Shallow question about clothing choices @ fairs

MizMorton

Shallow question about clothing choices @ fairs

Post by MizMorton »

This will be my first fair coming up. As Oprah says, there are shoes for standing and shoes for sitting... Is there a lot of time on your feet at these things? Just wondering if I can wear my pretty "sitting" shoes or should I go with my more sensible standing shoes.

Hey. *shrug* One needs to know these things.
heyteach

Re: Shallow question about clothing choices @ fairs

Post by heyteach »

I had not heard that expression before. ALL my shoes are for standing (walking, running, hiking, gardening); no "sitting" shoes.

You will be spending a lot of time racing from one interview to another, and will probably find that the stairs are faster than the elevators. There will probably be some sort of social as well, requiring standing.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Definitely plan on spending a lot of time on your feet! You don't want to have them killing you even when you are sitting during an interview.
sid

Post by sid »

You will be on your feet a lot, and I recommend shoes that both look nice and don't pinch too much. The challenge is that you MUST, without question, look top notch professional, so you can't dress down even in shoes.
One strategy is to book a room in the hotel so you can nip in whenever you have s minute and switch to slippers. Walking back and forth to another hotel just means lots more walking in interview shoes.
Good luck.
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

Got it! Thanks!
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

I was very surprised at some of the clothing choices I saw at the London fair! Along with suits and office wear, I saw quite a few people just wearing jumpers, or maybe what they'd wear on the weekend (floaty tops, lots of jewellery), even one woman wearing Ugg boots with her suit. For all I know they were fantastic candidates and it didn't deter any schools from taking them seriously, but you might as well make the effort to dress professionally for just one weekend..!
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

Oh Jesus, Uggs! Haah! No, I am not going to wear sneakers with a suit. But some of my professional shoes are more comfortable than others.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Those floaty top/loads of jewelry people tend to be the art teachers at the schools I've worked at! :D