Thinking About Teaching in the Middle East?

ShakHak

Thinking About Teaching in the Middle East?

Post by ShakHak »

I'm an American who's lived in the GCC region since 2011.

The Good:
* Oil wealthy nations in the GCC have some of the most generous compensation packages for Western teachers available. If your goal is to make, save &/or invest money, consider the Middle East.
* Many countries in the GCC are used to Westerners & so there's a moderate degree of Westernization to help you feel comfortable.
* Wonderful weather (except during summer months when it's hell hot & expats run to cooler climates), lovely beaches & easy travel to other parts of the world.

The Bad:
* The Eastern concept of time is the polar opposite of what Westerners are used to. Be prepared for most things to take FOREVER.
* The culture of the majority of the GCC stems from a nomadic root. This means that change is constant. Expect for there to be a lack of consistency with most things.
* Many locals are very privileged and are known to treat foreigners with varying levels of respect, depending on your nationality. So, Americans, people from the UK, the Irish, the Scottish & then everyone else in descending order are given respect based on nationality.

The Ugly:
* Media censorship isn't balanced out with non mainstream or alternative options. You may never really know the extent of issues going on in a particular country or as it relates to Western expats unless it's a major story that can't be ignored.
* Student behavior can rival that of the toughest schools in the West.
* Varying levels of what we as Westerners would consider ethnocentrism, gender inequality and injustice are daily parts of life. Protest and get jailed or kicked out.

I'm happy to answer any questions & strongly urge you to consider taking my eCourse which teaches culturally relevant & effective behavior management strategies - what you 've learned & used in your home country is likely to not work as well out here - and also learn the nitty gritty, real deal cultural nuances you've gotta know in order to stay off the next episode of "Locked Up Abroad" and prevent burn out. https://coursecraft.net/courses/z9Pk8
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There is only one reason to visit the ME and thats for the money you have to be a mercenary about it. I wouldnt say they are use to westerners, not would I agree with the weather (its a desert).
ShakHak

Re: Thinking About Teaching in the Middle East?

Post by ShakHak »

PsyGuy, I'm not sure what you mean by "you have to be a mercenary about it?" The weather is definitely close to unbearable in the summer but from Dec - March it's pretty decent. Right now for instance, it's pretty spring like. :-)

Many are definitely used to Westerners as there are so many of us throughout the GCC. Now, how do they feel about us? That's a different question! ;-) Seriously though, most non Westerners have become more accustomed to, and accepting of, our presence.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@ShakHak

December-March is 3 to 4 months thats a third of a year at best. Most places that people want to be its the other way around, its miserable for 3-4 months and then nice the rest of the time.

There are westerners a lot of places, being used to some condition doesnt mean it welcomed and appreciated. The native Japanese are "used" to the American military presence, but none of them want the US military there (unless the conversation is on money). I would agree that they are "used" to westerners, but continuing on your line of thought, they arent what I would consider welcoming and warm regarding westerners.

What I mean by "Mercenary" is that when it comes to the ME you have to have a laser focused mindset that your there for the money, always the money, because the ITs (and really many professions and business) that survive in the tidal wave and whirl pool of poo that will surround you from spoiled kids whos parents can have you locked up for allegedly saying anything about Allah or Muhammad, to the human atrocities (workers being beaten by their employers), to the bureaucratic crud from the ministry and provincial authorities all the way to your own schools sociopathic admin and ownership, to the coworkers that could not get a job outside the ME to save their lives, that keep "the money" firmly centered and focused in their minds and that guides them day by day just as a mercenary keeps their mission and their survival the focus of what they do, it is those ITs that are successful in the ME.
ShakHak

Post by ShakHak »

Good points about the weather PsyGuy! I've lived here since 2011 so it's possible that I've acclimated more than I realize. ;-)

Some Arabs are warm & welcoming towards Westerners with the accompanying traditional hospitality, others are indifferent and still others seem quietly annoyed by us. It's a range for sure.

Ahh, thanks for explaining what you meant by "mercenary." I agree that having a laser like focus & sticking to it is one way to get the most out of being here.
vitaminz

Re: Reply

Post by vitaminz »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @ShakHak
>
> What I mean by "Mercenary" is that when it comes to the ME you
> have to have a laser focused mindset that your there for the money, always
> the money, because the ITs (and really many professions and business) that
> survive in the tidal wave and whirl pool of poo that will surround you from
> spoiled kids whos parents can have you locked up for allegedly saying
> anything about Allah or Muhammad, to the human atrocities (workers being
> beaten by their employers), to the bureaucratic crud from the ministry and
> provincial authorities all the way to your own schools sociopathic admin
> and ownership, to the coworkers that could not get a job outside the ME to
> save their lives, that keep "the money" firmly centered and
> focused in their minds and that guides them day by day just as a mercenary
> keeps their mission and their survival the focus of what they do, it is
> those ITs that are successful in the ME.

I don't think that I've EVER agreed with PsyGuy on here but I think this quote is spot on.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I'm with PsyGuy on this too. I've done 8 years in 3 countries in the ME and wouldn't still be here now if I hadn't taken a second hit with the stock market crash a few years back. You have to pick your country, your school and your salary package very carefully and have an exit plan in mind. Your pay should reward you for the embuggerances you have to put up with - not just your workload. You soon know when you have had enough. With all that is going in on the region (personally) I think the future of international schools out here is very shaky. Make coin whilst you can.