First Job

LUWahoo

First Job

Post by LUWahoo »

How about some nostalgia for the veterans out there...

Where did you get your start in IT?

What did you enjoy most about your time there?
What was most frustrating?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Where: The ME

Best Part: Leaving

Worst Part: Living there, but specifically the admin recruiters that essentially lied about everything, figuring one you were there they had you.
LUWahoo

Re: First Job

Post by LUWahoo »

2 for the Middle East; Anyone in Asia?...Africa?...Europe?
twimih

Post by twimih »

I started IT in Europe.
I loved everything about it - the well- run school, the amazing country, so much to see, do, and places to explore - I was the happiest teacher in the world, and convinced I had the best job ever.
The only frustrating aspects were the ones you can find anywhere, like grading papers. Learning the language was frustrating at first, but after two or three years I could hold my own.
LUWahoo

Post by LUWahoo »

2 in the Middle East and 1 in Europe... surprised not to see South East Asia
klooste

Post by klooste »

Newbie here, almost have one year experience!

Started, and will probably end my career in China.

Frustrations? People trying to rip me off because I'm a "white male," and loaded

Pleasures? Language, food, living, price of transportation, savings potential etc
Rob

Post by Rob »

I began my IS experience teaching at the Vietnamese International School in Saigon in 1970. I remember the recruitment fairs in the 1970's. 80's as being very pleasant and the not the rat race and stress loaded experiences some of you express here. I had the good fortune of working/living in Singapore for 24 year up to 2013.

Rob
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

First job was in a small SE Asian school that took a chance on us and it was the best family experience we could of ever hoped for. The thing is, the school was never on our radar during our search and it was just by chance that I stopped by the table to sign up for an interview, we were very fortunate I did. We have had good jobs in more desired locations since then, but that experience stands out in all our minds as the best.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

First job was in Q8, back in a time when it was nicer to work at the school I was at. Good times and memories. Went back home, but had the bug and we were soon out again.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

My first job was in WE, but as an intern (basically a TA).

Best: Everything! At the time I was young, fresh out of college and debt-free. I didn't have tons of responsibilities or work as a TA, so I was free to enjoy everything I could about Europe. I made some great friends, traveled a lot (on the cheap, but I didn't mind staying in hostels back then), learned a fair amount of the language, and being exposed to that kind of school and those students put me on the path to where I am now, which is in a pretty good spot.

Worst: Honestly, at the time I didn't think anything was bad. I was too young and too new to IT to have the perspective I do now. Which is that the school was only a so-so kind of school (though filled with great people) with a poor package. The only tiny grievance I had at that time was that the school wouldn't hire me as an actual classroom teacher, even though I had the degree and the teaching license, because I didn't have 2 years of experience. But even that wasn't a big complaint because I knew that was the school's policy going in.
LUWahoo

Post by LUWahoo »

Great stories guys, keep em coming.. by my count, we've got 3 in SE Asia, 2 each for the Middle East and Europe, and 1 for China
scribe

Post by scribe »

First job - attending TORC fair (that's going WAY back) in Cleveland in July just to see what was up with teaching overseas, grabbed by school director from Escuela American in El Salvador, which was in midst of what was basically civil war; he convinced us to watch his presentation, which sold us on the place. 10 days later we were there (had to get rushed passports, leave our apartment, disperse all belongings - whew!) and had a great two years. We learned that the media only presented part of the picture, and it took the entire story to appreciate the truth. Only left because we had a child and simply couldn't afford to stay - housing wasn't part of the package back then. Now that we're at career's end, would consider going back - what a beautiful country.