When did you get hired?

bananas

When did you get hired?

Post by bananas »

Hello everyone, I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm having trouble searching it, so just wondering about your experiences this year or in the past. When did you get hired (as in what month)? I haven't hardly heard anything and I'm starting to get nervous about my prospects! My dream job took down their posting and I haven't heard back from them so I'm starting to get a bit disheartened. Is there still hope?
EUExplorer

Re: When did you get hired?

Post by EUExplorer »

Hi Bananas,

This is the chronology of my "hiring history", from working around the globe at five international schools:

1st international position: Hired in May of the previous school year (via TieOnline, phone interviews)

2nd international position: Hired in November of the previous school year (via direct correspondence with school, phone interviews)

3rd international position: Hired in February of previous year (ISS Boston fair)

4th international position: Hired in January of previous year (via TieOnline, Skype interviews)

5th international position: Hired in December of previous yeat (via direct correspondence with school, phone interviews)
National

Post by National »

1st position - hired at end of February
2nd position - hired at end of January

But to add to the picture, I have a friend who has had four different positions and was hired for all of them in April. He never bothers with Search and just uses TIE and applies directly to the schools. He doesn't start looking in earnest until February usually.

So...there is definitely still hope! You may not get your dream school, but you can still get a solid school that will get you the experience you need to be more competitive for your next recruiting cycle. Keep up the applications and stay positive. I know it is hard -- the recruiting process is brutal and can really wear you down as it drags on. But again, there is still plenty of hope. Schools hire up until August and you can find some real gems that come up late because of last minute resignations, new positions, maternity leave, etc.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

First overseas job - hired in December.
Second overseas job - hired in April
Third overseas job - hired in December
Fourth overseas job - hired in December
Fifth overseas job - hired in January

But I know people who got hired in June, people who have been hired in November (freaking November, man! haha), people hired in May, etc.

Just keep plugging away - there is something out there somewhere for ya!
interteach

Post by interteach »

I'm in a high-demand field so my experience may be different but with strong experience and recommendations the following is possible for anyone, as I know other people with similar experiences:

1st job: Hired in January
2nd job: Hired in November
3rd job: Hired the night before Cambridge fair
4th job: Hired in October
bananas

Post by bananas »

Thanks everyone for helping me keep my spirits up! I am not in a high needs area (I do social sciences), and I have also crossed off most of southeast Asia from my list (health conditions make it difficult for me to live in tropical areas) so I know I've already narrowed my chances there. But something will come up at the right time, I just need to learn patience! :-D
darwin

Post by darwin »

Teaching couple, both IB DP examiners each with 15+ years in IB

First int'l post: early February (SEARCH Cambridge)
2nd int'l post: end of October (Skype)
3rd int'l post (this year): early November (Skype)
prince15

Post by prince15 »

1st post: End of January (Job Fair)
2nd post: End of March (Phone Interview)
3rd post: End of April (Skype Interview)
4th post: End of February (Job Fair)
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

Teaching Couple with lots of experience but not in high demand areas. No IB when we started out.

1st School: UNI fair in February
2nd School: Search Cambridge fair in February
3rd School: Skype interviews in early January (but after BKK fair)
profe

Post by profe »

1st: December as a local hire for a January start - 1 dependent
2nd: January at London Search- 2 dependents
3rd: February via telephone after striking out at London Search, 3 dependents
4th: Early April, contacted school directly, 2 Skype interviews
5th: Current job search; started in October, have applied to 35 schools, still looking.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

1st Position (Feb - starting in March). Position advertised on online job website. Newer MYP/DP School in Asian country
2nd Position (April - Search Associates Skype Interview) - Tier 1 North Asian School. I did not start looking until late March.
3rd Position (February - Search Associates Skype Interview) - Central Asia
4th Position (January - Search Associates Job Fair) - Well established North Asian MYP/DP School

I will say that good quality candidates which turn up later in the recruiting season (meaning March onwards) get contacted directly by schools quite a bit. This is due to many of the 'percieved' more employable candidates already being taken by this time.

If you have a reasonable amount of international experience with good references - looking late does have it's advantages as some good schools do have jobs which come up later in the year due to unforseen circumstances.

At a job fair I recently attended - one of the associates mentioned that one person was offered a contract within 4 hours of joining search associates. It was in June or July - which shows that there are still jobs available at this time. This was of course an anomoly....
cdn

Post by cdn »

My wife and I are relatively new to the profession:

1st Position (May/June) - I had just graduated and our home country prospects were grim. Middle East Job posted on site. Skype interview. Not a great location, but it allowed us to get established in IT and we worked with some very good people.
2nd Position (Jan. Search Fair) - "Tier One" school in Asia. Combination of a few things let us land this post - including a healthy dose of luck and timing. There won't be a 3rd posting for the foreseeable future!
kaccomaz

Post by kaccomaz »

First post: October Skype interview

Second post: December 16 this year, after several Skype interviews

Have you had anyone look at your resume? PM me if you want another set of eyes on it...

There are still jobs being posted every day. I wouldn't worry yet, Are you going to go to a fair?
teacherguy

Post by teacherguy »

Social sciences is a tough one. We're a dime a dozen on the international circuit. I started applying for openings seen on TIE and ISS in November. I sent out 55 applications by Jan. 1. I received six real human responses. Of those six I had four schools interview me via Skype. Three happened in early December. One was a no go immediately. The person interviewing and I did not click at all. The other two went great. Thought i would get offers, only to receive the dreaded "we loved you, but we decided to go with a teaching couple," email. My final interview(s), which was in early January, led to a job offer.

Job 1- February at UNI Fair.
Job 2- March, via networking, I knew the director.
Job 3- June! Cold call offer after the original teacher backed out.
Job 4- April. The school I'm currently at. They start recruiting late, and the recruitment/interview process is long. I had my first interview in February.

There's still hope and time.
mamava

Post by mamava »

Job 1: February--no job fair (but we were willing to meet the school head where he was attending a fair)
Job 2: Bangkok Job Fair
Job 3: Mid-December, no job fair

In the first 2 jobs we had easily contacted 50+ schools. On Job 3, we hadn't fully committed to leaving, so we targeted 17-20 schools and had decided if it wasn't one of those, we'd stay on. We got the interview and the job right before Christmas break.