Short Term Teaching Contracts

vincentchase

Short Term Teaching Contracts

Post by vincentchase »

Does anyone know if Search or other agencies have a pool of applicants they draw upon for ongoing short term placements in international schools?

I'm making a move into semi-retirement, but am interested in picking up ongoing 3-6 month contracts. That is, filling openings such as maternity leave, sudden staff departures etc. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone currently doing this, or any other information people have to share.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not in general, though you will find that short term contracts (maternity cover, etc.) are more common on the free or job banks such as TES, TIE, etc. (its cost prohibitive to do so with SA or ISS). There are International supply/relief teacher agencies though that deal specifically with this type of teaching, IST (International Supply Teachers) is an agency I can recommend.

Its a great career option if your single (few domestic responsibilitys), keep your bags packed and embrace a very Asian minimalistic lifestyle. You get to see a lot of the world very quickly. Compensation fluctuates many schools pay lower for ISTs some about the same, though you pick up housing in places that generally dont offer a housing package. You also dont usually get social/health insurance, so you have to maintain your own (as many times your entering and working on a business visa, and all the problems like bank accounts that come with it). The business arrangement is more like that of a consultant who provides educational services in a classroom. A healthy financial fund helps, as sometimes you dont get paid until the end of the contract. Some other issues include a lack of references, PD, and the biggest issue, most of them are in places that arent on the bucket list of many people.

What more are you specifically looking for?
CorkMunich

Re: Short Term Teaching Contracts

Post by CorkMunich »

BIS Munich will offer short-term teaching contracts for maternity/paternity leave.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I would suggest a group called "International Supply Teachers". The website is http://teachersonthemove.com/

First you need to join, and they go through a review process checking up on your references and experiences, and of course interviewing you.

Rob
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

Another vote for the website above - I spoke with a man a couple of years ago who works through them, and he does exactly like you want.. 6 month contracts all over the world.
Sherhazade

Post by Sherhazade »

I noticed the site indicates they've placed teachers in 15 countries. Any ideas which countries they work to place teachers in? Or how the pay and benefits are?

I know someone else mentioned you are likely to get housing, even in places it would not be offered otherwise, is it reasonable that they would be paying for all flights and visas as well since it is such a short term posting?

And finally, would they be more likely looking for someone who is a retiree vs. someone who was hoping to use this as an opportunity to gain international experience prior to finding a full time position?

Thanks for any feedback :)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

IST has contracts as short as a month, again I recommend them.

Most of them are in places most teachers dont want to be, the ME, less desirable and rural parts of Asia. The few EUR positions require an EU passport. When your an IST and your working for IST you dont really work for them, they are a broker they connect teachers and schools much like SA or ISS, though your contact agent works more for you. Really though its up to you to make the best deal you can with the school, and once you make the deal ISTs job is technically done, though they remain a contact point for problems and issues with the school.

The typical deal is round trip air travel and housing in a long stay type business hotel. You generally dont get pickup at the airport. They typically dont pay for the visa, because on short assignments you enter on a business visa (which isnt the same as a work visa), for appointments of 6 months or longer they arrange a work permit and visa but you still have to arrive on a business (or worse tourist) visa.

I dont know about retirees, most of the people who do IST arent looking to get "in" as an IT. Most of them come from IT, and decided they werent seeing enough of the world, and didnt see themselves getting into the elite tier schools. You typically dont get a reference working in IST, and many schools dont count it (at least for compensation scale) as its substitute/relief teaching.
Sherhazade

Post by Sherhazade »

Thank you psyguy, that is very helpful!