Cranleigh Abu Dhabi

Sonnypest264

Cranleigh Abu Dhabi

Post by Sonnypest264 »

Obviously Cranleigh AB is a new start up since September, any inside info out there? Lots of positions advertised as it is expanding, but also noticed several re-advertised this past week. Website makes it look interesting and philosophy sounds good but.....is it living up to it?
vandsmith

Re: Cranleigh Abu Dhabi

Post by vandsmith »

i hear from colleagues it's a pretty fantastic school, good curriculum, and excellent facilities. i have no firsthand info on it, but within 10 years i think it will be a great place to work/live around. the island that it's built on is developing pretty fast.

sorry not that helpful!

v.
Sonnypest264

Post by Sonnypest264 »

@Vandsmith
Thanks, are those colleagues working there or is it word of mouth?
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

word of mouth. no one i know works there.
sorry!

v.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its a third tier school in the ME. Capital projects mean nothing, lots of very nice looking schools are bottom tier schools. They are banking on the rep of Cranleigh in the UK. Its like every other sales pitch, at for profit (and they are despite what their tax status is) schools. Its the same business model, theres a lot of competition for tuition dollars in AD, charge parents a lot of money so that their average mediocre kid can get in and then hopefully bank on the name to get them into a decent Uni. Of course the school will make sure the student has an amazing transcript to help that, but its nothing more then a grooming school for students who are better resourced than they are capable.
Sonnypest264

Post by Sonnypest264 »

@Psyguy
I'm sorry I'd rather here from people with actual experience of the School. How on Earth can you do your usual 3rd tier rubbish on a school that has only been open since September? You seem to think you have to respond to every thread, just chill out and let those in the know reply, and if there aren't any out there then fine the thread dies.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Because its only been open since september, you dont start at the top and "fall" your way down. You start at the bottom and earn your way up.

I only reply to posts to which I have experience or reliable/trusted resources, hence why I respond.
lookingforlefty

Re: Response

Post by lookingforlefty »

PsyGuy wrote:
> its nothing more then a grooming school for students who are
> better resourced than they are capable.

This is true of almost every international school in the whole world, especially in the Middle East.

The 'brand name' often does mean something. It probably means the school is better-resourced to start off, and it probably looks better on your resume than some other crappy school with no brand name.

Some of the brand name chain schools in Asia seem to have done well. Harrow, etc. But unlike in Asia, the rich people of the Middle East often seem culturally incapable of receiving a proper education, no matter the name of the school.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats not true, a number of elite ISs have truly exceptional student bodies. I agree though its generally true of the ME.

It deosnt really mean anything, "looking good" on your transcript conveys no amount of quality or substance. Its just appearance, which ME parents think matters. I agree education is abysmal in the ME, and yet they keep throwing money at it as if that is the solution, money is however the hammer and only tool those in the ME possess.

Harrow has been quite successful in Asia. They make a good coming up story.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

Promising place, but working in a new school is incredibly hard. I do know people who work there.
Dino

Post by Dino »

Hi
Im really intetested in this school but saddiyat island looks expensive. How are your friends finding cost of living on the island? Are they happy at the school. It looks amazing and such a good reputation. Do they live on campus with boarders?
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

At the moment they live in a hotel, school pays. In future they will live on school campus, living on saadiyat is expensive indeed.
Sonnypest264

Post by Sonnypest264 »

@Ddd
Having been in a new start up school I know what you mean about it being hard, but also incredibly erwarding to be part of the establishment of a new ethose. I think this is Carnleigh's first franchise as well, so unlike say Dulwich which has an established blueprint, I guess they are still finding their feet. It sounds like the building phasing is still on going in terms of accommodation. Are the people you know that work their on ISR by any chance so they could provide some more insight, or if not could you ask if they would be willing to establish a private correspondence?
PsyGuy

Disucssion

Post by PsyGuy »

Saddiyat is very expensive, its basically living on an island resort. Franchise isnt very accurate, partnership is more appropriate.

New Schools can be rewarding, more often though that optimism isnt realized.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Response

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Its a third tier school in the ME. Capital projects mean nothing, lots of
> very nice looking schools are bottom tier schools. They are banking on the
> rep of Cranleigh in the UK. Its like every other sales pitch, at for profit
> (and they are despite what their tax status is) schools. Its the same
> business model, theres a lot of competition for tuition dollars in AD,
> charge parents a lot of money so that their average mediocre kid can get in
> and then hopefully bank on the name to get them into a decent Uni. Of
> course the school will make sure the student has an amazing transcript to
> help that, but its nothing more then a grooming school for students who are
> better resourced than they are capable.
-------------------------
And yet they have a learning support department.