Renewing a US drivers license when you work overseas

sid

Re: Renewing a US drivers license when you work overseas

Post by sid »

I'm not from there, but once in the distant past, I obtained a license there. I seem to recall it was quite easy. I was living overseas, my US license from another state was due to expire within the year, and I happened to be visiting friends in Florida. The details are hazy, but I think I did something like subscribe to a magazine in my name at their house, brought the magazine and my out-of-state license to the DMV, claimed I was living there, and bob's your uncle. I definitely didn't take over their utility bill or have anything more official, just some mail I'd received there.
But that was years ago. Check the DMV website.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

So you could just scan and Photoshop your name and address on too anything and that could have worked just as well?
sid

Re: Renewing a US drivers license when you work overseas

Post by sid »

Things change over the years, and in particular security and identity measures have changed in the US since 9-11. Renewing passports and drivers licenses is much harder than it used to be, but drivers licences still vary by state, so check the DMV's website. The old tricks of smudgy fax or cut and paste work less often than they used to.