KING FAISAL SCHOOL (BOYS) RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA

Nomad68

KING FAISAL SCHOOL (BOYS) RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA

Post by Nomad68 »

HI, CAN ANYONE TELL ME ANYTHING bout King Faisal School, Riyadh, in particular staff accommodation?
Is it in a compound or in the community?
What facilities are provided?
I have a trailing spouse and 2 pre-school kids. Don't want them cooped up in an apartment with no place to go without me.
Thanks!
vandsmith

Re: KING FAISAL SCHOOL (BOYS) RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA

Post by vandsmith »

i think in saudi, all teachers live in compounds.
maybe shadowjack can help you out here?

v.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Nomad,

Al Faisal is on the DQ, situated right next to the US embassy. It is an all Saudi school that offers the MYP/DP (and not sure about the PYP as nobody I knew taught there at that level). I know that two years ago or so they were trying to institute more English into the MYP program, which was largely taught by Arabic speaking teachers, which hurt the students' going into DP. Classes are fairly small. I once looked at taking a job there, but realized that for my specialty it wouldn't really work, and ended up elsewhere. I know the HS principal/director I was dealing with left last year and is now in Vietnam. Not sure who replaced him and what effect that had on the school.

Housing is in apartments on the DQ. The diplomatic quarter is a fairly elite place to live. Women go walking there, biking there, hiking there and socializing there quite freely. To get onto the DQ, entrants must go through checkpoints, one at each entrance. It is not a hassle doing so, but they do keep the regular people out.

Living on the DQ gives the opportunity to make some diplomatic friends and have access to embassies for functions, which is nice. I enjoyed being at an embassy at 11 at night dancing to a rock band and relaxing with 'refreshments' and enjoying the great weather. It is NOT a compound, but the non-diplomats who live there are people like medical doctors, business people, and Saudis who are connected.

Hope that helps - if you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

shad
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with SJack, and id just reinforce that its just a very, very, very well resourced local school for Saudi kids, its still a Saudie school and everything that comes with it. You have to go for the money, and the moneys good. I wouldnt work there or live there but if you did you could easily do worse, and just as easily do a LOT worse.
Q8Sobieski

Post by Q8Sobieski »

REMOVED BY FORUM MODERATOR

We ask that you not post school review type material to this forum. We invite you to visit the Member Forum (in the Member Area of the site). The Member Forum is specifically for asking for and posting school-review type comments.

Here is a link to the ISR Member Forum. You will need to log in as an ISR Member at the next screen.

https://www.internationalschoolsreview. ... ers/forum/

Thanks very much for your cooperation.

Ben @ ISR
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Many thanks for all the replies!
MakeAMessArt

Post by MakeAMessArt »

REMOVED BY FORUM MODERATOR

We ask that you not post school review type material to this forum. We invite you to visit the Member Forum (in the Member Area of the site). The Member Forum is specifically for asking for and posting school-review type comments.

Here is a link to the ISR Member Forum. You will need to log in as an ISR Member at the next screen.

https://www.internationalschoolsreview. ... ers/forum/

Thanks very much for your cooperation.

Ben @ ISR