How to list a trailing spouse on Search?

sjreed

How to list a trailing spouse on Search?

Post by sjreed »

I'm a qualified teacher looking for a position, and my spouse would trail me. My spouse works online so can do it from anywhere in the world and be totally financially independent so wouldn't be a financial strain on any school I work for. The only thing is that we would of course want to live together so if I guess if the school provides housing that would be an expense. Should I list my spouse's profession on Search Associates or just say nothing about it? Would the income separate from mine have any sort of sway in hiring decisions? Thanks!
shadowjack

Re: How to list a trailing spouse on Search?

Post by shadowjack »

I would be up front with it in your cover letter. Also use the Search data base to eliminate schools where a trailing spouse is a no-go. In your online intro letter, also make it clear.

Bottom line is, if a school wants you, they will take your spouse as your one dependent. If you have kids, that limits you more...
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

Ask yourself if you need to list them at all. If they don't need assistance getting a spousal visa from your school (which is likely only possible if you are married anyway) then it shouldn't impact on your job search. Just check the information on schools beforehand and only apply to those which give a housing allowance.
sid

Post by sid »

Be open and up front. Having a trailing spouse, especially one who already has realistic plans for keeping busy, is not a big deal. Schools will not really mind, except the truly impoverished ones. But you do need to let them know, because in almost every country/school it is important. Usually a trailing spouse is eligible for annual flights, medical insurance, a bigger apartment or housing allowance for the two of you... stuff like that. If you want to tell the school that you don't need those things, they will probably say "awesome". (Or just take them - why not?) If you get hired before mentioning him, it could be seen as dishonest, especially as those things could be seen as incentives for your not mentioning him. So you have nothing to lose by telling the truth, and something to lose if you don't mention him.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

Have a read through this thread, you might find it relevant. This presuming they are a girlfriend/boyfriend of course, not your actual (married) spouse.
http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... f=1&t=3703