Teaching couple - one cover letter or two?

speedracer

Teaching couple - one cover letter or two?

Post by speedracer »

Hello all,

I am not new to the international circuit; however, after 5 years in the states, I'm looking to get back. This time with my wife (we are a teaching couple).

I won't be applying until next year, but I wanted to get an early start at thinking about the best way to go about it.

My question is, if we decide to apply directly to schools, should we send one cover letter or two? My first inclination is to send one (since we are a package and we won't take the job if it is only one of us offered)

What do other teaching couples do?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Send separate cover letters, indicate in each cover letter that your spouse is also applying for X vacancy. Cover letters and application materials get routed to numerous people and they dont get read in their entirety (most of the times its software or email filtering) and you want both of your application packets to go to the individual who will be assessing them. Which means if your history and your wife is primary you want your materials to go to the individual (HOD, secondary principal, etc..) for history and your wives to go to the primary (Coordinator, principal, etc..) with only one cover letter one of you might not get considered at all, or the application misreported and lost.

The rule is always, always follow the instructions in the vacancy post (and format your documents for A4 paper).