Licensure questions (for split positions)

kellysensei

Licensure questions (for split positions)

Post by kellysensei »

Some of this will be repetitive from my other recent posts, but I am trying to plan out my life for the next few years. I'm 35 years old (36 on Saturday) with a K-12 ESL teaching license and an M.Ed. in ESL. I have seven years teaching experience in the US and two in Japan (at a conversation school). I would like to teach ESL at an international school.

I realize that Psyguy doesn't think I have a chance in hell of landing an ESL job with two kids and a non-teaching spouse, but for argument's sake, let's say I will eventually hit the job jackpot.

From what I've seen on job postings and on faculty lists on school web sites, some schools combine ESL positions with other positions, like SpEd or Drama. I don't want to teach Drama, but I'm open to teaching computers/technology, reading, social studies, health, or even math. My question is, would certification be absolutely necessary for those subjects if it's combined with an ESL job? Or would experience and graduate credits be enough? I am able and willing to take a bunch of continuing ed classes (with graduate credits) in the subjects I mentioned, and those classes could include field experiences and practicums. But they wouldn't result in licensure. I guess I could possibly pursue licensure in computers/tech, but it's still expensive at over $6000.

So, should I pursue graduate credits and field experiences in any of those subjects? Which one would be most marketable? Or should I just stick to ESL and maybe get more presentation/teacher training experience under my belt?

Thank you for any advice.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Licensure questions (for split positions)

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Have you checked out the requirements for some of those subjects in your current state? Many states make it very easy to add a subject to an existing certificate just by testing (Florida comes to mind). For example, I added Elementary K-6 to my SPED certificate just by taking the test.

You would theoretically not need any classes to do this. Any classes, training, practicums, etc could go towards showing a prospective school that you are actively trying to add/hone your skills and knowledge in a second subject.

I think the ways schools split their ESL position depends on the size of the school and the qualifications the current person/faculty brings to the school (i.e. it's probably flexible from year to year). So, almost anything you add could be useful (or not) to a given school in a given recruitment year. I would first look to see what could be added with very little expense/effort and then think about a long term project that you may actually want to teach.

Have you ever thought about SPED? In the int'l circuit, it's very similar to ESL in many ways since you would not be getting many (if any) students beyond the mild range who just need a bit of extra support, organization, nagging etc. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kellysensei

Well looking at the subjects youd be comfortable teaching:

Reading: Really doesnt exist, its a public school position, but in ISs reading is taught at primary by the HRT and in secondary its an integrated component of the Eng. Lit program. Very few schools have a dedicated reading teacher as they just dont schedule 6 classes a day of reading specifically. Reading would be part of the LS (Learning Support) or SEN (Special Education Needs)program at school that had it, because what you know as SPED doesnt really exist in ISs its all SPED lite, its basically mild needs.

Computers/Technology: This is a full time position, either the school is big enough that you do this all day or they split it between instructional duties and tech support duties at a small school. What is your experience in CSCI/Tech, if all you have is a certification and no background (academic) or experience your not going to find someone to give you a class teaching AP/IGCSE/DIP, which means they need to hire someone else. The best your looking at is elementary technology.

Social Studies: What can you teach in social studies in upper secondary social studies is very specific US history is only marketable at American schools, hows your world history, do you do economics (and youd want business studies to go with it)? The other marketable social studies field is geography, everything else is pretty much a small niche if your thinking psychology or sociology, political science or government. You would need at least two of the main three to be even in the pool. As above, social studies teachers are a dime a dozen and with just a certification no one going to give you a upper secondary classroom, with no experience.
The only positive potential I see is that if you combined the ESOL with one of those niche social sciences could be a doable combination.

Health: Do you have P.E. (or PSPE in IB), and what are your coaching sports? Your not otherwise going to find an exclusive health position. Though there are PE teachers who know nothing about health so its not something hard to break into. Health/PE is the vacancy they save or create when they have a male trailing spouse for a female admin.

Math: How much math do you have on your transcript, there are a lot of American trained math teachers who cant go past algebra/geometry. Having a cert and little academics is not going to inspire anyone to give you an upper secondary classroom. Still if you have the academic background or prior math teaching experience this is the easiest one to break into with no experience.

Yes certification is absolutely necessary for you, because any school thats going to green light your family logistical expense is going to want certification.

I dont know where your state of certification is but if you want to be a successful IT you need to move your certification to a friendlier state that allows you to add certifications by taking the certification exam. DC, and Hawaii are the easiest, followed by Texas and Florida (though at some point your going to want to move your certification and park it in CA.). It would be FAR cheaper to move your certification and take a couple exams then it would to spend $6000 on a new certification program.

I would look into library if your not interested in Sp.Ed. Really, wrldtrvlr123 and I though we struggled a lot with Sp.Ed and "Sp.Ed lite" in IS settings; Sp.Ed is really just learning support for mild need students who need just a little accommodation and modification. You dont have BMU or life skills units, and the strength with Sp.Ed is that you can market a significant amount of your ESOL experience to Sp.Ed positions since your essentially working with special population students.
The other option is library, you can get certified very quickly as a librarian. Working in a library as a reading enrichment or ESOL teacher, especially in a small primary school where the technology and library staff is the same person, would be marketable if you spin it right, and thats really whats going to get you that golden ticket is being able to not just "potentially" serve multiple rolls but actually fill multiple rolls that a school would have to hire individually for.

Lastly, if you meet the DODEA requirements and you really want to go to JP, ESOL is a marketable field in DoDDS especially if you can combine it with Ed. Tech. The benefit is that your family logistical issues vanish and basically are no longer issues in DoDDS.
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

wrldtrvlr123, thank you for your response. Psyguy, thank you for a useful post that is not totally discouraging.

I'm in Minnesota where certification standards are pretty strict. As far as I can tell, all licensure here requires 10-21 credits of coursework as well as an exam. I will look into getting certification from other states. I could take some continuing ed. classes here and pass subject area exams, I'm sure.

It looks like these are the subject area exams in Florida: http://www.fl.nesinc.com/tests.asp
Does anyone know if I'd have to to take the Florida General Knowledge test, or if I would just need to take the subject area test for licensure in Florida? I assume that my Minnesota licensure and scores would transfer and I'd just need the subject area exam, but correct me if I'm wrong...

I will check out DoDDS schools as well; thanks!
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

No problem. For your initial certification in ESL I don't think you would need to take any tests in Fl, provided you have the other state certification and degree and/or coursework they require for the subject. Once you have the 5 year professional, then you should only need to take subject area tests in most subjects.
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

That sounds almost too good to be true. So all I need to do to become a certified math teacher is pass a math test? I took the practice "Middle Grades 5-9 Mathematics" test on the Florida web site and got 25/30. I don't know yet what a passing score/percentage is, but with some studying, I know I could pass. Seems odd that I could become licensed to teach math without much coursework or experience. But if that's the case, then I don't see why I *shouldn't* do that, if it'll increase my chances of getting a job.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Kellysensei,

Good luck on your journey! It is interesting to see you try to shape you and your significant other's preferences to meet the overseas need :-)

I would like to caution you a bit, though. Yes, it appears that you might be able to get math certification. However, and this is a big however, you won't be certified to teach IB DP math, or math 11/12, or AP math 11/12. That is definitely a limiting factor, but not a deal breaker.

The thing to be very careful of is that the type of school that would hire you and take on your family, unless you too hit the jackpot, is going to be a school where you (a) might not be thrilled to teach at once the shine wears off (usually fairly quickly) and where (b) if you do stay around, you would want your kids to go to.

Yes, I know that posters will share their experience where they got that lovely spot with minimal credentials; however, someone has to win the lottery every now and then.

If you want my honest advice, get your significant other certified in tech/computers. Tell him to bit the bullet. The type of students you would be dealing with as a teaching couple will likely be very different than those you would be dealing with as a single hire, because as a teaching couple, you are already an upgrade. Students are usually much better behaved than at home - except for those schools I warned you about in paragraph 2!

This is just my 2 cents. I wish you all well in whatever adventure you choose to pursue, and please do keep us posted!

shad
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

kellysensei wrote:
> That sounds almost too good to be true. So all I need to do to become a
> certified math teacher is pass a math test? I took the practice
> "Middle Grades 5-9 Mathematics" test on the Florida web site and
> got 25/30. I don't know yet what a passing score/percentage is, but with
> some studying, I know I could pass. Seems odd that I could become licensed
> to teach math without much coursework or experience. But if that's the
> case, then I don't see why I *shouldn't* do that, if it'll increase my
> chances of getting a job.
-----------------
Well, I could be wrong but that's what I remember about the process and looks to still be the case based on my brief perusal of the Fl DoE site.

That is based on the fact that you fully qualify for your original professional certification based on state certification and/or education, degree etc.

Also as Shad implied, having the certification without significant experience is only going to get you so far in a school that you would really want to work at. And, you don't really need other certs if you have a strong qualification and experience in ESL. Search has like 70 ESL jobs listed right now and of the 20 or so I clicked on, all were full time ESL positions.
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

I think it'll be a hard sell to convince my husband to get certified. And I don't want to force him to take a career path he doesn't really want to take. He did say he'd be willing to do tech support or web site work for a school, so even if a school doesn't want or need that, at least we can offer it.

I will focus on ESL for now, but it's nice to know I have a math certification option. I wouldn't mind teaching middle school math.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kellysensei

Glad to not be discouraging. You need to get out of Minnesota. I would pass on FL though, the top choices for you would be either DC, or Hawaii, as Hawaii is a WASC district and extremely strong and popular in Japan, and DC is a NEASC district which is more popular in Europe. Both districts allow certification solely by taking the certification test, and in both cases they accept Praxis exams which you can take all year long in the states or at selected times overseas including in Japan. That makes travel cost for examinations VERY convenient. A couple other issues:

Hawaii:
1) No transcripts, no fingerprints, no criminal background check. Just an application, employment verification, and a copy of your certification.
2) The standard certificate is for 5 years and renewable.
3) Expensive about $240 to apply/renew.
4) Accept Praxis Exams (you can take the practice exams)
5) Have a very long and detailed list of certifications. They have a Math 6-12 certification.
6) Less Prestige than CA or east coast.
7) Very flexible PD
8) Three years prior successful teaching experience

DC:
1) Need transcripts, application, certification and traditional background check.
2) Level 2 certificate is good for 4 years and renewable.
3) Cheaper fee is only $50
4) Accept Praxis exams
5) Can provide opportunities to add admin credential very easily compared to other states.
6) Very flexible PD
7) No previous teaching experience required

Another option is Texas which is very similar to FL, in that you have to take the Texas and Florida specific tests, though they are offered out of state. I find FL better if your only seeking a small number of certifications, because of the expense of applying and renewing each certification. Texas is cheaper if you have a lot of certifications.

If your interested in being certified as a librarian, Colorado is the only state that has an assessment only option. You get Colorado certification, take an exam and your certified as a librarian.

At some point though you want to park your certification in CA, as the CLEAR credential has NO PD renewal requirements (just pay the fee).

What ever secondary certification you pursue and wherever you pursue it, you need all level secondary meaning grades 6-12, you wont be considered marketable with only a middle years 6-8, or 5-9 math certification, the expectation is that if a school is hiring a math teacher your qualified to teach the whole subject to all grade levels. It really is going to be a deal breaker in the vast number of cases.
Seattle75

Re: Reply

Post by Seattle75 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @kellysensei
>
------deleted----------
> Lastly, if you meet the DODEA requirements and you really want to go to JP,
> ESOL is a marketable field in DoDDS especially if you can combine it with
> Ed. Tech. The benefit is that your family logistical issues vanish and
> basically are no longer issues in DoDDS.

Hi. How marketable is ESOL, alone or in combination with other requirements? I haven't seen any DODEA position specifically advertised for ESOL. However, I intend to apply for a French DODEA teaching position(s) being currently advertised (location and number of positions are not clear, as it's a blanket ad for several languages). I'm qualified and experienced in both areas: French-FRA native speaker, taught it at uni level, and I teach English to foreign students in US intensive 10-week English university programs. I have a M.Ed. in TESOL. I also taught English in Asia for a few years, one year of that in a university.

I have scant K12-level experience, aside for private French tutoring of a few IB international school students while working abroad, and while there also one year teaching English to all ages in a language school. I'm currently in the process of getting a K12 state certification for ESOL/French/Social Science.

Any info/evaluation would be very welcome from anyone already working in the system.

S.
Last edited by Seattle75 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lookingforlefty

Post by lookingforlefty »

DODEA or even Aramco are more likely to look for things common to the American public school market, like special ed. But we're really talking about hitting the jackpot of jackpots with DODEA. I am an IB teacher at a decent school and I would happily give it all up for ANY job at DODEA.

I wouldn't advise anyone with two kids to even think of entering the international school market unless one of the couple can offer something like Math HL or Physics. Even if some crappy school hires you, it's just not worth it. Lots of schools with a good name are terrible places to work. In public schools, if the kids are bad, that's sort of expected. In international schools, that bad a-hole kid is also the client, and remember, the customer is always right.

I think it's fair to say that most international schools could care less about teachers and view them as completely interchangeable. So expensive teachers (ie those with kids) are a no go, and if you have the slightest problem with one, just replace it with a new one! Unless you're single and have something useful to sell, it can be a threadbare existence where you're not always safe or treated with respect. If that happens to you, it also happens to your kids.

If you are currently a public school teacher in a good district, it is quite possible (probable) that you are better off than most of us--and certainly better off than I would be if I had kids.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Seattle75

DODEA/DODDS doesnt post specific job vacancies for teachers. They use an online application system called EAS for recruiting and filling positions. This year it was discovered (actually had known about it for a while, but this year DODEA had to do something about it) about a number of Host nationals (locals) who teach the DoDDS cultural program at various schools, that these teachers were assigned to foreign language courses when they were not eligible for the appointments as a result of not being US citizens. As a result DODEA went on a hiring search to replace them, and most have them have already had reappointment made, or the individuals in question are in the process or have become eligible for those appointments.

It sounds like you would be qualified for ESOL once you have certification (your probably DODEA qualified without the certification). There are few full time ESOL positions. Teaching ESOL is often a part time position combined with something else, and French or social studies/ELA would fill up a full time schedule for you.

DODDS is imploding, and its going to be very difficult to get a position with them currently or in the near future. You really have to have a odd combination of qualifications or be the equivalent of a walking school. With your limited teaching experience (most DODDS teachers have a decade of experience) youre not going to be very marketable.

You can access the EAS application system here:
http://www.dodea.edu/Offices/HR/onlinea ... cation.cfm

I would submit and complete the application now, and you may get lucky, but many teachers wait years to get an offer if they ever do. DoDDS has to be your plan C. Recruiting starts in June'ish, and ends around October'ish. If your name makes a principals referral list you will receive an automated email from EAS. It doesnt mean you will get interviewed, but its a good indicator that you may.
Seattle75

Re: Reply

Post by Seattle75 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Seattle75

> I would submit and complete the application now, and you may get lucky, but
> many teachers wait years to get an offer if they ever do. DoDDS has to be
> your plan C. Recruiting starts in June'ish, and ends around October'ish.
> If your name makes a principals referral list you will receive an automated
> email from EAS. It doesnt mean you will get interviewed, but its a good
> indicator that you may.

Hi. Thanks for the detailed reply. I wasn't aware of the underlying reason for some of the opened positions, and indeed this is not my plan A, as I understand the low odds of selection. The job closes in June, so I still have time to apply; getting my state cert first is a must for me, because Praxis exams are mandatory, BS a state cert will wave the requirement. The license remains useful and marketable whatever happens.

Thanks for the help!

S.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Seattle75

The state certification will also save you 50% or half of the required hours needed for certification. Its likely if you were to add other certification areas, your general education courses and other major associated courses may qualify you for other areas as well. Even though "technically" you dont need to be certified to qualify for a DoDDS certification, outside of veterans it just doesnt happen.