ACS Amman

runningsloth

ACS Amman

Post by runningsloth »

Could anybody give an updated view on the school, package, etc. for the American Community School of Amman? The reviews overall are pretty positive and I am hearing good things about it currently but would like to know some specifics. Thanks
emilysue1212

Re: ACS Amman

Post by emilysue1212 »

Don't have any specifics as I don't work there, but know several people who do work there and have loved the school and experience. Many have stayed 5+ years (and many more stay longer). Unless things have drastically changed in the past 3 years, it's a great school!
runningsloth

Post by runningsloth »

Thanks for your perspective, Emily. I keep hearing similar things, so I am just going to assume that this is one of those better schools that falls under the radar. If somebody has specifics on the school or firsthand experience, I would love to hear your views!
Mike

Post by Mike »

They have a great headmaster! And Jordan is super cool!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I worked there a several years ago and loved it. The students were great, and class size, particularly in the high school, seemed to be very manageable. All the expat hires get a car that is leased to them for such small monthly amount. You don't have to worry about insurance, as the auto insurance is covered by the school automatically. I remember weekends being able to take leisurely drives to the Dead Sea and grading papers in a most relaxing environment. Of course, weekend trips to Pertra was something we did in groups.

Teacher housing, at least a few years ago, was miles from school, and the teachers were put in several apartment blocs. I had a three bedroom apartment, completely furnished, and loved it. You really do have your own privacy. I drove to school everyday.

I found the Jordanians to be perhaps the friendliest in the Middle East (just my opinion). I'd be on the street taking a walk, and I always was treated well.

I remember the high school graduation being in Jerash, a place of ancient Roman ruins. Not too many students can boast about their high school graduation being in the sort of setting.

I just can't think of one negative aspect that would cause you to turn it down. The story I like to tell people is this one winter it snowed in Amman, and I mean really snowed. One night we had about a foot or more of snow, and we heard there were no snowplows in the whole city. We had no school for three days, because we had to wait until snow melted on the streets. Most people just don't think it snow in the part of the world. It does!

Anyway, my opinion on ACS.

Rob
bbgun25

Post by bbgun25 »

I have family members that have worked there for 4 years and they like it to a certain extent. The school is growing and the leadership is strong. They are trying to become to top school in the region and in all honesty they are on their way. New school infrastructure, nice living spaces, and a fair package. The only drawbacks are that it is a busy, crowded city, it is hard to find outdoor spaces to play with your kids, and it is not as cheap and some would expect. But since the majority of your time will be spent at school, it is a good place to check out.
runningsloth

Post by runningsloth »

Thanks for your viewpoint bbgun. Everything you have said is something I have heard as well both positives and negatives. I think the school is certainly on it's way up to being the top school in the region. It already pays more than AS Dubai.