It is difficult to stay positive.....

missy

It is difficult to stay positive.....

Post by missy »

During this arctic winter the time seems to be passing so slowly.
It is difficult to remember to stay positive and be patient during one's job search.
How are others faring right now in their quest to find an overseas teaching position ?
Has it been very quiet for you too ?
profe

Re: It is difficult to stay positive.....

Post by profe »

Out of my four international job searches, this has certainly been the longest and most challenging so far. I started looking in October and it started out quite well, obtaining 4 interviews out of just 8 mailed resumes by the end of November... but then none of those panned out and the cycle started again- responses, first interviews, silence.

By mid-February I had racked up 10 interviews out of 40 applications (not a bad ratio, in my opinion) but still no offers. I should perhaps mention that I have three dependents and am not math or science, but normally when I interview I get some offers. So during our mid-term break last week I started turning my attention to private schools in the States for the first time in 18 years, but I'm still hopeful of positions becoming available during March and April.

Hang in there!
missy

Post by missy »

Ah yes....I also received some feedback and 2 interviews but it ended with no job offer.
I am also hoping that March and April will be more promising.
Best wishes to you too.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@profe

3 dependents with a 1:4 ratio, in a low demand field, in the current IS market, isnt likely to get an offer.
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

Missy, amen sister. Exactly the same experience here. Nothing. My husband and I have set a cutoff date for ourselves since after April we wouldn't have enough time to sell our house, and are starting to talk about plans for next year (our childcare situation will change, something that teaching abroad would have solved). We'll try again in the fall.

PM me for moral support anytime. You're likely to be insulted here on the forum. Just last week I was called the Designated Ugly Fat Friend by someone who has never met me.
senator

Post by senator »

@Mizmorton

Setting a deadline is a good plan as is having a plan for next year as is not stressing out about it.

If you PM me and tell me what you are looking for, maybe I can ask friends overseas if anything is open. It can't hurt.

Good luck either way.
missy

Post by missy »

MizMorton wrote:
> Missy, amen sister. Exactly the same experience here. Nothing. My husband
> and I have set a cutoff date for ourselves since after April we wouldn't
> have enough time to sell our house, and are starting to talk about plans
> for next year (our childcare situation will change, something that teaching
> abroad would have solved). We'll try again in the fall.
>
> PM me for moral support anytime. You're likely to be insulted here on the
> forum. Just last week I was called the Designated Ugly Fat Friend by
> someone who has never met me.

Hey- I have PM'd you.
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

Maple Leaf Educational Systems will probably hire you. Here's a link to their website; we need staff at my campus in particular cause a few teachers took issues with the company

I also think a campus in Chongqing needs a principal because he walked out.

Check it out, if you can't find anything else, and need a stepping stone: www.mapleleafeducationalsystems.com

note: I am referring you to a tier three school if you are willing to work and take anything.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MizMorton

I dearly and sincerely apologize for offending you. It was not my intention to call you a DUFF. My intent and expressed poorly and I am sorry, was in relation to admins/recruiters at fairs and other recruiting activities who smile at you while saying "Thanks but not this time" after waiting in line for 20 minutes and not even getting 10 seconds of time, or the recruiter who suggest a second day, second string interview, or the ones who never get back to you about a resume or application packet, after you spend an hour completing it and your references complete the reference forms.

Again, I truly am sorry for any offense and insult.

It might be too late to sell your house, but I wouldnt consider doing so the firt year ata new school, you really dont know how a school is going to turn out, and youd like to have a place to come back too if it doesnt work out. This is part of having an exit or in some cases escape plan.

@whoamI

I believe it is www.mapleleafschools.com

Definatley a third tier school in China.
whoamI?

Re: Reply

Post by whoamI? »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @MizMorton
>
> I dearly and sincerely apologize for offending you. It was not my intention
> to call you a DUFF. My intent and expressed poorly and I am sorry, was in
> relation to admins/recruiters at fairs and other recruiting activities who
> smile at you while saying "Thanks but not this time" after
> waiting in line for 20 minutes and not even getting 10 seconds of time, or
> the recruiter who suggest a second day, second string interview, or the
> ones who never get back to you about a resume or application packet, after
> you spend an hour completing it and your references complete the reference
> forms.
>
> Again, I truly am sorry for any offense and insult.
>
> It might be too late to sell your house, but I wouldnt consider doing so
> the firt year ata new school, you really dont know how a school is going
> to turn out, and youd like to have a place to come back too if it doesnt
> work out. This is part of having an exit or in some cases escape plan.
>
> @whoamI
>
> I believe it is http://www.mapleleafschools.com
>
> Definatley a third tier school in China.

Thanks for the fix, and yes, this school is not good by any means, its two years, and get out. I have very little positive things to say about the place, but you can get a job, so you don't have to sit at your computer and twirl your thumbs.

Let me know if you want me to put you into contact with a recruiting agent. I'm sure he'd be happy to make 1000 dollars for getting another recruit.
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

PsyGuy wrote:
> I dearly and sincerely apologize for offending you. It was not my intention
> to call you a DUFF. My intent and expressed poorly and I am sorry, was in
> relation to admins/recruiters at fairs and other recruiting activities who
> smile at you while saying "Thanks but not this time" after
> waiting in line for 20 minutes and not even getting 10 seconds of time, or
> the recruiter who suggest a second day, second string interview, or the
> ones who never get back to you about a resume or application packet, after
> you spend an hour completing it and your references complete the reference
> forms.

I've read that a few times now, and I'm still not sure what you're saying. Look, the admins may be saying "thanks but not this time," and it sucks, but please try not to kick people when they are already down. I get it man, it's a no, I don't need painful and insulting a n a l o g i e s. (that word was initially removed when I posted it whole.)

> Again, I truly am sorry for any offense and insult.

Apology accepted, but I am definitely gun-shy now, and I still think you are a bully. Live and learn. I won't post as much.

> It might be too late to sell your house, but I wouldnt consider doing so
> the firt year ata new school, you really dont know how a school is going
> to turn out, and youd like to have a place to come back too if it doesnt
> work out. This is part of having an exit or in some cases escape plan.

This is actually something we've been wanting to do anyway due to our local circumstances (1 hr commute). We have a backup plan if we have to cut & run.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

If it's any consolation, I've been talking to quite a number of people recently - from both recruiter and candidate sides - who say they found their ideal position / person late in the day. It's great when you get a position earlier, but I think the flipside is then seeing other jobs you are tempted by. If you are successful this year but later on, you'll truly know you explored all avenues and perhaps 'this was meant to be'.

In other words - chin up. Que sera, sera, but never let your job status lead you to believe you are not a great teacher. There are many other factors that play into the decisions too.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@MizMorton

I am not apologizing for what i wrote, I am apologizing for not clarifying that I was not directing the comment at you personally.
All of the "your great, a super teacher, you will get hired, any school would be crazy not to hire you" thats all rainbows and sunshine, and as I wrote in my previous post the "everything will be all right" is not accurate and is untrue, the data shows that 20% of IT candidates are unsuccessful, that means 1:5 stays home possibly unemployed. A mountain of warm wishes and encouragement do not change that. This post and thread is not yours it belongs to the forum and the readership that is too come, and supplying an inaccurate picture of that is a disservice to our future readership. Im sorry your feelings have to be the casualty in that scenario, but thats what it must be.

It would be a great disservice for you to limit and reduce your contributions, they are valuable and worthy of discussion and publication. It would be a sincere loss to allow my failed and misplaced comment to effect both the quality and frequency of your voice on this forum.

@curiousme

Unfortunately, IE falls more to the side of Topocracy than meritocracy.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

What?
klooste

Post by klooste »

MizMorton wrote:
> PsyGuy wrote:
> > I dearly and sincerely apologize for offending you. It was not my intention
> > to call you a DUFF. My intent and expressed poorly and I am sorry, was in
> > relation to admins/recruiters at fairs and other recruiting activities who
> > smile at you while saying "Thanks but not this time" after
> > waiting in line for 20 minutes and not even getting 10 seconds of time, or
> > the recruiter who suggest a second day, second string interview, or the
> > ones who never get back to you about a resume or application packet, after
> > you spend an hour completing it and your references complete the reference
> > forms.
>
> I've read that a few times now, and I'm still not sure what you're saying. Look, the
> admins may be saying "thanks but not this time," and it sucks, but please
> try not to kick people when they are already down. I get it man, it's a no, I don't
> need painful and insulting a n a l o g i e s. (that word was initially removed when
> I posted it whole.)
>
> > Again, I truly am sorry for any offense and insult.
>
> Apology accepted, but I am definitely gun-shy now, and I still think you are a bully.
> Live and learn. I won't post as much.
>
> > It might be too late to sell your house, but I wouldnt consider doing so
> > the firt year ata new school, you really dont know how a school is going
> > to turn out, and youd like to have a place to come back too if it doesnt
> > work out. This is part of having an exit or in some cases escape plan.
>
> This is actually something we've been wanting to do anyway due to our local
> circumstances (1 hr commute). We have a backup plan if we have to cut & run.

I'm not sure if "guy" is a business teacher, some old grumpy man, or he's just blunt and hits you hard with a stick, but I think when you start to creep around these forums more and more, you'll actually find that what "guy" says is quite helpful.

He's a bit condescending, but he's telling you the truth: this international teaching gig is not all sunshine and rainbows. You can't get into a good school without experience, and most of what "guy" writes on these forums is quite useful, He's taught me a lot, and personally I'd love to shake his hand one day.

So yes: chin up, get up when your kicked down, accept whats happened at the recruitment fair. Look at it this way: you gained some experience interacting with recruiters, which essentially should help you grow as an interviewee, and as a professional teacher. The international teaching gig isn't all rainbows, but the clouds do part at times:

I know that several lower tier international schools, particularly in China (because that's the region I'm familiar with) would probably hire you. I would spend less time writing about your feelings, more time polishing your resume, and applying for other schools that a) may offer you lots of challenges, b) may give you a ridiculous teaching workload, c) may pay you a lot less then some schools at the recruitment fair. Experience is better then nil.

I hope this helps, and if you need some links to lower tier schools, please shoot me a pm. I'm here to help you try to land a job.