8 month old and vaccinations

gwenla

8 month old and vaccinations

Post by gwenla »

Has anyone traveled to or lived in Latin America with an 8 month old? I know this could be an obnoxious question, but we want to make sure we're taking proper precautions with our little one.

What did you do about vaccinations that aren't available until they're 2 years old? Also, about dengue fever?

My thinking is that because all of these schools are frequented by affluent families, the area in which the schools are located, and therefore the areas where we will live, will be low risk. Is this logical? Should we be concerned?

We welcome your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
shadowjack

Re: 8 month old and vaccinations

Post by shadowjack »

Families live in the areas where you will be living. Some kids get the disease, others don't.

Don't assume anything about where you will be living. However, people in South America do get vaccinated too, you know.

Overall, I would not be too too worried about this. Read up on it and ask questions of your school.

just my two cents

shad
gwenla

Post by gwenla »

Shad, thanks for the feedback. I think I agree. First world problems/ridiculous worries, right? But we're new and want to make sure we're not making too many novice mistakes.
Did you travel with an infant?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Our kids were both under 5 when we headed out on the circuit. I know many teachers who have had children overseas, often multiple children. Vaccination is pretty much a global thing, so you can expect similar coverage in most countries of the world, especially given the WHO and its emphasis on eradicating or severely limiting common diseases. You are right to be concerned and ask questions - that's how you find out things.

Good luck on your new adventure!

shad