Buying property at your current location

fine dude

Buying property at your current location

Post by fine dude »

How many of you have plans or already bought a condo or a house at your current base, which may not be your home? I know not all countries are favourable, but if you plan to stick around for a while, would it be worthwhile? Or do many of you believe in simply renting when you are teaching abroad and save all that cash?
klooste

Re: Buying property at your current location

Post by klooste »

I did the opposite: bought a house back in Canada, and I rent it out while I'm abroad. I hired a trusted friend to do the property management for me, but you can hire agents for as low as 5% comish I think.

I've also considered buying a property in China, but the prices are outrageously high at the moment. Do you have a local wife? I'm not sure where you're working, but in China its also very hard to purchase property as a foreigner. It may or may not be the same your destination.

I hope this wishy washy response helps you a little bit!
whoamI?

Re: Buying property at your current location

Post by whoamI? »

I own property in China. Its expensive, yes, but labour is cheap (IE doing renovations is easy on the wallet). I bought my property a couple years ago though.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I own property in Italy, I rent it out for short term vacations and use a property agent.

The problem in most asian countries is that the only way to buy property is to do it through a corporation or though a spouse, in which case the spouse really owns the property. "Own" doesnt mean the same thing as it often does in the west, in China ownership (the land) is only for 50 years.