IB kindergarten experience

International_dreams

IB kindergarten experience

Post by International_dreams »

Hi guys?

I??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????????????????wonder whether it will affect my career in the future.

Do you think two years of teaching IB, PYP at a nursery level will still hold me in good stead for further international teaching along the primary range?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: IB kindergarten experience

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Well, there are no certain answers. It would depend on the new school to a certain extent (reputation, training provided, etc). Having some IB training and experience would be a plus in the eyes of many schools that offer the IB. I do think that some of the better/bigger schools might question your CV a bit if you have only one year in your home country, then 2 years at a Kindergarten only school.

I don't think it would be career maker or killer either way, so you have to ask if you really, really want to be teaching abroad and do you see the new school as a rewarding and enjoyable place to work? Do you think you will be able to live well on the package? HK is supposed to be a great place but it is expensive and you want to be able to enjoy your new life. Good luck with your decision and future career.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I have never really heard of IB Kindergarten, so I checked it out and learned something new :-)

The IB programme spans Pre-K (3 year olds) up to grade 12. Who knew?

It would be a good entry to an IB school - but make sure you get training! No training means it isn't worth it.

Just my 2 pence.

shad
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

yeah at our school the pre-k's did some PYP stuff, but as you could imagine language changed quite a bit and concepts made in very kid friendly language. the k1's and k2's ssame thing but it's pretty impressive what they can do when you take a step back and realize these kids are 4 and 5 years old.

good stepping stone, good opportunity for training but i couldn't stay there in K for long!

v.
International_dreams

Post by International_dreams »

Thanks for the advice guys.
I'm still unsure whether to take it. My main aim is to teach abroad, but I don't want to do it prematurely and shoot myself in the foot.
The package is good - a generous salary plus housing, and with annual flights, so that is a plus.
I just have a feeling that if I could do one more year in the UK it would help me out so much.

Thanks
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Well, 2 years is the minimum experience that larger/better int'l schools will want from a candidate (and that many countries will want in order to grant you a work visa) so if you had a bit more experience it may open some further doors for you. If you like the idea of HK then take a look at ESF and keep an eye out for their recruitment drive next year.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The normal bar to entry as an IT is 2 years of domestic experience. This opportunity would allow you to enter IT early and get PYP training and experience. What are your goals and what are your options? If your goal is upper primary/KS2 and your in a position in that grade range then teaching K/Nursery isnt going to compensate for the IB experience/training. Restricted PYP programs dont provide the same experience of what PYP is as youd find in a full primary school. If your goal however is teaching in lower primary/KS1, then the PYP experience and training would be marketable.

Lastly, few people get the opportunity to enter IT early, and HK is a one of the little tigers that would increase your marketability in Asia, unless what your doing is going to greatly increase your marketability in one year, this would be an uncommon and rare opportunity.