Best agency for counselors? Is there a difference?

Curt

Best agency for counselors? Is there a difference?

Post by Curt »

I recently signed up with Search Associates, based on advice from an old schoolmate. I wish I had thought of posting here before I did that but, what's done is done. This schoolmate started as a Language Arts teacher with Search and gradually became a college counselor when one of her schools asked her to start advising students on it. She has now switched full-time to counseling - she's been in 5 or 6 different schools and used Search for every job.

I, on the other hand, am a teacher who went back to school for master's in counseling and do not have full-time counseling experience. I am looking for a counseling position only.

So, is there a difference between SA or ISS for counselors? Should I sign up for ISS as well?

Can someone with experience share?

I will be going to the UNI fair next week and am waiting to hear back if I'll be invited to the Boston/Cambridge Search fair.
nikkor

Re: Best agency for counselors? Is there a difference?

Post by nikkor »

I've used both agencies, and search is the one I prefer. The anonymous ratings and letters of rec are helpful to those who do the hiring.

This year there is a definite shortage of quality high school counselors with relevant experience. Based on my own situation, and talking to friends at other tier one schools, we feel that there is no one on the Search database that stands out. This should be a golden opportunity for a less-qualified candidate who can really court a school and show them that they are ready to step up.
Curt

Post by Curt »

Thank you Nikkor. It sounds as if you are knowledgeable about the hiring process and I appreciate your response. It heartens me to think that there are real possibilities out there. My mindset has been that I may have to accept a less than ideal position because of my lack of counseling experience.

I notice you use the word "court" - any advice on what is essential to successfully court a desirable school (Tier One or otherwise) from a counselor point of view?
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

Nikkor's reply is why this forum is so dangerous for the casual user.

First he says that there is a definite shortage of quality high school counselors with relevant experience. This is false. I am at London and I know for a fact this is false.

Then he throws out the tier one line, as if one person's tier one is another person's tier one. Again, just basing my impression off of what people here in London would call tier one would give me as many different answers as their are people in attendance here in London.

Finally he says that, "we feel that there is no one on the Search database that stands out." This means that Nikkor doesn't know what a good college counselor looks like or he is simply not looking at the Search Database at all. There are some amazing counseling candidates this year with very diverse and valuable experiences.

In London the school counseling postings were relatively few and pretty much Asia-centric. These locations have a harder time recruiting great candidates in London because many come to London for the European schools.

UNI is great if you are just entering the field or if you are single or if you really like Asia/ME or if you are all of the above.

Good luck Curt but remember that this forum has so few contributors that it's very dangerous to take anything you read here as gospel. It can be helpful if put in context, but it is not the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Curt

Post by Curt »

Thanks for your input reisgio. I'm aware that a "Tier One" school is variable depending on what one desires.

"UNI is great if you are just entering the field or if you are single or if you really like Asia/ME or if you are all of the above."

2 out of 3. I'm looking forward to UNI but really don't care for many of the locations. Out of 32 job postings there's about five that I would consider attractive and 3 of those are in Thailand. From what I gather Thailand is pretty attractive so it may be tough to get one of those jobs as a first year inexperienced counselor.

I am well aware that we all have to start somewhere so even if it's not ideal, I'll take it. I'm hoping Search comes through with some attractive options and I will continue looking for and applying to schools on my own as well.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

What level counseling position are you trying for? High school, middle school, or elementary school?

If you're going to be a high school counselor, I would encourage you to look into attending the Overseas ACAC summer conference. Maybe a school that will hire you will pay for this conference, but it would be worth your while to self-pay even if they don't. This is a good chance to network. While it will probably be too late to impact this year's job as the conference is in July (in Eugene, Oregon this year at U of Oregon), these contacts can make a big difference after you've completed your first two year contract.

High school counseling positions are often hired very early in the season (October, November) when there is a known opening (expansion, someone giving early notice), and often potential candidates hear about these positions from friends before they're posted.

I think SA is better for the fact they represent more schools. I'd highly encourage you sign up for TIEonline as well though. In past years they continued to have school counseling and college counseling (if that's an interest) into the Spring (March, April, May) though generally at lower tiered school (my opinion).

Thailand is generally considered an attractive spot. China probably has seen the largest growth in Asia and is not considered very attractive so I'd expect the competition to be less.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Hi Resigio,

Take my perspective for what you will. However, Eion_Padraig is correct, many highly sought after high school counseling positions do generally get filled in Oct or Nov, well before the BKK fair. Unsurprisingly, the most qualified, well-known counselors get those jobs.
Curt

Post by Curt »

eion_padraig wrote:
> What level counseling position are you trying for? High school, middle
> school, or elementary school?

High school or middle. Long-term, high school for sure, especially college counseling.

> If you're going to be a high school counselor, I would encourage you to
> look into attending the Overseas ACAC summer conference.

Yes, my friend I mentioned told me about it. It looks great.

> . This is a good chance to network.

OK, I will definitely consider it. I do have significant student debt though, so I may have to wait a bit. Getting a school to pay for it would be really cool. In fact, I'll bring it up if negotiating a package.

> High school counseling positions are often hired very early in the season
> (October, November)

Shoot. I guess we'll see what I can find.

> I think SA is better for the fact they represent more schools. I'd highly
> encourage you sign up for TIEonline as well though.

I was considering signing up for TIE as I have not been too impressed with JoyJobs. Thanks for the tip. I may wait until after UNI though.

> Thailand is generally considered an attractive spot.

Yes, that's what I've seen and read in various places. My friends would be SO jealous if I landed a job there. My single guy friends I mean!

>China probably has seen the largest growth in Asia and is not considered very attractive so
> I'd expect the competition to be less.

Good to know. I'm not too crazy about it. I'd rather Korea and Japan if we're talking NE Asia. I've seen some of the salaries posted though and that may be enticing.
Curt

Post by Curt »

This professional development workshop is interesting as well, and it's run by the College Board

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/p ... titute-int