Age Related Question

WiseTeach

Age Related Question

Post by WiseTeach »

I am curious about how those in hiring positions look at age status. I am 58, former counselor in an IB school, moved to administration in another post where I am currently working. I feel I would like to work about 5 to 7 more years, but next fall if I decide to go casting about for another admin. position in yet another school... will I be looked at as too old? Honest but kind answers please. (I am aware that some countries... have age limits) Input appreciated thanks.
sciteach

Re: Age Related Question

Post by sciteach »

It's an odd thing to say - but many admin types are around your age anyway. As such - I don't see it as being a major problem. If you were a classroom teacher - it may limit your opportunities with some schools but would be seen as an advantage at others due to your experience...
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

Thanks. I did go back and re-read the Blog on this issue and others seem to concur with your statement Upper end ages seem to be accepted de facto in administration. I appreciate your response.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur, age is less an issue for admins as long as they can get a visa. For a teacher your pretty much unemployable.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

You know psy guy.... for the longest time I couldn't figure out why others on this site disliked you so much. For someone with "PSY" at the beginning of your screen name, you sure aren't too savvy on interpersonal communication.
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

Hey, Wise Teach. You are NOT unemployable as a teacher. I'm also 58 and have two schools very actively pursuing me before the San Francisco job fair. One actually contacted me to apply for a position at their school that I had never even had contact with before. They scanned tons of dossiers to find me. After a Skype interview of eight finalists it's now narrowed down to one other candidate and myself. This is a great school with a wonderful reputation as well as a great benefits package. No fifth tier school for this girl!!! :) This is BEFORE I even get to the job fair! I also have a non teaching spouse. :) Follow your dream and if you wish to pursue other schools next year-go for it!!!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WiseTeach

I thought you wanted a direct answer to your question, without the hand holding and ego stroking?
Your 58, your getting very close to the visa cap, and even if you werent, how do you make a career of it at your age. Your looking at 6 years if everything goes perfect before you can pension out of somewhere in Europe, and even if all other factors were equal, why would a HOS/admin/recruiter hire someone who is closer to their peer, then someone who is their lessor, it just makes them easier to manage. The value of experience is grossly misrepresented, admins want grunts who are followers, not leaders who are going to challenge them.

All that aside, the problems and challenges older ITs have at your age is not an illusion, discrimination of all types is very real and alive in the IE field.

@Lexie

You havent been hired yet, the only thing that matters is offers. I know many older teachers who want to finally see the world, they register go to fairs and they get nothing. If you are hired, youll be the exception not the rule, and thats why I wrote "pretty much" unemployable.
senator

Post by senator »

Hey, Psyguy,

I'm in my mid-fifties and I work out every day and teach in American public schools with energy to burn!

You may be middle-aged and out of shape, but don't tell us that age maens you can't hack it.

Gotta go shovel 2 more feet of snow then hit the gym!

"Psy" guy. HAHAHA. Change your name to Pie Guy!
PIEGUY

Post by PIEGUY »

I'm 62 and recently signed a new contract with a 'Tier 2' school in a country/city which is top of my list. I'm not in a specialized or hard to fill subject area.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

You dont think I take care of myself? What would allow you to make a reasonable conclusion that your of superior physical form than I am?

Dont delude yourself, and think discrimination and age discrimination doesnt exist.
None of that matters though, age/race/gender discrimination have nothing to do with merit, or ability they are by their very definition factors that ignore those characteristics. None of those attributes you describe will mean anything or even see the light of day or an interview if an IS looks at your passport page or deduces your age from your resume, and you never make the short list. You have to get to talk to them in an interview to demonstrate and convince them your age isnt an issue.

Even if it wasnt with visa and immigration caps it doesnt matter what condition your in, it matters the number of years youve been alive, and as you approach those caps, you become less and less desirable and employable the fewer eligible working years you have remaining.

Perhaps that is one advantage of fairs, in that the admin/recruiter cant ignore the physical form of the individual applying, making the applicant underrepresented/valued on paper.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

PsyGuy - I asked for helpful kind answers. Yours was neither. Just sayin your communication skills could use some polish. You are rather a bore as well.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

No, you asked for honest and kind answers, I erred on the side of honest.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i don't think it's impossible, especially for an admin. position.
a former IB counselor? do you still work in IB or at an international school?
you're so close to the end brother but you gotta do what you gotta do.
follow what your gut tells you. i wish i could say age wouldn't play a factor
but i seem to remember some countries have an age cap of 58 (singapore maybe?).

good luck either way!

v.