Colegio Menor San Francisco de Quito-- anyone?

MizMorton

Colegio Menor San Francisco de Quito-- anyone?

Post by MizMorton »

I'm hesitant, but there are jobs. I'd be thrilled to go to Ecuador, but my main concerns are:
1. The money looks pretty dismal.
2. 90% host country students. Would my kids be alienated?

Anyone?
jessiejames

Re: Colegio Menor San Francisco de Quito-- anyone?

Post by jessiejames »

If I recall correctly, you will need to pay towards 80% of your children's tuition. Perhaps that has changed but it is something to investigate.
heyteach

Re: Colegio Menor San Francisco de Quito-- anyone?

Post by heyteach »

Menor is one of the better schools in Quito, or actually, a nice suburb of Quito. The only school that pays anything approaching an American salary in Quito is Academia Cotopaxi, but you also are working much harder. The cost of living in Quito is pretty cheap except for imported goods like electronics. Ask about transportation to the school for teachers as well as students. If you live in Quito instead of Cumbaya the commute will be longer.

I don't think I'd worry about sending my kids to school there. Ecuadorians are gracious and welcoming.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Your children will have no issues, they are likely to be fawned over, and be quite popular.

The money looks pretty dismal, because it is dismal. As long as you can live off the economy and have no financial obligations outside back home or otherwise with no expectations of saving anything you will get by, and enjoy a moderate lifestyle. I would also ask about the housing, and what it looks like.

Compensation packages are always an issue in S.A.