Licensure questions (for split positions)

Seattle75

Re: Licensure questions (for split positions)

Post by Seattle75 »

"Even though "technically" you dont need to be certified to qualify for a DoDDS certification, outside of veterans it just doesnt happen."

Yes, I think so. The job ad calls for Praxis exams anyhow. I'll give it a shot anyway. What are the odds that they'd be looking for French teachers in Japan? :)

S.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Seattle75

No it doesnt. The requirements are:

1) Bachelors degree.
2) 24/30 hours of coursework in the teaching area.
3) 18 hours of professional education course work.
4) Passing scores on the Praxis I and II
5) A field experience/internship OR 1 year of experience as an "educator"

There is no requirement to have a teaching certificate or license.

The requirements were designed so that service members could meet the requirements overseas without having to complete a specific state educator preparation program, which were limited to field experience within that specific state as a requirement to be licensed.

All of the secondary schools in Japan have a french teacher in their foreign language programs. Those positions have VERY low turnover though, french teachers (especially if single language qualifications) stay until they die. You would really need to have several languages to be marketable.
Seattle75

Re: Licensure questions (for split positions)

Post by Seattle75 »

"No it doesnt. The requirements are:"

Actually, I was agreeing with you, as the ad specifies "either/or" when it comes to the license; my point was that if I'm going to go through the Praxis, I might as well get licensed. I'm well in the clear regarding education and teaching hours requirements.

S.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Seattle75

My mistake, I read your post wrong. Very sorry for any offense. I agree completely why go through all the trouble and work if your not going to pay the application fee and get an actual license.

The Praxis isnt hard, you should be fine.