Family friendly schools

threeplustwo

Family friendly schools

Post by threeplustwo »

My husband and I are both teachers, science and 2nd grade. We are very interested in teaching overseas. We have a 12 year old daughter. Our biggest concern is her safety and how she will be treated at an international school. She is very outgoing, athletic and involved in many activities here in the states. What are some countries/schools that are good family options for us?
Thanks!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

She will be treated either typically as she would domestically or she will be very popular depending on the school and the makeup of the student body (JHS girls would all want her as their new bff).

Your question would involve a VERY long list of schools, and countries. These are schools after all not youth jails, if you cant bring in parents and students you dont stay in business for very long.
Any of the tier 1 or 2 schools will be great. WE, NE, and the little tigers in Asia (HK, SG, JP) will all be fine. the rest of asia less so, but asia in general when it comes to children is safe, your daughter just might not "feel" safe in some of those parts. Avoid the ME, SA and Africa, EE safety and security depends on the your locality. Prague and Moscow youd feel secure and comfortable in.
calvin76

Re: Family friendly schools

Post by calvin76 »

I would have to disagree about South America. Like most places, it would depend on the school, but from my experience and the experiences of other IT friends who bore and raised several children in SA, it can be a wonderful, warm (literally and figuratively) place to work.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

An out of the way school that many people try to avoid like the plague is American International School Dhaka, in Bangladesh. They have a fantastic sports program, staff is fairly tight and social, fair amount to do, and very international. Then again, I like things off the beaten track and have avoided places like Singapore :-)

Just my 2 cents,

shad
threeplustwo

Post by threeplustwo »

Ok I am really a newbie to international teaching but a 20 year veteran of USA teaching. :) @shad why do ppl avoid American International School at Dhaka? I am feeling very overwhelmed by all of the information or lack there of about international schools!! I think my husband and I will be able to find a job we both have master degrees, good references, technology experience plus husband is a NTBS science teacher. I am afraid to make a HUGE mistake and accept a job at school that is the wrong tier, wrong location, wrong fit etc. We are looking for jobs for 16-17 school year. Currently I teach in a school that the population is 48% free and reduced lunch kids so I am no stranger to hard work but YIKES this is confusing!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Threeplustwo,

Do you belong to the paid side of ISR with access to reviews? If not, I recommend it. Not because I believe every review there is, but because reading the reviews gives you some idea of what you *might* encounter. A set of consistent reviews of a couple of years gives you a better picture. And after you've been out on the circuit for awhile, you can pick out what might be truer from what might not be.

As for Dhaka, Bangladesh is a very poor country. It is almost entirely on flood plains of a myriad of rivers, so it gets floods most years (although not necessarily in Dhaka's high areas, where the embassies, etc tend to be). Because of this and the high population concentration, Dhaka is your classic Asian third country megalopolis with good and bad bits spread out. Pollution is an issue due to population, and there are lots of poor people. The humidity and heat can be extreme.

I know people who went to AISD and lasted two years and were glad to go. I know people who went and stayed for 5 or 6 years. All of them spoke of the school as being good - and those with kids spoke of the opportunities for their kids for travel on sports teams and for extra-curricular activities in general. But all the other stuff scares people away.

Just my 2 cents - and there are other schools in not great places that I would go to, no problem, because of the quality of school and quality of life offered.

shad
Heimtun

Post by Heimtun »

I'm happy to see what you wrote about AISD, @shad. That's where we're headed, and it had everything we were looking for. That being said, we were more interested in developing countries like Senegal, Tanzania, Myanmar, etc rather than Switzerland/France, etc.

@threeplustwo, AISD is by all accounts a great community for the kids (we have three and our oldest is 11 so I hear your concerns about finding the right fit for her)--there are some incredible opportunities for the kids, including traveling to other countries for sports and a week-long service learning traveling as well. It also offers a package that is hard to beat for its employees. I know what we're in for as far as the poverty/pollution goes; I think I'll have the hardest time with the heat/humidity. We felt like we made a really nice connection with the outgoing director (John Gates will be interim director as they continue their hiring process this year) as well as the principals. Both the director and one of the principals have children, and they have been in Bangladesh for a number of years.

AISD has completed their hiring for the upcoming year, but keep them and other similar schools (we also really liked the idea of ISD in Dakar) in mind for the future. Good luck!
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

Threeplustwo:

I'm a newbie this year as well. My hubby and two kids are headed to Malaysia this summer. We did an exhaustive amount of research! I also suggest subscribing to TIE online to read the articles and have access to their online database and newspaper. When you are ready to start job hunting, start this summer. International teaching recruiting starts much sooner than here in the states. You will also want to sign up for an agency like Search Associates which has a data base that is worth it alone. You also need to start thinking about who you want to ask for references. I would start with what areas of the world you would be comfortable in first, then go from there. Ex-pat forums and blogs are great resources of insider information such as living conditions, school recommendations, etc. I also will be having my 12 year old girl and 9 year boy going. I'm more concerned with my introverted boy than the girl. Good Luck!
threeplustwo

Post by threeplustwo »

Thanks for the responses! @twoteachers - I have done all those things we belong to TIE and have started with search associates and are in the process of updating very old resumes and getting references. We actually have 3 kids but one will be on to grad school and the other in his 3rd year of college. Maybe because our daughter is the youngest I am more worried. We have had several year long exchange students live with us and our two older kids have spent lots of time overseas as exchange students and traveling. I would love to hear what you think of Malaysia and how your year goes would you be will to connect outside of this forum?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@calvin76

The concern I have with S.A is less about actual security and feeling safe and secure, perhaps i didnt explain well. There are parts of SA that are bad and the give the region in general a less than favorable reputation.

@threeplustwo

I agree with SJ, Dhaka is a nice enough school its just in a very poor, impoverished third world country. Most people dont even know where it is and theres nothing really going on there or worth seeing, unless your into that particular form of altruism

There is actually a lot of information, but its spread out, and more importantly its foreign/alien to you. Once youve been in the profession of an IT for a couple years it doesnt feel like their is an absence of data. When you were studying to be a teacher you were familiar with the system because you were a student in it, youd feel a lot more comfortable and less confused if you went to an IS or IB school. It just takes time and exposure.

Search Associates (SA) and International School Services (ISS), are the premium agencies, and I recommend a job board like TIE or JOY jobs. To do a really exhaustive search though you will have to do some of the legwork yourself.
The paid side of this site is very useful, but even top tier schools have complainers and this school is a dumping ground for frustrations and complaints.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

Family Friendly Schools Article and Blog
http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... chools.htm
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

I don't think all tier 2 schools would be the best. My high school is tier two, but I don't know if you'd want your daughter in a school where she was the only one who spoke native English.
irishobie

Post by irishobie »

Have you thought about Oman, Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany?
threeplustwo

Post by threeplustwo »

Here is newbie question :) how do I know what tier a school is?
@whoamI that is really what I am worried about. We are from a small midwest area and she is involved in everything and very outgoing. I want her to be able to be included in school and have friends, NOT stand out. We have looked at schools in South Korea, and south east Asia. China is out because of pollution. She would love to continue to play hockey but is trying Lacrosse this spring so she has other options. We would be totally comfortable in Europe but could we afford it???? Middle East worries me because she and I scream American we are almost 75% Swedish white blond hair very fair etc. Several people have warned me that she could be a target for bullying in the Middle East. Thoughts everyone????
Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it! We want to be open to all areas but love information from people who have done this before!!
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

threeplustwo wrote:
> Here is newbie question :) how do I know what tier a school is?
> @whoamI that is really what I am worried about. We are from a small
> midwest area and she is involved in everything and very outgoing. I want
> her to be able to be included in school and have friends, NOT stand out. We
> have looked at schools in South Korea, and south east Asia. China is out
> because of pollution. She would love to continue to play hockey but is
> trying Lacrosse this spring so she has other options. We would be totally
> comfortable in Europe but could we afford it???? Middle East worries me
> because she and I scream American we are almost 75% Swedish white blond
> hair very fair etc. Several people have warned me that she could be a
> target for bullying in the Middle East. Thoughts everyone????
> Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it! We want to be open to all
> areas but love information from people who have done this before!!
The whole Tier thing is very subjective. If you search threads here you find many opinions and even some top 5 lists for specific countries. When in doubt, ask about specific schools, countries etc. Also, check out the reviews on the paid side for more opinions.

When you are in with Search you will also be able to access a school's database and see a break down of where the faculty and students are from. If you are concerned (and you should be to some extent) then look for schools with a reasonable percentage of students that are from North America (or at least not local).

Generally the larger, better schools in most regions/countries will be reasonably international in nature. If you do consider the ME make sure you do your due diligence and only consider offers from schools that will meet your entire family's needs.