an MBA to teach economics, you need to take an intro to macro/micro economics, or read a really good book on it, then take a social studies (after studying up on some history) or economics certification test. There are two things that make an ITs CV, 1) What you can teach (degrees, certifications, etc) and 2) What you have taught (experience) of the two experience is king.

The MBA will provide you the background to teach more courses but within the social studies sphere thats going to be economics and business studies, and an MBA is overkill. You would still need and want a social studies or business certification and an intro to business course would take care of both.

In regards to administration. An M.Ed will get you into administration, administrators are educators with management training. An MBA will not provide you and of the education background. It also wont get you an administrator license in many jurisdictions.

Ideally there are joint MBA/M.Ed programs available that would serve both of your wants, but the MBA unless you want to consider a business corporate an MBA is not the ideal route to go.
blinky

Re: M.Ed or MBA?

Post by blinky »

Ok, I'll look into the joint programs. Thanks

Re: M.Ed or MBA?

Post by 87654321 »

Hi, in the UK there are such courses including Education MBA which may be worth looking into.

http://www.keele.ac.uk/pgtcourses/educationmba/

I have completed my M.Ed and am working towards my MBA with the thought of admin in the future. Good luck whichever you choose.