missy

Bahrain/Anyone been there ?

Post by missy »

What is it like living in Bahrain ?
Has anyone been there or lived there ?
pds86

Re: Bahrain/Anyone been there ?

Post by pds86 »

I've got friends living/working at a school there. Package is good and they're having a great time. They have a young family though - not so sure if it would be right for a singleton like myself!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

There is good and bad. Good - weather is nice for much of the year. Humidity/heat in late spring/late summer is crazy - but oh! the winters and fall/spring are great. Earnings are nice and Bahrain is very western. Pork, alcohol, movies, water park, shopping, beaches, Bahrain is nice. Downside - many hookers at hotels to cater to the Saudi market.

Politically, Bahrain has a Sunni ruling family and a largely Shia population. There were protests and action against the government, which in turn accused Iran (with some truth), of meddling, although the real reality is Shias are discriminated against in Bahrain. This action continues, but is largely confined outside the areas where teachers etc are living and working.

The only way to get out of Bahrain without a Saudi transit visa is by air. You won't be driving many places.

That said, I enjoyed traveling to Bahrain. You can buy western products easily, including Christmas stuff, Easter stuff, etc. Would I move there? Maybe to Riffa Views, not sure about the others though.
missy

Post by missy »

Thanks for this information.

Does one need an exit visa each time they leave Bahrain or no ?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You should have a multiple exit/reentry visa in your passport if you are working there. Don't quote me that this is the law, but if you came in on a tourist visa it is only good for so many days and then you have to leave - they track you for sure because it is not a big place. So I would say you need an exit visa, but from what others have told me it is not a big deal. Bahrain isn't Saudi or Qatar.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its one of the better locations in the ME, if there is such a thing. I still wouldnt want to live thee at this point. You dont need an exit visa for Bahrain.