Maple Leaf Educational Systems

Cangguru

Maple Leaf Educational Systems

Post by Cangguru »

O helpful ones,

Any news on these schools? Most of the info on these forums seems positive, but the few paid reviews of Dalian that exist are not so rosy and there are some other mixed reviews on the internet.

Has anyone taught at the schools recently? How are conditions? PMs welcome.
whoamI?

Re: Maple Leaf Educational Systems

Post by whoamI? »

I work at the Wuhan campus. The school is very much ran like a business. Which city are you headed to in China? Wuhan is pretty terrible to be honest, kind of a dump.

Are you talking about the harassment articles about Tianjin, and the blog about Maple Leaf? I believe it was coined: The Truth about maple Leaf? I haven't been harassed at Maple Leaf, but there are some bullies who like to pick on new teachers at the school. I don't think a lot of people renew their contracts, because most of them miss home.

Let me know if you have any specific questions; its a little difficult to give a general review about the school.

I'm happy to help!
Cangguru

Post by Cangguru »

I hadn't read that blog, so thanks. I probably will not be in Tianjin. The reviews were about Dalian on the paid side of this site, but there were not many. I am wondering if the schools are good places to get some experience and put up with some of the challenges that face lower-tier for-profit schools in China, or whether they should be avoided, and if so, why. I will send you a PM too if you don't mind.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Have you consider the other BC offshore schools. Some are in much more favourable locations, even within China.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page?id ... 450E70CE73
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

Take Maple Leaf if you have no other option. Its not the worst school, but its not very good either.
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

its a Chinese school, with Chinese students, Chinese and Canadian Admin, but the Chinese side has the final say, which means you're giving students a Chinese education, but still hitting BC PLO"s. I would say Maple Leaf is a boarding school, not an international school.

Teachers beware, I say.
sitka

Post by sitka »

I had a really a positive experience and will vouch that the admin in Dalian and Shanghai and Tianjin are all good people.
Cangguru

Post by Cangguru »

Thanks for all of the feedback. Again, some mixed reviews. Do people think that the schools at Dalian are better than Wuhan or vice-versa? Also, if you had a child would you send him or her to the foreign national school?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Third tier school for Chinese students run as a Chinese school, with Chinese management.

The schools in Dalian arent better, its just that Dalian being a resort type of city is a better place to be in than Wuhan. Choose a school for location not the school itself, things like landscaping and facilities are easy and pretty cheap.

Depends how you they are, in early primary youd get a strong education focused highly and math and science, and your child would learn and become fluent in mandarin. However the education expectations would be pretty intense, not that your child would have many other distractions. If it was anything older especially hitting secondary, then no, they wouldnt be competitive going back to the west after graduation.
Cangguru

Post by Cangguru »

Interesting input. So Dalian might be better, all other things equal. Would you say as a non-IB/WASC/etc. accredited school it would be a good career step for someone with not much IS experience or not particularly?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

What you really mean is non American (since WASC is only one accrediting body in the US, but WASC is the predominate one in Asia). If it was just a Chinese school it likely wouldnt be recognized in IE, they would likely consider it ESOL in an Academic setting. They have Canadian accreditation (BC) so its going to "count" on your resume, but its not going to turn any heads or impress a recruiter/admin. Your basically working at a third tier Chinese school that has a Canadian curriculum. If your a Canadian teacher and want to move through the Canadian school IS family its going to make you marketable otherwise you will just be ready to move on to a second tier school.
If you dont have a Canadian BC certificate you likely wont be allowed to teach in the Canadian program, which might not make you an attractive candidates. You can apply for a BC teacher certificate but its a long and involved process, and is comparatively expensive( about $500), (I gave up, and then went with PEI certification), the only benefit to BC certification is that you do not need a status of residence and there are a fair number of overseas BC schools (more than any other specific province).
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

sitka wrote:
> I had a really a positive experience and will vouch that the admin in
> Dalian and Shanghai and Tianjin are all good people.

I'll second this point about the administration, but good people does not mean you're in a good school. I would say Maple Leaf is top third tier, or low low second tier at best, even at Wuhan.

The administration is great at Wuhan too, though there have been some problems with teachers being bullied by other teachers at my school. A lot of work is also delegated to the teachers by administration at my school, which is probably normal, but I think its the company trying to reach out for stronger tier status.

Another thing to note is the company is expanding (too) rapidly. The school has a new campus sprouting up in Pingshan China, and xinxian. My claims have nothing to do with hating on the people, it has to do with giving a Chinese education in a Canadian accredited school. The school recently went publicly traded, and often there are important Chinese businessmen in suites visiting the campus, probably investors. the company is very much ran like a business, and it attracts customers by achieving passing averages in English, and even higher marks in math than back home.

Take the job if there is nothing else.
klooste

Post by klooste »

I went under the knife in China, and everything was covered by the insurance company. I am actually quite pleased with Maple Leaf's medical insurance (MSH-China) and the Chinese hospital I visited. I love China though, so I'm probably biased! =D
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

klooste wrote:
> I went under the knife in China, and everything was covered by the
> insurance company. I am actually quite pleased with Maple Leaf's medical
> insurance (MSH-China) and the Chinese hospital I visited. I love China
> though, so I'm probably biased! =D

Using the medical insurance is hard if you can't speak Chinese though, I've had several respitory problems, and had to visit the doctor in my city many times. It is not very convenient, and the translation is unbearable at times. the overall issue is that my health issue is coming from Maple Leaf, from mouldy classrooms and office spaces. It is mandatory for schools to give a foreigner insurance, but that doesn't mean it needs to be great insurance. Local policies can work too!