Expired credentials?

bananas

Expired credentials?

Post by bananas »

At the moment I only have one current teaching credential, but I have in the past held credentials in 4 other countries. Because I'm not particularly interested in going back to those countries, I've let them expire. But I have seen some postings say that expired licenses are still ok? Is it ok for me to leave all the credentials listed on my resume, or should I only have the one that is not expired?
sid

Re: Expired credentials?

Post by sid »

I would lean toward not putting them, but if you have extra space on your CV, you could use them to fill things up a bit. Why do I suspect that with that many national certifications, you don't have extra space?
If you do put them, you must indicate they are expired. To do otherwise is tantamount to a lie.
Like this:
Teaching Credential, University of Addis Abbaba, valid 1998-2008
etc
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I had the same issue applying this year, but I am curious about how you had credentials from 4 different countries. My issue was with my State certifications in the US. In one State I had multiple certifications, which expired. In another, I am certified in only one general subject area, which is still current. I put on my resume both, but listed the expired ones as 'previous' and the other one as 'current'. Got the job I wanted in the area that had expired. Truly, it is only expired because the State has ridiculous renewing requirements that seem impossible to renew from abroad.
bananas

Post by bananas »

sid wrote:
"Why do I suspect that with that many national certifications, you don't have extra space?"

Yea, that's true, I'm struggling to fit it all in anyways so I don't really need them to be there. It just came up because most of them have expired in the interim between the last time I job searched and now so I've already sent out some CVs with them listed simply because I didn't think to remove them. In those cases if I get called about it I guess I'll just have to explain that, which hopefully won't be too big of a deal.