Teaching in Beirut

rmck04

Teaching in Beirut

Post by rmck04 »

Hi everyone. First time poster here and looking for a any advice about teaching/living in Beirut. I'd rather not say which International school we are considering but any and all input about the overall quality of education, living conditions, safety and any other pertinent info about living in Beirut would be great.

Thanks alot.
corbanma

Re: Teaching in Beirut

Post by corbanma »

You will like it if you are open minded and like the culture. I don't know what you know so far but its a lot better than what everyone thinks. More Freedom than you can imagine, and people are very open minded. The best cheap food, and plenty of things to see and do. You will not be bored and may not save money due to the opportunities. Off course like any other place be careful and know where not to go and what not to do. Having said that, overall its a safe place if you avoid the borders. Lebanese people are friendly and generous so you will make friends easily and more likely you will get help from colleagues. Summer is the best season to be in Lebanon, the beaches are amazing. American University is a great place to work at. If I get an offer now I would take it. I been there but never taught.
ShakHak

Post by ShakHak »

I've lived in the GCC since 2011 & both Arab & Western colleagues tell me that Lebanon is pretty liberal in comparison to other countries in the region. Go for it!

ShakHak https://coursecraft.net/courses/z9Pk8
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i would second the above poster. lebanon is definitely more liberal than any of the other middle east countries. lebs love their parties and EDM!
dubai and abu dhabi are alright too, but not as open.

v.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Your grammar is worse whenever you talk about the ME. Is this a stylistic choice? English teachers will say that rules can be broken if it's to achieve a certain effect.

On an unrelated note:

Since a lot of time on this forum is spent talking about the relative beauty of women in various countries, I thought I would stop and take a moment to point out that Lebanese men are a fetching bunch.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chilagringa

::giggle::

Conventions were created arbitrarily by humans, they can be unmade, adopted, and evolve by human kind just as conveniently.

i.e. "unrelated note";

I've received similar comments relating to the same, though they are often and quickly followed by proviso's that indicate Lebanese men also see their woman to some degree as possessions. Lebanese men talk of love with the same affection to woman as they do their most cherished property. I don't know if that's true, as the measure of a soul is determined by the memory they leave behind and the history they compose in actions and deeds.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

The bottom line is that you will not know until you try. Talk to as many people who actually worked in Lebanon and listen to their experiences. All I know is that I have a friend who worked in Beirut for 3 years after she was so scared and reluctant to accept the position. She loved the experience and had no regrets. Even after she moved to Japan for a better pay, she still visits Beirut once a year.
I am sure you can identify replies that are meant to help you and the ones that are poop trying to be sugar coded.
I don’t know why so many people twist this forum to highlight their personal racism/hate and turn it into an ignorant discussion. When they ignore your question and start arguing, you know they are not here to help you.
derPhysik

Post by derPhysik »

Did not teach there, taught near there. Went on vacation with another teacher. Found it fascinating and beautiful. Very civilized with exquisite food, cheap drink, kind and helpful people, patterned traffic, great daily newspapers, mind-blowing museums, and wide variety of music. Outside of school, you will be enriched and happy. Hope that helps!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Those people "helping" you telling you how wonderful such a place is, never has a line at a recruiting fair, and we all know why that is. There are lots of admins and admin cheerleaders who will rave about what a great place somewhere is but then they skip entirely or down play the negatives.
Despite how great Lebanon is the teacher who left for Japan, stayed in Japan, they didnt move back to Lebanon from Japan. Why is that JP is awesome and the ME isnt.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@nikkor

Syria, the Amazon, Butan, are all have "adventure" I would disagree on a good lifestyle, and I wouldnt want to live there or teach in Lebanon. Its not "savings", its hard to save in places like Spain, Italy, and a lot of places in WE but they ahve lines going across the room for those regions. Im glad you agree with me that JP is a far better region than Lebanon, and why people go to JP and dont come back to Lebanon.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

I am sorry but I did not experience any of what you are saying about Lebanon. You must be confused with another country. Or maybe we just met the right people and you met the worst. The power of attraction I guess.

Have you been to Lebanon or befriended a Lebanese family and saw how they treat their wives? What part of Lebanon have you experienced and how long ago, the 60th? Do you know that each part of Lebanon has different tradition and could be completely unique and different from the rest?

The Lebanese women I met were very assertive and independent, kind of like George Clooney's wife, Fayrouz, or Salma Hayek.

I am Buddhist and I am highly offended how you disrespect cultures including mine.

yes my friend loves Japan and just signed a new contract in Dubai next year looking for more fun. She liked Lebanon and visits it every year. Lebanon is not perfect and I am sure there are some issues. If we like it does not make it good and on the same token if you hate it does not make it bad.
Last edited by Manumanu on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Manumanu

We would appear to disagree. I am not speaking for you I am speaking for me, and it is my opinion. It is not better or worse, valid, or invalid than yours.

I am a (Taoist) Buddhist as well.