moscow russia?

sstourle

moscow russia?

Post by sstourle »

I have been offered a contract in Moscow. The pay is fine, the school seems nice and the conditions good.

But its Russia. Has anyone lived there? What it like. Bleak and miserable or as fun as any other country. It seems interesting to me but a very unknown place. Just curious.

Love any feedback about the city and the lifestyle one might have there.

Thanks.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Moscow is an amazing city, its a pretty fun time. Great nite life, amazing woman, well generally. The big problem now is that the sanctions have really put a squeeze on Russia, but otherwise its great. I dont know anyone that would call Moscow Russia.
speedracer

Re: moscow russia?

Post by speedracer »

Wanted to resurrect this post to get thoughts.

I think that I might get depressed with perpetual darkness in the winter months.

However, I expect that that cost of living is down (especially if you are paid in dollars) since the ruble devaluation?

Any thoughts about living in Moscow.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

I would do Russia, but I would prefer St. Petersburg. But both are doable.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

ISR MODERATOR NOTE: This off topic post has been removed along with all subsequent off topic posts.
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

Reisgio- Why would you prefer Saint Petersburg over Moscow? Just curious since there is a branch of AAS in Saint Petersburg. Is the quality of life in Petersburg better?

Joe- Says on Search that you can save 20k USD a year at the schools in Moscow and S. Petersburg.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

I prefer Saint Petersburg over Moscow because it's a more walkable and more European city. Moscow is more spread out and you need a car. I actually think Saint Petersburg is a great European secret; too many Americans and British are brainwashed into not going into Russia. It's great for all the reasons mentioned so far in this thread - real women, real men, and a real cultural scene.
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Personally, I'm married so am looking at Moscow as a place to raise a family. I'm worried about what I hear about the winter and quality of life. Wanted some input from those that lived/live there. The school I'm looking at appears to be 'tier 1' (as subjective as those ratings are) but I want to make sure that this is a good move personally

thanks in advance
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

my wife and i were slated to teach in a great school there until the government cracked down on canadian visas.
we now live not too far away with similar climate/weather. i am assuming its the same school we were hired at - seems to be only 1 really good scool there. id say go for it! i wish that we would have been allowed in! re: the weather - if you're someone who seriously needs light or bright cheery days or is really affected by the weather, might not be the best place. oh ya, make sure your salary is paid in USD or another foreign currency.

best of luck!

v.
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

With the dollar strong against the ruble, it looks like a great time to work in Russia compared to years past. In fact, it appears that out of all the CEESA schools in central or eastern Europe, the schools in St. Pete and Moscow currently pay the most and you can save the most. It's just the weather that will be an issue for some.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Just say "Hello, I'm a friend of Donald".....
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with @resigio, Moscow is the business centered city, and St. Petersburg the cultural city. Moscow is to Tokyo and St. Petersburg is to Kyoto.

There are several decent ISs in Moscow, the ony real issue is to make sure your paid in a stable currency and not rubles.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

AAS St. Petersburg is a lovely small school in the better city. I am biased since I spent four years there. The city is very walkable and beautiful. It is true that winters can be tough. My first winter there was brutal with bitter cold and snow snow snow. At that time we were in the older smaller building with few modes of transportation other than walking. The new school can be reached by metro and/or bus and a short walk. St. Petersburg would be a wonderful place to have a family.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

The aforementioned St. Pete school is loathe to hire families because of cost/housing restrictions. Sort of like the golden goose posting if they weren't.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Logistical factors such as family are common issues in the EU and EE IE market.