Nice cities in South America for....

teachingagain1945

Nice cities in South America for....

Post by teachingagain1945 »

I'm looking for cities or towns in Central and South America where one can live very healthy and inexpensively and where I can look for teaching positions or possibly even set up a very small language school; generating just enough income to keep me there. I would especially need:
-local fresh fish available and inexpensive
-fresh and inexpensive fruit and vegetables
-good areas and weather for running, biking, swimming, etc.
-hopefully fairly clean air?

If nothing else this will be someplace to spend this coming summer to regain my health after living in a polluted city which did not have sporting or enjoyable exercise opportunities or healthy food, etc.
chilagringa

Re: Nice cities in South America for....

Post by chilagringa »

Not quite Central America, but you might like parts of Veracruz, Mexico. The port of Veracruz might be too hot for jogging, etc, but there are nice inland cities like Jalapa, Orizaba and Cordoba. None would have international schools, but all major Mexican cities have private schools where you could probably worm your way in.

I would say parts of Guatemala, but I think the language school market is totally saturated. But I lived well on 400 bucks there. Ah, those were the days.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Maybe give this a read. Most of it is about South and Central America.

http://www.amazon.com/International-Liv ... 1118758595
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I would vote for Quito. I think it fits all your needs.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

Ecuador is indeed the top place to be an expat, apparently, but I cannot speak for it personally as I haven't yet been. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... expat.html
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Ecuador certainly is the expat haven. Really though your going to want to focus on major cities in Brazil, Argentina, etc, thats were your going to find a healthy demand for an English market.