sjreed

Post by sjreed »

Thanks!
Last edited by sjreed on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: How much is too much?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. Sorry for your stress and uncertainty. These things always seem even more magnified when life changing decisions potentially revolve around the choices you make.

The good news is that I don't think asking if the principal wanted to meet would get you black-listed as such. The principal may or may not have liked it, but if you live nearby and they really wanted to interview you, chances are they would have set up a meeting outside of the fair. Admin are not supposed to have interviews with candidates until after interview sign up session at the fair but virtually everyone does it these days.

The bad news is that apparently they just weren't that into you (i.e. seriously interested enough in your candidacy). It happens sometimes that admin will through out a comment and we seize on it (especially if it is at a great school/location). The hard truth is that if they really want you then they will pursue you.

Now, sometimes you can create/stimulate interest in you, but you have no control over how many candidates are sitting at a fair that weekend that the admin already has half fallen in love with.

In any case, it doesn't hurt to write again. You have no way of knowing what's really going on behind the scenes and so it pays to hope and act for the best and expect the worst.
sjreed

Re: How much is too much?

Post by sjreed »

Thanks wrldtrvlr123! I'm trying not to get invested too much in any specific school but I have to admit I was very excited when I got the email! He probably did just end up finding someone at the fair and decided not to pursue me anymore... I just keep making up bad situations in my head that are probably way out of proportion! I'll shoot him another email in another week or so and then leave it at that...
sid

Re: Thanks :-)

Post by sid »

Honestly, as a recruiter, I can say that so often, the reason a candidate isn't selected has very little to do with whether they could or couldn't do the job. Frankly, most (not all) applicants who get far enough for a personal response from the school, could do the job well enough. So who gets picked is a complex algorithm involving many questions you will never know and have no control over. The school has too many males in that department already. The other candidate is married to a chemistry teacher. Someone just turned up who will be just as good but a local hire. Someone already teaching at the school transferred into that post. And so many more.
Take heart, keep going.
sjreed

Re: Thanks :-)

Post by sjreed »

Thanks Sid, I've been starting to get a bit down on myself but I have to keep remembering that it's most likely not me and just "keep on truckin'!"