Anyone else hearing crickets?

shadowjack

Re: Anyone else hearing crickets?

Post by shadowjack »

Sudra,

I second giraffe's sentiment. Go for the stronger candidate to get admin and the other to stay teaching. Try to move the other into a semi-admin level position such as counselor and then up from there. Might be easier than two admins, which often doesn't happen at schools.

just my 2 cents.

shad
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

@MizMorton,

if you see schools still have vacancies you are interested in, send another email expressing interest and with your CVs attached. It can't hurt. It might open a door. But it costs nothing, so go for it!

shad
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MizMorton

I think you misunderstood, and I didnt communicate accurately. This forum is what ever its readership and contributors want to make it. You most certainly can ask for support and others can certainly offer it. My intention was that you might have a more productive showing of support on a forum or social media network that is more personal for you.

My issue with the support, is that its a false one, and this forum this thread and these posts will be here months and years from now, and while today those words of support and encouragement may make you feel better, but they are inaccurate. 80% of new IT candidates are successful, that means 20% or 1 in 5 of them are not successful, and for those it doesnt end happily.

It may be demoralizing, but its true, many IT candidates back in their public schools may be rockstars there, but that doesnt mean anything in IE. Those 20% that are unsuccessful, are unsuccessful mostly because their range of expectations didnt match their marketability. They want WE and no one in WE wants them. The secondary cause for a lack of success is the teacher who has a logistical issue, such as too large of a family.

DUFF = Designated Ugly Fat Friend.

I am also an English Lit teacher in 3 countries and 5 states. Short answer this isnt writing, its a conversation, this is a forum and we are speaking, as such I type phonetically. I also dont believe in using apostrophes.

@reisgio

Independent schools in the States (globally actually) are pretty nice, but they arent Europe, or abroad, and thats a strong motivation for why people enter IT. Its just not the same thing.

@Sudra2r2

Your experiences really dont stand out as admins, youve been coordinators, and those are junior admin positions. You dont have IE experience. Generally, you can either move up or over 1 step. Two admin positions is going to be a hard find, your better looking for a bilingual school than an IS. You dont need 2 admin positions you just need one, and then you hire your spouse, it happens all the time.

I strong agree with the previous posters. You need to act sooner and not later, by the time you decide to look at teaching vacancies, there will be fewer vacancies.
tomgreen_84

Post by tomgreen_84 »

I also have Jessica as my rep and I have not gotten one response from her. I am not sure if Search was worth the cost as so far its been crickets on both ends, from schoosl and Search.
senator

Post by senator »

A little of hope for you all:

I got my first international teaching job at a pretty good school in China in May after I struck out at the winter ISS fair.

Just keep trying and have a backup plan. And remember that not getting a job has nothing to do with your abilities as teachers, no matter what certain people on this forum might tell you.

Good luck.